how to apply for a Prison Officer job

Ask any question you like, prison officers are here to answer you!

Moderator: Chryo

how to apply for a Prison Officer job

Postby sylwia » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:12 pm

Hi

Can anyone tell me how to apply for a Prison Officer job? I heard the first step is to fill in an online application form but i can not find it on the HMP website. Can someone advice me on that?
Many thanks
sylwia

Re: how to apply for a Prison Officer job

Postby falkor » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:25 pm

this is probably your best bet http://www.justice.gov.uk/jobs/index.htm good luck, M
falkor
Navigator
Navigator

Alignment: 'Shade'

Postby Sylwia » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:58 am

Thank you very much for your quick reply. I had a look on the website you suggested. Could you please tell me if I can sent my application form now and try to move to the next stage or do I have to wait until some vacancies will arise as I haven't notice there any application form.
What I have done is I registered my email to receive jobs vacancies when they arise. Sadly it look like there aren't any Prison Officer jobs going at the moment anywhere.
I guess it will be a long journey to get a job.......

Sorry to bother you again but I am totally new to all this and I am determined to get a job in the Prison service.I consider any location. Also...I am thinking on pursuing the book ,,How to become a Prison Officer so I can get some idea about the recruitment process. Do you think it is a good idea?

Thank you in advance for your help and sorry for any mistakes. Still improving my english !
Sylwia

Postby DONT JOIN » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:05 pm

I would look elsewhere for a job as this jobs about to go down the plug hole wholesale.

Some are just clingling on in the hope of an exit package, people are also leaving all the time, however

if seems you didnt search enough

https://www21.i-grasp.com/fe/tpl_hmps03 ... +and+Apply

Send/Downview advertising
DONT JOIN

Postby sylwia » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:31 pm

hey

I've noticed those vacancies today, they must have added it last night as yesterday there wasn't any.

Well.... that is not very optimistic what you have said. Do you work in the prison that you know this?

Plus they cut jobs everywhere sooner or later so whatever job I will choose to do there is no quarantee that I will keep it for as long as I want. At least in the prison they offer quite good salary and opportunities to progress which is great as this is something what I am after!

I can not work for the rest of my life earning the minimum wage for goodness sake!!
sylwia

Postby Your Choice » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:35 pm

Yes i am employed by HMPS 20years in and now misrable.

Your choice, if it's what you want go for it.

This job is gone as far as i and others are concerned. Till the management and system changes it will be a mere job you do and nothing more for very little pay and no reward.

I i don't hear any good things about Downview esp. it's Governor.

But hey good luck
Your Choice

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:33 pm

I am confused now. I was hoping I made the right decision but now I am not so sure.
You said pay is not that good... It says on the website that starting salary for Prison officer is 18k-19k which I think is quite a lot for me anyway as now I have been earning 13k per annun. For me as a foreigner that is a lot of money to start with.
I searched the Internet a lot hoping to find some comments from people working in Prison preferably women so I knew for sure what I go for but there are not many comments plus they are outdated.
Do you know how your female colleagues feel about working in Prison?
How many female does the prison you work in employ?

Thanks in advance for your time

Postby Asisaidyourchoice » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:59 pm

If you think that is good money for the job you go for it, i see the day to day running of a jail and i think the pay at the bottom end stinks for the things you go through.

You have a choice, if you join and you like it stay, however if you don't leave.

Just be ready to be left waiting for an answer on your tests/RAD etc and don't expect them to rush you in also they will promise you the earth then deny any deals were made.

But as i said, you go for it, it's your life after all.
Asisaidyourchoice

Postby Janissary » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:37 pm

It is an incredibly tangled recruitment process, though it is improving.

The job itself can be good fun, you can still have a laugh. Just keep your wits about you.
Janissary
Official Member
Official Member

Member No: 7210
Style: prosilver

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:47 pm

Hi Janissary

I have noticed that you are online. Would you mind a quick chat? I would really appreciate that

Postby sylwia » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:52 pm

I read some opinion that is better to apply first for OSG as it will help to understand what the Prison Officer job is about .Do you agree with that? What is the pay in comparison to Prison Ofiicer ?ans also is it easier to get a job as OSG ?
sylwia

Postby Janissary » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:03 pm

sylwia wrote:I read some opinion that is better to apply first for OSG as it will help to understand what the Prison Officer job is about .Do you agree with that? What is the pay in comparison to Prison Ofiicer ?ans also is it easier to get a job as OSG ?

Pay for OSG is about £2500 a year below Officer pay. There's a lot less hassle, similar uniform, not much responsibility (in the scheme of things), still can be a decent laugh and can be quite varied. It is also certainly easier to get a job as an OSG. It's an interview only and lots of the candidates aren't fantastic.

Being an OSG will help you if you choose to become an Officer later on, but most OSGs don't make the step up and often don't want to make the step up. In many respects they're two very different jobs attracting different mixes of people.
Janissary
Official Member
Official Member

Postby sylwia » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:53 pm

Thank you very much for your response. I will be definitely applying for OSG first then and I will see how it goes and then eventually I will take it from there. Are there many women working in the Prison?
I assume most of the staff is male
sylwia

Postby sylwia » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:02 pm

Also what do you mean by saying that most of the candidates aren't fantastic?
Do you mean that they don't come across on the interview very well and still get a job??
Isn't it difficult to get this job?

Many thanks for your time. Really appreciated!!!
sylwia

Postby Janissary » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:08 pm

sylwia wrote:Also what do you mean by saying that most of the candidates aren't fantastic?
Do you mean that they don't come across on the interview very well and still get a job??
Isn't it difficult to get this job?

Many thanks for your time. Really appreciated!!!

Standards of OSG recruitment are better now than they were, there's some distinctly low calibre people who got through years ago. I know of one prison who interviewed for 5/6 OSG positions and had to readvertise because there were only a few people who made the grade. Just bone up on the prison and its role, answer the questions they ask sensibly and you'll be ok.

Plenty of women work across the prison estate. as a percentage there are certainly more women working in OSG roles compared to frontline Officer roles but there won't be a shortage of female Officers in most prisons. The two prisons advertising for Officers at the moment are female prisons and are open for female only applications at this moment in time.
Janissary
Official Member
Official Member

Next

• Threads Bundle on Prison Officer.Org.UK

Return to Ask a Prison Officer