thought for the day
we must get away from this notion that criminals need to be punished. why should they be punished? :slno: this is an outmoded method of dealing with a person who committed a crime. they should be held in custody, preferably for a short a time as possible, so it doesn't cost too much and if when they are released, they then commit a further crime, well even then they still don't deserve punishment, instead they should be welcomed back into custody, preferably for an even shorter time than previously, so it costs even less than the first time. when released back onto the poor old UK public again, if they commit a further crime again, well - it's to be expected. the UK have a 'REVOLVING DOOR JUSTICE system,' it's not that good at actually providing justice for the UK public, but it is cheap and that's what counts :slsad:

now place your mouse top right of this announcement, click on X

Having second thoughts

Ask any question you like, prison officers are here to answer you!

Moderator: Chryo

Nash
Registered Member
Registered Member

Having second thoughts

Post by Nash » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:51 pm

Just past vetting and been allocated prison but I'm seriously having second thoughts. All the scare stories regarding attacks on officers, spice attacks, not getting off shift on time all the time to name but a few. Is it really worth it for a smidge over £20k?

Yesterday I got this explanation off an ex officer regarding the atmosphere in a jail. He likened it to being in a pub where it's going to kick off and that atmosphere is present constantly. I don't really want to go to work everyday with adrenalin pumping through my body. He also pointed out the amount of people that leave and more so who leave in their first year.

Is this a true reflection of real life in a prison for staff? Or, is he over egging the pudding.? I want to try and make an informed choice but also the right choice.

NeedToKnowBasis
Gold Committee Member
Gold Committee Member
Alignment: 'Shadow'
Sacred: 'Hemlock'

Re: Having second thoughts

Post by NeedToKnowBasis » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:12 pm

Been in the job for over 20 years... it's stressful, but I'm still here.

I can honestly say I've had more good times than I've had bad.

Jail is a unique environment that simply doesn't suit everyone but no-one can answer the question of is it right for you. If you speak to ex-staff, they left for a reason and maybe aren't likely to be un-biased. If you speak to serving staff and they tell you it's a terrible job - ask them why they're still in it.

Many people leave for many reasons. Many people stay for just as many reasons.

NTKB :slda:
Don't be lazy. Prison Officers are expected to find information for themselves. Research is part of the POELT course!
Search first, ask later! Think-Search-Ask!

liammostyn
Banned Member

Post by liammostyn » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:15 pm

I find myself stuck between a rock and a hard place at the moment at work.... I simply do not like it, yet I am still there..... Just.

I have been in one year now and I dont think its me. (God knows why Its took me this long to decide)

In my opinion, Its the other staff that are the problem, not the offenders. From what I have experienced, the offenders are lovely compared to other staff, who always are out to get you. I do wonder what people's motives are when they are at work...Why not have an easy life, getting on with other staff - thats how I do things.
:slyay: :slRA2: :slvo: :sljo:

Nash
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Nash » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:26 pm

I'm really surprised at the issue with other staff. That's a whole new perspective from what I've heard before. Although good answers neither has answered my main concern. Does it feel like it's going to kick off constantly whilst you are on shift? Where by you have to be continually on edge to the point you can't enjoy your work?

NeedToKnowBasis
Gold Committee Member
Gold Committee Member

Post by NeedToKnowBasis » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:50 pm

Short answer... in my experience, no.

And the above is NOT my experience of staff.

Don't be lazy. Prison Officers are expected to find information for themselves. Research is part of the POELT course!

anewstart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Sacred: 'Vulcan'

Post by anewstart » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:19 am

:slag: :slag: :slag:

I agree 100% with NTKB, and as someone who used to run pubs, bars & nightclubs i know what you mean and the only time when I've felt what you're talking about is when one incident has happened and 'some' of the other prisoners on the spur are agitated BUT in that scenario you'll usually have a lot of staff present anyway.

I guess it depends on different prisons but most prisoners are like toddlers in adults bodies, always asking questions, not able to do much for themselves, frequently annoying and prone to temper tantrums :slsh:

CP81
Official Member
Official Member

Post by CP81 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:01 am

I've been in just over a year now and I don't regret signing up. We've had a bad month or so on the wings I work on and it's been testing to say the least.The atmosphere can sometimes be edgy but at other times it's great. It really is a day to day thing in my opinion. If you are a nervous person in general then it may not be for you, after all you're going to be surrounded by some not very nice people for periods of time when the numbers are against you. The staff have only ever been great with me so I can't comment further on that. I think in both cases if you show respect you will get respect back.

NeedToKnowBasis
Gold Committee Member
Gold Committee Member

Post by NeedToKnowBasis » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:11 am

liammostyn wrote:...other staff, who always are out to get you...
If:

BOB is out to get YOU...
JOHN is out to get YOU...
JANE is out to get YOU...
BILL is out to get YOU...
ANDREW is out to get YOU...
SUSAN is out to get YOU...
BRIAN is out to get YOU...
GILL is out to get YOU...
FRED is out to get YOU...
etc. etc.

Then:

YOU need to identify the common thread in all these relationships and then YOU will have found the problem... :slcup: :sldoh:

Abu Kaboom
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Abu Kaboom » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:35 am

Hahaha!
I'm sure that the lad will be waking up with a sore today.
Inshallah... Allahu Akbar.

Sillybilly01
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Sillybilly01 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:12 pm

There is obviously staff you won't get on with. But on my wing there is a great team of staff. Bit odd that the staff 'are out to get you'.
When you have the right staff on, you can have a great day on any wing and have a laugh at the same time. All depends on the staff on the day I find.

liammostyn
Banned Member

Post by liammostyn » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:21 pm

NeedToKnowBasis wrote:
liammostyn wrote:...other staff, who always are out to get you...
If:

BOB is out to get YOU...
JOHN is out to get YOU...
JANE is out to get YOU...
BILL is out to get YOU...
ANDREW is out to get YOU...
SUSAN is out to get YOU...
BRIAN is out to get YOU...
GILL is out to get YOU...
FRED is out to get YOU...
etc. etc.

Then:

YOU need to identify the common thread in all these relationships and then YOU will have found the problem... :slcup: :sldoh:

I actually disagree with what you are saying. As with most of the things you say, I think its a load of shite.

I certainly am not the issue. Other staff quite obviously have issues that they need to start controlling. I am only ever accommodating and nice to other staff, unless they rub me up the wrong way... then Its a different story. Quite a lot of staff need to take the rod out of their arse and wake up, smell the coffee, that includes you NTKB.
Last edited by falkor on Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: formatting assistance

NeedToKnowBasis
Gold Committee Member
Gold Committee Member

Post by NeedToKnowBasis » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:37 pm

All the other staff have issues they need to control... but not YOU... :slno:

I apparently talk rubbish... but not YOU... :slno:

Everyone else needs to get the rods out of their behinds... but not YOU... :slno:

Everyone needs to wake up and smell the coffee... but not YOU... :slno:

There's definitely a common element here but I just can't seem to pin-point what it is... can YOU? :slno:

Anyone? :slhl:

liammostyn
Banned Member

Post by liammostyn » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:22 pm

I'm Afraid I'm im the same boat as you here NTKB, I too can not decipher the common element.

Abu Kaboom
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Abu Kaboom » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:57 pm

Er... The common thread is you bud.
Just in case, you don't understand the irony of NTKB's post, he is saying that if all of your muckers do genuinely hate you, then maybe its because of the fact that you are a bit of a twat.
This is not my personal view of you, as I don't know you, but merely my interpretation of NTKB's post.
I hope that this helps with clarification.
Inshallah... Allahu Akbar.

liammostyn
Banned Member

Post by liammostyn » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:56 am

Ken, FYI - I am not thick as two short planks.

I totally understood what my dear friend NTKB was suggesting in his post.

I DO NOT however agree with his comments. I think he has his head in the clouds, as you also seem to.

Its very sad to see that staff in the prison service seem to have Grandiose delusions, in fact, maybe even delusional misidentification syndrome in some cases. (NTKB, more so delusional misidentification syndrome)

Locked Previous topicNext topic