Moderator: Chryo

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Shade'

A private prison in central Florida

Post by falkor » Sun May 01, 2011 8:28 am

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/04/30/2 ... shows.html
A private prison in central Florida serves as a cautionary flag to lawmakers looking to expand for-profit incarceration as a way to avoid future budget shortfalls.
By Steve Bousquet, Times/Herald Tallahassee Bureau

MILTON -- - Deep in the Panhandle sits what could be the future of Florida prisons, where inmates in an air-conditioned fortress watch high-def TVs, wear comfortable Crocs-style shoes and take courses in life skills and literacy.

But what looks at first glance like a success story of prison privatization should raise caution flags with legislators looking to expand for-profit incarceration as a way to avoid future budget shortfalls.

Blackwater River Correctional Facility, the newest and largest private prison in Florida, houses about 2,000 inmates in Santa Rosa County, east of Pensacola. Concrete and steel sit on 55 acres just north of U.S. 90, surrounded by 10-foot-high razor wire as far as the eye can see.

"If you had to be someplace, you’d want to be here," said state Rep. Doug Broxson, R-Milton, whose district includes the prison.

Blackwater, which opened last fall after a major political dispute in the Capitol, is operated by the GEO Group, a prison and health care conglomerate based in Boca Raton. While the prison was constructed to house inmates with complex medical problems such as HIV or mental health issues, those inmates are not here.

On a recent visit, all 12 isolation cells for inmates with psychiatric crises were dark and empty.

The most troublesome inmates - those prone to violence, mentally ill, suicidal and with complex health problems requiring costly drugs - live just down the road, a mile away. They are at the state-run, high-security Santa Rosa Correctional Institution, where warden Randy Tifft routinely awaits the transfer of an inmate at Blackwater who has tried to hurt himself or someone else.

"They have the cream of the crop at Blackwater," Tifft says. "Their inmates are not on any type of psychiatric drugs and do not require any type of psychiatric care. We have the worst population in the state. If an inmate at Blackwater tries to kill himself, they send him to me."

It’s common for the state to spend as much as $1,000 a day on psychotropic drugs for some of Santa Rosa’s inmates, Tifft said. The Santa Rosa prison staff speaks casually about CSUs and TCUs - crisis stabilization units and temporary care units - terms not heard at nearby Blackwater.

Gov. Rick Scott’s new prisons chief, Edwin Buss, is frustrated that Blackwater is not housing the inmates it was designed for, and he plans to do something about it.

"It is perfectly built to keep an eye on offenders who may try to commit suicide, who may try to cut themselves or try to do harm to themselves or others. There is no excuse for why we’re not housing that type of offender there," Buss said. "GEO is going to have to step up."

GEO is under contract to run the prison at a cost of at least 7 percent less than a state prison and still must make money for the company. GEO does it through a combination of cost-cutting, cheaper labor, recycled water, new technology, and by managing some of the least challenging inmates in the nation’s third-largest prison system.

A small example of Blackwater’s thrift is that the prison bought light-fitting, durable Crocs-style shoes for all inmates, while the state prison system had to seek bids for similar gear.

Blackwater also saves money on its few hundred
Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/04/30/2 ... z1L5U06lap
UK planning forums got a planning application in the UK?

Jon6456
Committee Member
Committee Member
Alignment: 'Shade'
Sacred: 'Ranger'

Re: A private prison in central Florida

Post by Jon6456 » Sun May 01, 2011 4:49 pm

Very interesting reading, the comment about them not taking self harmers , or basically staff intensive prisoners to be able to run a prison 7% cheaper than the state sums it all up really.

I heard this the other day , It shocked me....but didn't surprise me....Is it true that private sector prisons in the UK are fined for prisoners being on ACCT's ? Can anyone shed a light on this?

Belfast 87
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Belfast 87 » Sun May 01, 2011 6:04 pm

GEO take over the courts & the Vans from August this year apart from the London area

Belfast 87
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Belfast 87 » Sun May 01, 2011 6:05 pm

Jon6456 wrote:I heard this the other day , It shocked me....but didn't surprise me....Is it true that private sector prisons in the UK are fined for prisoners being on ACCT's ? Can anyone shed a light on this?

as far as I know no its not true

pucklechurch
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pucklechurch » Sun May 01, 2011 8:39 pm

No fines for the amount of ACCTS its just another myth.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic