Committee Member
Committee Member
Alignment: 'Shade'
Sacred: 'Ranger'

Prison service admits considerable staff corruption threat

Post by Jon6456 » Wed May 04, 2011 5:41 pm

Wednesday 04 May 2011

Channel 4 news

As a prison officer in London is jailed for two years for corruption, Channel 4 News obtains an internal prison service document warning about the scale of the threat.

http://www.channel4.com/news/prison-ser ... ion-threat?

Why do we think this is happening? low wages? , poor vetting ?

kristorf
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: Prison service admits considerable staff corruption thre

Post by kristorf » Wed May 04, 2011 6:18 pm

There will always be corruption (its just the higher up they are they can afford better lawyers and ways out).

Absolutaly no sympathy for anyone caught though

spike
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by spike » Wed May 04, 2011 6:22 pm

kristorf wrote:There will always be corruption (its just the higher up they are they can afford better lawyers and ways out).

Absolutaly no sympathy for anyone caught though
agree with kristorf however if wages decline and poorer conditions feel it will only get worse

Easylife
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Easylife » Wed May 04, 2011 9:16 pm

Maybe blind eyes are being turned or quality control altered to allow certain so called protected Groups to be represented at the correct level.
I think we all know that happens.
A kite rises higher against the wind,then with it.

Wanderer
Committee Member
Committee Member
Class: 'Chain Master'
Alignment: 'Thunder'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by Wanderer » Wed May 04, 2011 9:31 pm

Have not had a gate search at my establishment since i joined HUMMMMMMMMMMMMM says it all really :slbg:
Where the best just isn't good enough anymore

Binky
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Binky » Wed May 04, 2011 9:36 pm

I don't think there's a single answer as to why it happens which is why it's virtually impossible to detect and stop, makes us all look like c***s though....to be blunt! Oh and my magic ball predicts another possible high profile news story in a similar vein in the coming weeks. Great!

Easylife
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Easylife » Wed May 04, 2011 10:13 pm

Binky wrote:I don't think there's a single answer as to why it happens which is why it's virtually impossible to detect and stop, makes us all look like c***s though....to be blunt! Oh and my magic ball predicts another possible high profile news story in a similar vein in the coming weeks. Great!

Warning issued due to Language used and post edited.Please read forum rules regarding language.Thanks.

Binky
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Binky » Wed May 04, 2011 10:35 pm

oops, curse my filthy mouth :)

Easylife
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Easylife » Wed May 04, 2011 10:43 pm

Binky wrote:oops, curse my filthy mouth :)
:slbg: No drama mate ! :slbg:

But where would we be if had no rules ? .......France !

And where would we be if we had too many ? Germany !

Jon6456
Committee Member
Committee Member
Alignment: 'Shade'

Post by Jon6456 » Wed May 04, 2011 11:18 pm

Easylife wrote:
Binky wrote:oops, curse my filthy mouth :)
:slbg: No drama mate ! :slbg:

But where would we be if had no rules ? .......France !

And where would we be if we had too many ? Germany !
lol :) ok landlord :)

Aslan

Post by Aslan » Thu May 05, 2011 7:46 am

"Steve Gillan, General Secretary of the Prison Officers' Association, told Channel 4 News the problem was "minuscule", but stressed that his members remained vigilant."I would accept that there is a problem, but I don't believe the problem is widespread, I actually believe the problem is minuscule," he said."

I think this view doesn't help the cause to stamp out corruption - it is certainly geographically widespread, i.e there will be corruption in almost every establishment, and figures I heard a couple of years ago were that about 1500 staff were identified in intelligence nationally (undoubtedly more now) - an average of over 10 staff in each establishment. I can understand the NEC wanting to deflect the public view from corrupt prison officers and protect professionalism but in most establishments this is serious stuff for our safety. "Miniscule" was a wrong, and inaccurate, description.

kristorf
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by kristorf » Thu May 05, 2011 5:58 pm

What is classed as corruption?

At my place we suddenly had an 'anti-corruption' dept appear, run by three governors (justifying jobs anyone?) that suddenly decided that
making a brew for a cleaner was going over the line, as was giving a con a biscuit with said brew. (I wonder what happened to the 'know your
cons' ethos I was taught?)

Don't get me wrong, I think all those caught deserve everthing they get, and I hope all those not yet caught do so soon.
However, there now appears a culture of 'lets broaden the corruption meaning' so as to catch more people, be it uniformed or civvy, to bump figures/weighted score cards/promotion prospect etc with little common sence being applied.

Easylife
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Easylife » Thu May 05, 2011 6:24 pm

Aslan wrote:"Steve Gillan, General Secretary of the Prison Officers' Association, told Channel 4 News the problem was "minuscule", but stressed that his members remained vigilant."I would accept that there is a problem, but I don't believe the problem is widespread, I actually believe the problem is minuscule," he said."

I think this view doesn't help the cause to stamp out corruption - it is certainly geographically widespread, i.e there will be corruption in almost every establishment, and figures I heard a couple of years ago were that about 1500 staff were identified in intelligence nationally (undoubtedly more now) - an average of over 10 staff in each establishment. I can understand the NEC wanting to deflect the public view from corrupt prison officers and protect professionalism but in most establishments this is serious stuff for our safety. "Miniscule" was a wrong, and inaccurate, description.
I think this is complete cobblers personally ,10 staff in each establishment ? come off it ! and the amount of corruption in the service is small compared to what it will be with the wage decreases being imposed.
Take away the pride of being a prison officer and you really will see corruption a huge scale.

Aslan

Post by Aslan » Thu May 05, 2011 6:55 pm

"From Times Online July 31, 2006
Corruption within the Prison Service is rife, according to a leaked report which reveals that there are more than 1,000 officers involved in corrupt practices. The report, which is the result of a one-year inquiry by the Metropolitan police and the Prison Service’s anti-corruption unit, was leaked to the BBC."

Easylife - see above; you need to be more aware of corruption if you agree with the NEC view - the above from 2006, increased to 1500 2 years ago, and presumably more now.

ZzoL
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by ZzoL » Thu May 05, 2011 10:11 pm

I think wages are a big part of it. I was actually speaking to a prisoner on the landing about this last week - for a standard phone, i could get £300 pounds. he knows that some prisoners would pay up to £500, even £600 for a phone with wifi, a camera etc. as an officer two in my first year who earns over 2.5k a year in local allowance on top of what i earn i take home just over 1300 a month. i could earn almost half of what i take home in a month from one phone. the guys without local allowance who take home just over 1100 a month thats over half there monthly wage, from one phone. guys who have families to support, bills to pay. so is it any wonder that an officer would be tempted?

of course no sympathy for anyone who would actually do it, but i can understand why they would

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic