thought for the day
we must get away from this notion that criminals need to be punished. why should they be punished? :slno: this is an outmoded method of dealing with a person who committed a crime. they should be held in custody, preferably for a short a time as possible, so it doesn't cost too much and if when they are released, they then commit a further crime, well even then they still don't deserve punishment, instead they should be welcomed back into custody, preferably for an even shorter time than previously, so it costs even less than the first time. when released back onto the poor old UK public again, if they commit a further crime again, well - it's to be expected. the UK have a 'REVOLVING DOOR JUSTICE system,' it's not that good at actually providing justice for the UK public, but it is cheap and that's what counts :slsad:

now place your mouse top right of this announcement, click on X

biometric roll call system at HMP ISIS

high profile stories and issues for Prison Officers

Moderator: Chryo

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Shade'

biometric roll call system at HMP ISIS

Post by falkor » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:58 am

Alan Travis, home affairs editor, The Guardian, Thursday 19 January 2012
Almost daily breakdowns in the operation of a cutting-edge biometric roll call system at a new London prison have paralysed its regime, sometimes for hours on end, an official inspection report has revealed.

Nick Hardwick, the chief inspector of prisons, says the system, under which "100% of prisoners, 100% of the time had to leave an electronic thumbprint" whenever they moved from one part of the jail to another, bedevilled the operation of the entire jail.

HMP Isis opened in July 2010 next to Belmarsh prison in Thamesmead, south-east London, as a training prison for young men aged 18 to 25. It was the first new public prison for 20 years.

But inspectors say that since it opened the jail has faced enormous problems in recruiting staff, and dealing with an influx of prisoners in the immediate aftermath of the riots last August, as well as problems with its new technology.

Hardwick says the roll call system using thumprints has severely disrupted education, training and work at the jail.

Despite moves by the justice secretary, Kenneth Clarke, to get prisoners to work a 40-hour week, inspectors found that more than half the inmates were locked in their cells during the working part of the day.

The inspectors say the electronic roll call system was partly to blame. "If one thumbprint failed to register, the roll check did not tally and all prisoner movement halted – sometimes for hours – until a manual check could be done. This happened once or twice a day on each day of the inspection, with the result that education, training, work and other activities were severely disrupted," says the report, published on Thursday.

The inspectors say Isis prison has made progress since it first opened but has a long way to go.

They point to poor staff-prisoner relationships as being at the heart of the problem, with relatively inexperienced new recruits and staff drafted in from other jails resorting
UK planning forums got a planning application in the UK?

Poor Staff my A%^%^

Re: biometric roll call system at HMP ISIS

Post by Poor Staff my A%^%^ » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:14 pm

Yh they point at staff, how about this

Management are spineless, knee jerk penal policy, no leadership, no control and people who think 18-21/25 year olds should be treated with kid gloves.

All the above needs to change first then the staff may have the tools to do their job with CONFIDENCE and in the KNOWLEDGE THEY WILL BE SUPPOTED BY THEIR MANAGERS.

HARDWICK, get a grip and actully report on the WHOLE JAIL CRISIS rather than if a con thinks they were racially abused on reception and how many think the food is below McDonalds standard.

Yoi jails up and down the country are in danger of becoming battle grounds and we get this report.

purplepig20
Counsellor
Counsellor

Post by purplepig20 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:14 pm

Almost daily breakdowns in the operation of a cutting-edge biometric roll call system at a new London prison have paralysed its regime, sometimes for hours on end
Their TOIL must be through the roof!! :slbli:
If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur!

stitchedup

Post by stitchedup » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:43 pm

Nick Hardwick- Clarke's glovepuppet.

Annoyed!!!

Post by Annoyed!!! » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:26 pm

Having worked at Isis since it opened it has been a farce from day 1 compared to most jails. We work every day in the face of a violent and volatile population with ratios of staff to prisoners that no YOI would work at. With little leadership from SO grades let alone Senior management the staff are left to fend for themselves the majority of the time.

This report has destroyed what was left of the little morale we actually had left, when Spurr and his chums decide to solve our staffing issues and identify the causes behind such poor staff retention then this may improve.

And for the record the biometrics systems works day in day out, its the roll counts themselves compared to the biometrics which is the issue as is pointed out in the report which the Guardian clearly failed to read properly

Officer

Post by Officer » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:28 pm

as a member of staff who has done DD there I would agree that this new biometric system is awful, It needs the compliance of all prisoners to sign out and in of areas, which means a member of staff has to supervise at all times, why this staff member cannot be used to do a manual roll board is beyound me.

Touching on the poor staff relationships... The prisoners there believe that they will be jumped on by staff for the slightest thing, it is complety foreign to them that an officer will stand and talk to them and defuse a situation before the prisoner even realise what has happened. This is down to the young in service staff that have no 'older' staff to learn off,

Also as the Isis member of staff has stated, there is NO support from S.O upwards, I went to an alarm bell and passed some governors and asked them to lock a gate behind me.... they walked off and left the gate wide open... WTF.

Screen
Rookie Member

Post by Screen » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:26 am

Annoyed!!! wrote:Having worked at Isis since it opened it has been a farce from day 1 compared to most jails. We work every day in the face of a violent and volatile population with ratios of staff to prisoners that no YOI would work at. With little leadership from SO grades let alone Senior management the staff are left to fend for themselves the majority of the time.

This report has destroyed what was left of the little morale we actually had left, when Spurr and his chums decide to solve our staffing issues and identify the causes behind such poor staff retention then this may improve.

And for the record the biometrics systems works day in day out, its the roll counts themselves compared to the biometrics which is the issue as is pointed out in the report which the Guardian clearly failed to read properly
Hi

I have just posted requesting some information on Isis at the moment. I see you work there currently, would you be able to provide me with some information/advice please. I am starting my training next week and it looks like I will be starting Isis in June. I am slightly apprehensive after reading some of the information that has posted about Isis.

Thanks

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic