kanga1990
Official Member
Official Member
Class: 'Chain Master'
Alignment: 'Shade'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

HMP Aylesbury

Post by kanga1990 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:45 am

ITV Documentry set to air on the 18th Feb.

A SHOCKING documentary on HMP Aylesbury will show the moment convicts threaten to cut an inmate’s throat with broken glass – but get off SCOT-FREE.
The three thugs, all aged under 21, kidnapped the unsuspecting criminal and barricaded themselves in a cell during filming for the ITV exposé last year.
And as prison officers desperately try to negotiate the hostage’s release, one of his baying captors is heard screaming: “I’ll slice his f****** neck to bits.”
After three hours, staff gain control and the offenders are taken to the segregation wing.
But while they have their sentences extended for kidnap, they do NOT face charges over their threats because the victim is too scared to testify.The horrifying scenes give a harrowing insight into the Buckinghamshire prison, home to some of Britain’s most dangerous young offenders.
One in five inmates is serving a life sentence or indeterminate sentence to protect the public.
On the programme, induction officer Leanne Morgan said: “Every time anyone new comes in, they are nervous.
“The violent incidents that do take place are very, very serious. A lot of weapons are used.
“You could have a pool cue around the head, or a prison-made weapon in the throat, chest or forehead.
“And it’s not one-on-one here — it could be six-on-one. If staff didn’t intervene, potentially we could have deaths.”
Last night, the makers of the documentary — set to air on February 18 — said they saw even more shocking acts take place.
Series director and producer Lee Phillips said: “The most horrendous incidents we saw won’t be shown, either because of sensitivity or because they are still going through the judicial process.
“Those incidents were very serious — they include the attempted murder of a prison officer who was stabbed in the face 20-plus times.”

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sh ... z2KDGCYOYN
Pre Fair and Sustainable.

snowdrop342
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Re: HMP Aylesbury

Post by snowdrop342 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:56 am

I'll watch this programme but -if as I suspect- the place is in disarray,the cons at this stablishment as well as all others should be locked up 23 hours each & every day.

old sweat
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by old sweat » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:58 pm

I'm totally shocked that this sort of behavior is happening in UK prisons ! This is complete news to me! I thought prisons were safe places to work in :wink: Stabbings hostage taking must be a episode from a TV drama !

snowdrop342
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by snowdrop342 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:07 pm

Is that a little touch of sarcasm I detect!!!!! I think Joe Public will be shocked when he/she sees this appalling behaviour 'within these walls.' Don't forget we're supposed to 'rehabilitate' these scumbags.Beggars belief as this cannot be done to some/most cons. I only hope that this will be viewed by all inc Ministers & the Governors/IMB of this YOI.Perhaps many questions will be asked about the 'caring for Staff/Staff welfare' policies that should be in place as we're often told that Staff welfare is paramount.I for one however have failed to see it or indeed find it in two decades of wearing The Queen's Crown. It will be interesting viewing to say the least & for sure I expect to be embarrassed once again by HMPS.

BoxerfanUK
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by BoxerfanUK » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:46 pm

Many many many moons ago HMYCC (at the time) Aylesbury was my joining establishment on entering HMPS. I did a month there before joining the 'gentleman' Officers :slbg: training course at Leyhill. I have to say I was quite happy NOT to be posted back there (got London as most of us did). It was a god awful place 30 years ago so god only knows what it must be like now!! At the time every member of staff that I spoke had a transfer request in and nobody had a good word to say about the place.... and that was in the 'good old days' :sloo:

Extremely happy to be within my last 12 months of service. It was once a good job working for a proud service... NO LONGER. Retirement can't come soon enough and I can honestly say that I won't miss this job at all, not even for a nanosecond :slby:

HBP
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by HBP » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:42 pm

i have to say i wish we were looked after and respected as much as the staff in the American prison system,it looks much safer working over there, than here in my experience of a number of Establishments in the UK where on occasions i have felt very vulnerable.

ZzoL
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by ZzoL » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:46 pm

HBP wrote:i have to say i wish we were looked after and respected as much as the staff in the American prison system,it looks much safer working over there, than here in my experience of a number of Establishments in the UK where on occasions i have felt very vulnerable.
you say that but have a look at

http://www.odmp.org

for 2012 i counted 10 deaths of correctional officers, and thats assuming that everyone is listed on that site. Now i do not deny, they look safer what with the guns, the body armor etc etc BUT there is a reason they NEED all that kit. They are look after and respected more, but i think there job has more danger then ours.

wolf
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sacred: 'Priest'

Post by wolf » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:24 pm

I work at a YOI, and have been subject to being assaulted,had urine chucked in my face,prisoners with weapons coming at me, Ive seen it all at our place, role on VEDS!

snowdrop342
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by snowdrop342 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:13 pm

Wolf-I have it good authority that there will ber a national VEDS offer for Officers in the next couple of months.Like you I am eager to submit my request for it asap.This poor excuse for what's left of a public service makes me really embarrassed to be part of it.Morale-or distinct lack of it- is at an all time low & sinks further every time I draw keys.Poor spineless 'management' who take more interest in cons than Staff.Who have more concern for PC issues & furthering their own interest(s) than actually treating Staff fairly & being supportive to us.My days are most certainly numbered & I'd like to think that I will be out in the next few months before summer. Roll on!

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Shade'

Post by falkor » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:34 pm

LOCAL NEWSPAPER COVERAGE
“You sort of see them as human beings as opposed to monsters. There’s certainly a few damaged and damaging people in there.

“I think it’s very raw and uncompromising.”

Mr Phillips said the first one hour programme explores the relationship between prisoners whereas the second looks at the prison officers’ relationship with those convicted.

The institute holds long term male inmates between the ages of 17 and 21 with more than 10 percent serving life sentences.
should be worth seeing but you've got another 7 days to go yet
Monday 18th February at 9:00pm on ITV
Her Majesty's Prison Aylesbury, Episode 1: Observational documentary series filmed over five months in the UK's most notorious young offenders institution. HMP Aylesbury houses some of the most dangerous criminals in Britain, including murderers, rapists, violent gang members and paedophiles. One in five of the inmates is serving a life or indeterminate sentence, but what makes this prison exceptional and disturbing is that the oldest among them is just 21. London gangs are dominant here
the UK's most notorious young offenders institution? is that fair?
UK planning forums got a planning application in the UK?

unhappyjailer
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by unhappyjailer » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:32 am

These lads are the future. Adult jails will get worse as time goes on because more of this type will move from young offender prisons into the adult estate. The future is going to be like the wild west.

I remember speaking with a leading gang member once about his life etc and his crimes, which were numerous and very serious, and he said "if you think im scary wait til you see the young ones coming behind me, they scare me to death"
I only go home from work so i can experience the sheer joy of returning......

gh1978
Official Member
Official Member

Post by gh1978 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:59 pm

the UK's most notorious young offenders institution? is that fair?
I wouldn't have said it was fair no. If you asked Joe Public, to name a Young Offenders Institute, I doubt Aylesbury would be the first name off their tongue.

snowdrop342
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by snowdrop342 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:15 pm

@gh 1978-you're probably right what you say but when this show airs on monday,Joe Public will see what Staff have to unfortunately deal with on a daily basis.Some will feel sorry for these little cherubims & think that they should be counselled.The majority however will hopefully see them for what they are-scumbags who deserve to be locked up from society.Having dealt with YOs in the past to a lesser degree,I know first hand how difficult they can be on occasions.My thoughts as ever remain with the Staff & the problems that they deal with & the subsequent complaints that arise from these individuals who feel sometimes that they've been wronged by Staff.Though as ever these cons cannot/will not & refuse to accept responsibilities for their own actions.Indeed that's why they are banged up there in the first place!

purplepig20
Counsellor
Counsellor

Post by purplepig20 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:23 pm

I'm watching it on ITV+1 right now, and only 10 minutes in I'm thanking my lucky stars that I work in an adult male jail. These young guys are so volatile and violent, it's really scary. :slsh2:

I really admire anyone working in Juvenile/YOI estate. It's a really tough job. :slcl: :slcl:

Mr Grayling, if you really think that cutting staff in prisons is necessary, well, all I can say is that I hope you'll be able to sleep at night when people die - all because you think saving money is more important. :slst: :slst: :slst: :slst:
If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur!

old sweat
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by old sweat » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:42 pm

Made interesting reading.The program just shows how professional, compassionate and dedicated the officers are, in such a dangerous and volatile place. This sort of work is also being done in all prisons, private and public sector on a daily basis.So is our job an average one that should pay average or in many cases under average national wages! What do you think?

I read recently that a lot of what goes on cannot be shown as it is too violent and disturbing, Why ? HMP Aylesbury should be show warts and all. If viewers are offended then good. welcome to our not so perfect world. :slsh:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic