• Active Topics  Back Forward Stop Play

Alternative fitness test?

Ask any question you like, prison officers are here to answer you!

Moderator: Chryo

sprog
Registered Member
Registered Member

Alternative fitness test?

Post by sprog » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:46 pm

I remember reading somewhere , quite possibly on this site a few years ago, that there was an alternative fitness test that an officer could do if for some reason they couldn't do their normal fitness test due to temporary injury. I'm asking for a colleague as our POA have no knowledge of it. I seem to recall that the use of a bike, probably a static fitness bike, was mentioned. Does anyone else remember this or was I just imagining it?
Thanks for any reply even if its only you must have been bloody dreaming you nugget.

kristorf
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: Alternative fitness test?

Post by kristorf » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:17 pm

I know people who have used the bike, enquire with your bronzed gods, sorry, PEI's

gaoler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by gaoler » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:53 pm

There is but there must be a medical reason to do this... And its not an easier option... Something to do with heart rates.... Your fitness tester will advise you better.

sprog
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by sprog » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:25 pm

Thanks for the info received. I've got new info to pass on to my colleague that should determine whether they go down this route or not. First time that someone has actually been in danger of failing their fitness test here, bit of an eye opener to some I can tell you.

snowdrop342
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by snowdrop342 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:51 pm

Hi sprog,please also bear in mind that 'management' could use this as a tool to finish someone as they are not fulfilling their contract obligation.Obviously they would have to give someone the necessary help & warnings but in this day & age-who knows?

sprog
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by sprog » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:58 pm

Yep and thats exactly why peoples eyes are being opened, the thought that you can be out for not being able to complete your fitness test never seemed to occur to them. Some of us had said that from the start, but we're doom-mongers don't you know...

snowdrop342
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by snowdrop342 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:10 pm

No not doom mongers-just realists.Some of us can see through all this facade & realise that this 'public service' is virtually finishedTthe powers that be want everything that's public-privatised. You only have to look around & see what's happening to the other services. Public service=BAD,private=good in some people's opinion. I disagree as do many but we just get shafted time & time again. What with WFM,PSPRB,Pensions,newer T&Cs,SBC etc etc etc............ far too many for me to even remember clearly.

ZzoL
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by ZzoL » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:29 am

this job has quite a physical demanding side will all know that. if you can't push or pull 35kg or reach is it 5.2/5/8? on a bleep test then are you going to be able to restrain a prisoner? i know C+R is technique rather then strength but until you have a 3 officer team with locks on its a fight/self defense. now i am not saying thats it fair or right to make a 67 year old do this test. or do the same test as a 27 year old but anyone under the age of 60 should be able to do this test with out a problem if you have looked after yourself. if you choose to let yourself go by the wayside then so be it.

lets say you haven't, lets say its medical or just you aged quicker or worser then most, thats fair enough but again if you can't do this most basic of fitness tests can you deal with a steroid filled con? i personally for myself and my friends would rather see people fail a fitness test and leave the service that way, bitter but alive then see someone get assaulted by a prisoner and then die of a heart attack which happens in the american prisons allot. this is the thing you have to consider if you can't do this test for whatever reason then are you going to be able to do your job in certain situations? should they kick you out? no certainly not if your 60+ but you shouldn't be a prisoner facing role anymore, for your own health. having unfit/over weight people on wings with youngsters getting fitter and stronger is asking for trouble.

http://www.topendsports.com/testing/beep-norms.htm according to this the average 56-65 should be able to reach between level 5-6. i dont think it is unreasonable to ask us to reach average. like i said raiseing the pension age to 67/68 changes things and i think they should do non-prisoner facing jobs but below that i really dont see the issue. anyone who has joined in the years since they introduced the fitness test can't complain.

D`GEEZER
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by D`GEEZER » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:43 pm

If I remember rightly,

If you fail your fitness test you will be given another chance to complete it, should you fail that one then you may be referred to occy health and be given another chance to complete the test, I think it all depends on your line manager and their support, I am not aware of how many is the limit unless someone knows better, unless of course they have moved the goalposts......

tiredout
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by tiredout » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:22 pm

I am aware of three staff at my place that after being given three chances at passing the test and assistance from PEI's have still failed and eventually been dismissed.
However i do agree that it is a very basic fitness level and you should be able to pass it without to much trouble for the sake of your collegues. :slbx:

wizzywaz
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by wizzywaz » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:40 pm

For those Members of staff who have to do the fitness test it is part of their terms and conditions and as such it is your responsibilty to pass it end of

Where I feel sorry for is those who have a injury which stops them passing it and as such lose their jobs....

Also when someone who as signed a contract to pass a fitness test until say 65 years old why have they got another 3 years from 65/68 to get their pension have to pass that test...If they fail in those 3 years the test then no job or pension that cannot be right or have I read this wrong

old sweat
Elite Member
Elite Member
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by old sweat » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:35 pm

The test needs to include shuffling along a course with a zimmer frame, holding a shield whilst supporting a zimmer frame, climbing stairs with a zimmer frame.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic