high profile stories and issues for Prison Officers

Moderator: Chryo

purplepig20
Counsellor
Counsellor

Prisoners 'must work harder' for privileges

Post by purplepig20 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:28 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22341867
Male prisoners in England and Wales must work harder for privileges such as TVs in cells, the government has said.

Inmates will be made to wear a uniform during their first two weeks in jail and their access to private cash to call home will be restricted.

Satellite and cable TV channels, currently available in some private prisons, will be banned altogether.

The Prison Reform Trust said "getting rid of tellies" was not going to cut reconviction rates.

Justice Secretary Chris Grayling said: "I want the arrival in prison for the first time to be an experience that is not one they'd want to repeat.

"That means an environment where they arrive [where] standards are pretty basic and then they start to gain extras by contributing... and if they won't do it, then they can't expect to start gaining those privileges."

Other changes to the Incentives and Earned Privileges (IEP) schemes from November will include:

A longer working day for prisoners
A ban on films with an 18 certificate
Extra gym time being dependent "on active engagement with rehabilitation"
Restricted privileges, including access to private cash, for prisoners in the first two weeks of their sentence. They must also wear uniform at entry level
Prisoners then put on either basic or standard "IEP level" depending on how they "co-operate with the regime or engage in rehabilitation"
Those on basic level no longer allowed TVs in cells
The Ministry of Justice said it would also strengthen prisons' powers to recover money from inmates who damage their property.

When the new system is introduced, existing prisoners will not lose the privileges they already have unless their status is reviewed.

But they will lose any cable or satellite TV in private prisons.

Officials are still working on possible changes to the privilege scheme for female prisoners.
Oooooh! It will be interesting to see how this will pan out in the future. :slnuts:

Why this is only for men and not women, I'm not sure. :slno:

So, they (the government) want to give us less staff, but, expect us to be able to cope with all the extra problems this will create?! Something's gotta give...... :slwh: :slwh: :slwh:
If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur!

kristorf
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: Prisoners 'must work harder' for privileges

Post by kristorf » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:46 am

Sound bite and headline grabber, I doubt it will ever happen

Ethnic
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Ethnic » Wed May 01, 2013 11:32 am

And.....not a lot different to how it is now, but sounds good for those that don't know what REALLY goes on inside

The Reaper
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by The Reaper » Sat May 04, 2013 4:15 pm

You have to smile , The ministers are going to extend the cherubs working day, reduce core day Staffing , take the S/Os off the Wings , let Custodial Managers run the wings ( when they are there ) and then reduce priveledges like TV and Gym ?? I have wondered if I`ve done the right thing taking VEDS , but I`m starting to feel much better . 90 % of Prisoners may well respond to these initiatives and gain some degree of rehabilitation .......... But we all know of the 10 % who dont / cant think when confronnted by the word " no " , who assault Staff without thought of consequence and know that the best way to get attention is to smash the fixtures and fittings . I wonder if our wonderful Governor will allow me to return and do the odd shift ( new terms and conditions obviously ) in a year or twos time . I`d even consider the odd main shift just for the giggle.

homer059
Rookie Member

Post by homer059 » Sun May 05, 2013 6:49 pm

this is just a headline grabber for the goverment,most prisons run like this anyway,we know there will be more officers getting hurt,and with the new officers they are bringing in god help us,pay peanuts you get monkeys(not all but with the ones i have seen god help us).
Stop spending money on stupid computer softwear that we dont need,stop the back handers that someone must be getting for the services we are having and what the service buys.
We need officers on the floor,the CMs if not trying to offload there work on the SOs because they now know that with higher rank comes more work,most off them couldnt do there SOs job(but if you kiss ass you get what you want).as normal to many chiefs and not enough indians.
WE NEED LANDING RATS TO STOP WHAT IS COMING,AS THE FORGOTTEN SERVICE WE NEED TO BE HEARD.HELP US DONT HINDER US :slst:

old sweat
Elite Member
Elite Member
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by old sweat » Mon May 06, 2013 10:26 am

Are the private sector included in this ?

Will left wing 'hug a con' senior managers just ignore this ruling?

Will there be enough staff in post to robustly manage these new changes?

Where can I by a suit of armour to wear for work from ?

In my view these changes should happen next month not in November.

These changes are not enough, they should be harsher

ie entry level should last for the first 6 weeks, even for cons on enhanced when on remand.

standard level, should not include the wearing of own clothes or having huge ghetto blasters.

enhanced should only be for the best of the best and they should all be on a separate enhanced wing.

Basic cons should have nothing and be kept separate from all other cons say on their own wing. What about giving them suits with arrows on to wear?

Belfast 87
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Belfast 87 » Mon May 06, 2013 7:27 pm

old sweat wrote:Are the private sector included in this ?
from what I can make out yes, we are in the same boat, we had plans to take sky away, next year to help pay off some games :slbg:

old sweat
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by old sweat » Mon May 06, 2013 8:12 pm

Belfast 87 wrote:
old sweat wrote:Are the private sector included in this ?
from what I can make out yes, we are in the same boat, we had plans to take sky away, next year to help pay off some games :slbg:
That is good to hear we must all be in the same sinking boat private or public, except for the managers they are in the life boat looking after themselves!

MCMLXXI
Official Member
Official Member

Post by MCMLXXI » Sat May 11, 2013 9:54 am

Reading post like these makes me realise that some officers are literally living in cloud cuckoo land.

Basic wings, no ghetto blasters, starting now and not waiting till November!!!

When are they going to realise that Graylings statements are just political posturing, keeping the backbenchers happy.

The last time I was at work we were waiting for the benchmarking team to come in and tell us how many staff we didn't need.

Moreover we all know the current IEP scheme is flawed, when was the last time a basic prisoner received a 30 minute visit? Or when downgraded only had the items allowed in possession as per the facilities list?

Whilst I appreciate staff have their hands well and truly tied by some of the SMT we all know there have been occasions when we have implemented the rules and allowed prisoners to have items we know they are not allowed.

It infuriates me when I hear Grayling spouting off about getting tough on prisoners to the public when the reality is there won't be any staff to implement his so called rehabilitation revolution.

See what happens when you do try implement the new tough approach and you get assaulted, the CPS won't prosecute as it's not in the public interest, you'll probably be suspended pending an inquiry. The prisoner will claim they felt intimidated by staff and be let off or moved to another establishment for their own safety.

Reduce staffing levels, talk tough, pay less will only make appeasement the the only way of maintaining a safe and secure environment for staff.

There I said it.

Belfast 87
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Belfast 87 » Sat May 11, 2013 6:39 pm

MCMLXXI wrote: when was the last time a basic prisoner received a 30 minute visit?

we do that, but it still doesn't stop them going on basic.

old sweat
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by old sweat » Sun May 12, 2013 6:21 pm

Belfast 87 wrote:
MCMLXXI wrote: when was the last time a basic prisoner received a 30 minute visit?

we do that, but it still doesn't stop them going on basic.
We do the same Belfast and they to still go back onto basic. For the record I'm not living in cloud cuckoo land I've just been in the job for a hell of a long time, in fact I make the T shirts!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes i know that Grayling is just saying things to keep the voters happy but so what ! nothing wrong with me saying what should be done !

Belfast 87
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Belfast 87 » Sun May 12, 2013 8:13 pm

think Grayling will go after the gym times next

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic