• Active Topics  Back Forward Stop Play

Couple of questions...

Ask any question you like, prison officers are here to answer you!

Moderator: Chryo

Mowkey007
Registered Member
Registered Member

Couple of questions...

Post by Mowkey007 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:56 am

Hi folks,

I have my RAD very soon and it has finally dawned on me the thought of working in the prison environment. Having worked in an office for most of my life sat at a desk for 8+ hours a day, it does seem a massive shock to the system but I am up for it and after weighing the pros and cons (pun intended) of working as a prison officer I have decided this is the right career to go into.

1st question, this has probably been answered a million times so I do apologise in advance - what to wear for RAD, casual, smart - apart from my gym gear do I really need anything else?

2nd question, the prison I have applied for is in my hometown, would this be an issue with the possibility of local inmates recognising me or finding info on me?

3rd question, I have applied for a cat c prison, can anyone enlighten me as to what I could expect - I have heard there are more violent and serious attacks in cat a/b prison.

Last question, what other honest advice can you give?

It seems from discussions with friends and family the opinion is kind of divided on the prison service as a career. I have decided to join to make a difference, to help rehabilitate others and to bring positive change, rather than being in a job staring at the PC killing brain cells. Now, is it (the service) as bad as they say in the media, with the reports of overcrowding, increase in violence, especially attacks on Prison Officer's. There is a major push on recruitment so let's see how that pans out.

I know I have rambled on a little, sorry.

:slyay:
When you see a person who has been given more than you in money & beauty, then look at those who have been given less.
:slzz: :slin:

Rine90
Registered Member
Registered Member

Re: Couple of questions...

Post by Rine90 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:43 pm

Heya! :)
I don't have all the answers just what I know from my experience so far... but, first of all...
Well done for getting this far!
I dressed smart and took my gym gear with me. Had to make sure I had the medical questionnaire that they sent through via email and the 2 signed photos (even though they didn't use them) with your 2 proofs of I'd and address.
Having done the same as you i.e. 12 hours a day staring at a computer to joining up I know what you mean about a shock to the system! From what I know every day is different and it'll depend on where you are assigned so just take each day as it comes! :)
Where are you applying for :)
Best of luck x
Applied - 30/03/17
RAD - 12/04/17
Results - 18/04/17
Offer - 12/05/17
Vetting started - 20/05/17
Vetting passed - 26/07/2017
'The Call' - 04/08/2017 :slyay: :slyay:
Start Date - 02/10/2017 :slcup:
POELT - 09/10/2017 :slin: :sloo:

Lancs
Executive Member
Executive Member
Sacred: 'Onyx'

Post by Lancs » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:11 pm

1. Smart Casual (with gym gear separate)

2. Yes this happens. Can't really be avoided, lock down social media, don't have uniform on show in the public, be sensible.

3. Catergorisation is mostly to do with the chance or means to escape (in a nutshell). Don't be to hung up on Cat A, B or C. Violence and drugs are accross the board.

Prisons aren't as bad as the media suggests... there worse. 🙂

Mowkey007
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Mowkey007 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:06 pm

Thanks guys for the heads up! :)

I've applied at HMP Buckley Hall.

Is it commonplace for you to be abused or assaulted, I've been told to keep my head down and stand my ground. I'm a down to earth chap, enjoy a bit of banter, treat others how I expect to be treated, I'm hoping to carry these values into my new career. The way I see it, the prisoners are already being punished for their crimes and we as Prison Officer's play a key part in their rehabilitation.

Are there any other pointers or tips on what I am letting myself into? :slwoot:
When you see a person who has been given more than you in money & beauty, then look at those who have been given less.

FlamingYeti
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by FlamingYeti » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:56 pm

There are many documentaries out there that give some insights into the job, just keep in mind that not all perspectives shown, some documentaries are sensationalised and others you only see what they want you to see.
The Internet never forgets. :slda:

Mowkey007
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Mowkey007 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:38 am

Rine90 wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:43 pm
Heya! :)
I don't have all the answers just what I know from my experience so far... but, first of all...
Well done for getting this far!
I dressed smart and took my gym gear with me. Had to make sure I had the medical questionnaire that they sent through via email and the 2 signed photos (even though they didn't use them) with your 2 proofs of I'd and address.
Having done the same as you i.e. 12 hours a day staring at a computer to joining up I know what you mean about a shock to the system! From what I know every day is different and it'll depend on where you are assigned so just take each day as it comes! :)
Where are you applying for :)
Best of luck x
Hiya

From what I gather i take it you are yet to start, have you done your POELT?

Rine90
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Rine90 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:23 pm

Mowkey007 wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:38 am

Hiya

Heyyy!

No not done POELT yet, I had the email on tues saying I'd passed my RAD so I'm currently awaiting the next step which I believe is a phone call so I'm just a couple of steps ahead of you at this point nothing major :)
Applied - 30/03/17
RAD - 12/04/17
Results - 18/04/17
Offer - 12/05/17

Mowkey007
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Mowkey007 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:07 am

Rine90 wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:23 pm
Mowkey007 wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:38 am

Hiya

Heyyy!

No not done POELT yet, I had the email on tues saying I'd passed my RAD so I'm currently awaiting the next step which I believe is a phone call so I'm just a couple of steps ahead of you at this point nothing major :)
Well done on passing the RAD :slbg: I have mine tomorrow and am bricking it lol but from what I've been reading and from the response I have had from folks on here it does seem pretty straightforward. I'm still hopeful that I have made the correct choice and this is the right career for me.

Just with all the horror stories I keep hearing and reading about can make it feel quite daunting! :slda:

laticsash92
Committee Member
Committee Member
Mood:

Post by laticsash92 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:28 am

Can get horror stories in any job.
Just things like the prison, police etc have higher concerns for it. But I wouldn't worry, just do the job and you'll be fine.

Unfortunately we had an offier at our local youth offenders in Mk just last month got assaulted on his first week in the job. Was only 20 odd and got put into a coma.
But them stories are very very very very far and between.
So never let it concern you. You have made the right career choice like all of us on here. Just remember why you want to do it. You'll be fine

Mowkey007
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Mowkey007 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:45 am

laticsash92 wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:28 am
Can get horror stories in any job.
Just things like the prison, police etc have higher concerns for it. But I wouldn't worry, just do the job and you'll be fine.

Unfortunately we had an offier at our local youth offenders in Mk just last month got assaulted on his first week in the job. Was only 20 odd and got put into a coma.
But them stories are very very very very far and between.
So never let it concern you. You have made the right career choice like all of us on here. Just remember why you want to do it. You'll be fine
:slsh2: :slsh2:
I have read that YOI are more lively and violent. My choice is a cat c so call it wishful thinking but I'm hoping that level of violence doesn't happen as much here. Mentally, I am prepared for anything so we shall see

Pip81
Banned Member

Post by Pip81 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:13 pm

From my understanding it doesn't matter what Category your establishment is. If it's going to kick off it will regardless.

As with any job keep your wits about you and treat people with decency and you won't get as much aggro as the one who thinks he's/she's got all the power.

AJ 2017
Committee Member
Committee Member
Class: 'Holy Avenger'
Alignment: 'Shadow'

Post by AJ 2017 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:13 pm

There is no doubt we will all i am sure be faced with violent and challenging situations at some point. But i am very confident the training we will receive will help massively and our colleagues , some of who will be long standing prison officers will provide us with solid back up plus it helps if you are confident in your own ability to cope with stressful and high pressure situations.

Rine90
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Rine90 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:24 pm

Trust your instincts and remember that you've got into the role because of the qualities you possess! You will be fine. There are obviously going to be some characters that dont want to behave and that's why they have got to where they are.
Training will prepare us :)
Applied - 30/03/17
RAD - 12/04/17
Results - 18/04/17
Offer - 12/05/17

Mowkey007
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Mowkey007 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:43 pm

:slyay: :slyay: :slyay:

Glad RAD is out of the way, I hope I did enough to pass although the roleplaying was a bit daunting, the actors are brilliant! :slcl:

K123
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by K123 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:53 pm

Did you notice the lady actor was from shameless? And that young guy used to be in emmerdale 😁
22nd April - RAD
28th April - RAD results passed/OH Assist Returned
12th May - Merit Listed
1st August - Conditional Offer/Submitted Vetting

On the vetting train :slyay:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic