• Active Topics  Back Forward Stop Play

Young prison officers.

Ask any question you like, prison officers are here to answer you!

Moderator: Chryo

worriedfather
Registered Member
Registered Member

Young prison officers.

Post by worriedfather » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:34 am

Hello everyone, first time poster but been looking for a while.

This one is aimed at current (or past I guess) serving officers, my 18yr old son (soon to be 19) is into week 9 of his vetting so with any luck will be starting his POELT within the near future if all go's well.

My question is how are younger officers looked upon by the more 'mature' staff?

Is it purely down to how the individual conducts himself or is there any preconceptions, he is a very mature 18 yr old and has been in work for the last 2 years which, in my opinion, has given him a small insight into the 'real world'.

He's a six footer who plays Rugby so the physical side of things I think he will be ok with it's just that he's never faced anything like the inside of a prison before and as a Dad you can't help worry.

Cheers in advance.

SassySez
Official Member
Official Member
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Re: Young prison officers.

Post by SassySez » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:33 pm

Hiya!

From my perspective it's all about how he conducts himself..

His age won't matter to anybody if he conducts himself in a professional manner.. That said there's nothing wrong with joining in on the banter he will inevitably encounter on POELT and on the wings.

People naturally have preconceptions of people anyway and is only human, but he will soon prove them wrong.

There's a young lad on my course who's around 18, but he's a lot more mature and grown up than people I know double his age so I wouldn't worry too much about it :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic