• Active Topics  Back Forward Stop Play

Young prison officers.

Ask any question you like, prison officers are here to answer you!

Moderator: Chryo

worriedfather
Registered Member
Registered Member

Young prison officers.

Post by worriedfather » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:27 am

Hello everyone, first time poster but been looking for a while.

This one is aimed at current (or past I guess) serving officers, my 18yr old son (soon to be 19) is into week 9 of his vetting so with any luck will be starting his POELT within the near future if all go's well.

My question is how are younger officers looked upon by the more 'mature' staff?

Is it purely down to how the individual conducts himself or is there any preconceptions, he is a very mature 18 yr old and has been in work for the last 2 years which, in my opinion, has given him a small insight into the 'real world'.

He's a six footer who plays Rugby so the physical side of things I think he will be ok with it's just that he's never faced anything like the inside of a prison before and as a Dad you can't help worry.

Cheers in advance.

Lthenewbie
Committee Member
Committee Member
Mood:

Re: Young prison officers.

Post by Lthenewbie » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:39 pm

I'm in my early 20s and now I haven't started yet but the service doesnt allow discrimination of any kind ... women, lgbt officers are all welcome ... it will be down to him as an individual ... that's what i gather from tslking to serving officers

Justsaying
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mood:

Post by Justsaying » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:17 pm

Personally from what I've witnessed we're a pretty friendly group who usually see getting more staff as bumping up our poor staffing levels and that can only be a good thing. He'll be supported but he'll have to find his feet pretty quickly as it's a full on environment. He might find he gets tested more by the prisoners than anything and some won't like being told no by someone 10 years younger than them. I've worked with people around that age, some have quit, some of stayed n been reasonable, and some developed into excellent officers

Pebble
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Pebble » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:15 pm

I joined when I was 18 nearly 19 from my experience offenders test you alot more at the start but as long as you conduct yourself correctly it soon dies down. Staff wise they was all helpful and friendly. Doesn't matter your age I was there 5 years quit due to personal reasons and now going back. I saw many people join and quit some the same age some older.
Applied: 28/05/17
Familiarisation: 29/06/17
Rad: 18/07/17
Oh: 19/07/17
Offer/vetting: 08/08/17
Reference documents: 05/09/17
Countersignature returned: 07/09/17
Dbs completed and returned: 24/10/17
The call 28/11/17
Standford hill 05/02/17

worriedfather
Registered Member