• Active Topics  Back Forward Stop Play

Heard the negatives..positives?

Ask any question you like, prison officers are here to answer you!

Moderator: Chryo

Lsteeps
Executive Member
Executive Member
Sacred: 'Yeti Master'

Re: Heard the negatives..positives?

Post by Lsteeps » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:13 pm

I thought this was a really good thread. But not everyone seems to have embraced it. :slsad:

Xombi
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Xombi » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:31 pm

Lsteeps wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:13 pm
I thought this was a really good thread. But not everyone seems to have embraced it. :slsad:
Anecdotal positives shouldn't 'convince people on the fence to join' , they're not a consistent fact that everyone will experience. I can appreciate the idea and intention behind the thread, but people should want to join for their own reasons regardless of positive or negative input from others. It is obviously not a job for everyone and people on the fence are in the right place until they make their own mind up.

Not everyone who really had the intention of making a career out of it stick with it, so anyone who is undecided shouldn't be convinced.

Maybe a thread for officers to relay their funny or good stories would be better. Nothing to do with employment, just a space for serving officers to jabber about something amusing or good that happened..?

SWM5436
Committee Member
Committee Member
Mood:

Post by SWM5436 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:45 pm

Someone's positives will be other people negatives and vice a versa, same with any job, it's what you make of it and no two establishments will be the same, Christ even the pay for doing the same job differs across the establishments.

It's either something you try and give up because it's not for you or it's a job you wake up every morning happy to be doing.
Fam visit then POST - 21 June
RAD - 12 July
RAD result - 14 July
Conditional offer - 17 July
Vetting - 18 July
OH Assist - 28 Sept/9 Nov
Waiting the call - 11 Nov :slyay:
The Call 15 Nov - Start date TBC

rmurzz
Official Member
Official Member

Post by rmurzz » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:11 pm

I appreciate that unless you've tried the job yourself you can't make a decision wether it's for the best and the right choice. I also appreciate the experienced views on the job. The main focus was to hear some positives, no matter if the negatives out weight the positives.

I have seen negatives on the job since joining this forum.

I'm not asking for positives to make judgement on joining.

Thanks to everyone that's commented. All comments are read and appreciated.

rmurzz
Official Member
Official Member

Post by rmurzz » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:17 pm

Xombi wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:13 pm
My point is what people consider a positive or negative is relative. Asking for them from others is not applicable to anyone else unless you're talking about something that is a fact for everyone like pay, holidays, pension etc...

Somebody could tell you all the positives in the world, then you go to an establishment and it be horrendous, or they tell you it is horrendous and you think from where you came from it is great.

So I did read your post and gave a view on why people are probably giving negative responses, and that if people want to join then go for it regardless of other people's opinions, but if the thread is to just gather a bunch incentives to join that could not be the case then crack on...
I apologise for my comment,

I didn't read your post properly! You was not reall giving negatives.

Thanks

Lsteeps
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Lsteeps » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:39 pm

I think people have missed the point, no one is using other people's positives as a reason to join. I also think the post is directed at serving officer's. So please help me out guy's, serving officer's please if you could give one positive what would it be?

Sorry rmurzz I've just hijacked your post.

rmurzz
Official Member
Official Member

Post by rmurzz » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:43 pm

No worries mate.

Like said, not looking for positives to influence our choice.

Lsteeps
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Lsteeps » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:02 pm

My mum was a prison officer for 12 years, she said despite the sh*t she had to encounter on a daily basis (sometimes literally) her fellow colleagues made it worth while. She said she was part of another family, her work family. She laughed every day and regardless of how bad it got there was always someone there with her.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic