• Active Topics  Back Forward Stop Play

Second thoughts about joining?

Ask any question you like, prison officers are here to answer you!

Moderator: Chryo

purplepig20
Counsellor
Counsellor

Re: Second thoughts about joining?

Post by purplepig20 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:16 pm

SWM5436 wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:39 pm
Most of the serving officers probably of the officers probably don’t read about 90% of what’s posted on here as it tends to be the same questions that have been answered time and time again because people are too lazy to use the search...
Nail. Head.

You have no idea how tedious it is seeing the same thing over and over again. Especially when people hijack threads.
I tend to completely ignore vetting/RAD threads now, for two main reasons:
1: usually we can’t give an answer, as this is nothing to do with what we as officers do. We don’t work in that area, so will/can not give you information on things we have absolutely no idea about.
2: the RADS and vetting seems to have changed a lot over the years, so what we experienced may not be what you’re experiencing right now.

As for negative posts, well, you may see it as that, but we see it as being honest. It’s not a job for the faint hearted. We desperately need more staff, but the right kind of staff. This job is not for everyone and that’s nothing to be ashamed of. At least you have more of an idea of what you’re letting yourselves in for, rather than coming in with your eyes completely shut!

And yes, I too (many years ago) worried about “what if I hate the job?”, “What if I’m rubbish at it and it’s not for me?”. I’d say that’s normal for the majority of us.
In fact, I’d think you’d be a bit off key to never ask yourself those questions... :slwh: :slnuts:
If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur!

SWM5436
Committee Member
Committee Member
Mood:

Post by SWM5436 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:09 am

That reads bad, have edited it :slred:

I appreciate the honesty, we were told of all the things to expect when we join and how bad things could be but the majority of the officers i spoke too when asked wouldn't do any other job, it was rewarding for them and they still enjoyed getting up everyday to come to the job.

I don't know, maybe it was because they were all ex military and the comraderir they have in the establishment is similar to that they had in the forces and let's face it some.of those guys would have been through the mill in both gulf wars, Afghanistan, Bosnia, Kosovo and other atrocities during their time so although a different kind of danger this is the shit they live for.

The job isn't for everyone and unfortunately there does seem to be a lot of wastage in then first 12 months following deployment to the landings, this I feel will always be the case due to the recruitment process and how they are diluting it to get numbers in.

We were told a story that students were using poelt as something to earn money doing whilst off during the summer months and then goinf back to studying when term started again, if this new vetting process gets people through in 4 weeks, I can see a return to this sort of thing happening. Easy money with no return of service at the end of training :slst:
Fam visit then POST - 21 June
RAD - 12 July
RAD result - 14 July
Conditional offer - 17 July
Vetting - 18 July
OH Assist - 28 Sept/9 Nov
Waiting the call - 11 Nov :slyay:
The Call 15 Nov - Start date TBC

Moredread
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Moredread » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:14 pm

purplepig20 wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:16 pm
In fact, I’d think you’d be a bit off key to never ask yourself those questions... :slwh: :slnuts:
Never asked myself the question yet so guess that makes me off key lol

My partner on the other hand has asked me how I'll cope, will I enjoy it, how will I react if 'X' happens and so on.
I'm not ex services but I've seen and dealt with a fair bit over my career and although it will be nothing in comparison to life on the landings I know in myself I have the strength and will to do well.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic