• Active Topics  Back Forward Stop Play

Risk of the job

Ask any question you like, prison officers are here to answer you!

Moderator: Chryo

purplepig20
Counsellor
Counsellor

Re: Risk of the job

Post by purplepig20 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:42 pm

And I haven’t even opened my mouth... yet! :slwh: :slwoot:
If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur!

purplepig20
Counsellor
Counsellor

Post by purplepig20 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:01 pm

Kenzo1 wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:19 pm
So I'm wanting to join the prison service but I've been told by current prisoners and past prisoners that it's bad for new officers and they get completely targetted. I've been told in the first week they've seen new officers get scolded and bucket of facies thrown over them. Now obviously this happens but does it happen as often as everyone makes out? And I'm also told that officers claim for it, if they do claim does management treat you differently for it?
Ok, how did no one actually notice this part?? This is crucial. They’re getting their information from prisoners, not staff!!! Not just ex-prisoners, but SERVING PRISONERS.
I don’t think I even want to know the details... :slsh2: :slsh2:
If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur!

worriedfather
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by worriedfather » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:34 pm

For what it's worth,

I hope my lad has the likes of Baldybloke/SMW and his ilk watching his back rather than some limp wristed, PC do-gooder more worried about being called a 'naughty' name than looking out for his/her colleagues.

Cheers all for your input/advice.

And yes, the thought of a potential officer who gets info from current prisoners has to be a worry!

SWM5436
Committee Member
Committee Member
Mood:

Post by SWM5436 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:40 pm

purplepig20 wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:01 pm
Ok, how did no one actually notice this part?? This is crucial. They’re getting their information from prisoners, not staff!!! Not just ex-prisoners, but SERVING PRISONERS.
I believe he meant Officers or at least I hope he did
Fam visit then POST - 21 June
RAD - 12 July
RAD result - 14 July
Conditional offer - 17 July
Vetting - 18 July
OH Assist - 28 Sept/9 Nov
Waiting the call - 11 Nov :slyay:
The Call 15 Nov - Start date TBC

worriedfather
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by worriedfather » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:48 pm

Apologies, that should read SWM.

SWM5436
Committee Member
Committee Member
Mood:

Post by SWM5436 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:02 pm

I wish your son all the best in his chosen establishment and I am sure he will have some top lads working with and looking after him.
RAD - 12 July
RAD result - 14 July
Vetting - 18 July

Moredread
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Moredread » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:46 am

purplepig20 wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:01 pm
Kenzo1 wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:19 pm
So I'm wanting to join the prison service but I've been told by current prisoners and past prisoners that it's bad for new officers and they get completely targetted. I've been told in the first week they've seen new officers get scolded and bucket of facies thrown over them. Now obviously this happens but does it happen as often as everyone makes out? And I'm also told that officers claim for it, if they do claim does management treat you differently for it?
You're not the only one to notice this, which I find rather scary.
The other thing I noticed about the OP is the question regarding 'officers claiming for it' which I'm guessing is claiming compensation and 'if management treat you different for claiming'

While I can't answer about claims or treatment and if I'm honest I can't give an honest answer to the main question about if prisoners target new officers I have read the replies and found most informative.

As for the replies being patronising? Erm no, they've given an answer to a question which has been factual.
The problem isn't the reply but how it is read.
You can give an answer to a question and have 100 people read the reply and they will all read it slightly different depending on the type of person they are.

It does beg the question though. If in the event that you're needed to do something urgent and someone you've never met before barks an order at you to help with no pleasantries are you going to just crack on and do it or are you going to argue the toss that they didn't ask nicely before you do what's being asked?

As already said, this job isn't for everyone. There are aspects of the job that will be harder to deal with than others and we all have our strengths and weaknesses but if you're offended but a written reply that was ment to be helpful then I agree that you really should think hard about the role of a prison officer and if you will cope with that role.

deepheat
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by deepheat » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:56 am

I would just like to add a little something to this post i have been live now for a month and as a newbie would like to add abit of an incite into my first month on the landings. First off all I've loved every minute of it the prisoners will take the piss but but you must not take this to heart you are a professional prison officer and you take it with a pinch of salt and the best way I have found to get round this is have abit of banter with them but more importantly say the magic word "NO". you will find that because your new they will ask you to do things like 'Guv let us off for gym' knowing perfectly well that movement has not been called just to see if they can get away with it. As soon as you say 'NO' 3 or 4 times they will begin to grin and they know your not a soft touch shall we say. My advice be confident they will soon know they can't take the piss and they will start to respect you as an officer well some of them anyway :slnuts: . I've been called this that the other do I give a shit NO challenge them and get bloody well on with the job all the very best to everyone :slbx:

SWM5436
Committee Member
Committee Member
Mood:

Post by SWM5436 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:14 am

Thanks for your input, good to hear from someone who has recently started and get their experiences on it. Looking forward to next year when I finally start.
RAD - 12 July
RAD result - 14 July
Vetting - 18 July

Gravey957
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by Gravey957 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:09 am

Thank you for this excellent post it makes a change to reading posts on vetting :slhehe:
Nemo Me Impune Lacassit

deepheat
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by deepheat » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:54 am

I'm on a late today and had all morning to myself no kids to run round after so thought I'd write a cheeky post :slnuts:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic