• Active Topics  Back Forward Stop Play
five years ago Benchmarking came in which said prisons could run with a lot less staff, VEDS was born and thousands of highly experienced prison officers were paid off handsomely to leave early.
This gave HMP the prisons with a lot less staff that they wanted and since then? Well since then we have RECORD NUMBERS of brand new prison officers with 0 experience whatever. Far better than the hugely experienced prison officers who were paid handsomely to leave.
Join falkor, manc-apollo and npatchet2000, Twisties and Moredread for the BIG DISCUSSION on all this and more, 2000hrs Wednesday night

mChat Wednesday night 2000 :slhehe:

Black coffee :mug: provided free

Failed vetting process

Ask any question you like, prison officers are here to answer you!

Moderator: Chryo

Failed vetting process

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:26 am

So, I've failed the vetting process because SSCL couldn't get in touch with two of my referees. They told me that factual references would be ok but clearly the HR departments of the two companies I worked for didn't get back to them and now I assume my application has been timed out as it has been over three months. I've invested so much on this job over the last six months that I find it really hard to accept I've failed for such a silly reason. What can I do to appeal? Is there some sort of body that will help me e.g. Citizens Advice or trade union?

Andy888
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: Failed vetting process

Post by Andy888 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:38 am

Citizens Advice or a union wouldn't be able to do anything I'd have thought, certainly a union for sure!. The first thing you could and should do is to contact each of the 2 companies HR departments to find out if a reference request was received and sent. As seems very unusual and odd how both would have failed to respond at all in what 3 months?. Once you've done that you will likely be in a far better position to move forwards.

Rocky1967
Gold Committee Member
Gold Committee Member

Post by Rocky1967 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:05 am

You will receive a letter from SS or the vetting team so it should give you all the details of how and where to appeal.
Like Andy said, get the references and then send them with the appeal.
If this is only thing you will be fine . There are some treats on the forum regarding this already , if you search you will find all information
you need. Thank God I got mine last minute after the request was send 5 times . Ufffff

Good luck mate

Aplant
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Aplant » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:05 pm

This is what I'm worried about....i listed all jobs I've had in the last 5 years.. .one of the companies has now been sold and there is no one to contact.. ..6 weeks ago ss said they were just waiting on that reference...i explained that they wouldn't get one back due to the company not existing anymore but 12 weeks after conditional offer I'm still in vetting...i presume they are still waiting on this reference....all other references and countersignatory has been returned so I'm hoping that will be acceptable.

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:56 am

Just as an update, I was able to contact both of the missing referees the day after I was informed I had failed. I have it in writing from both saying that they hadn't been contacted. It's infuriating!

Andy888
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Andy888 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:20 pm

So sorry to hear this, I can only suggest calling shared services with this information and asking them to verify over the phone the contact details for the 2 references they have with what you know them to be and to ask how they contacted each!. It's normally email being the preferred choice to contact a reference from what I could tell in my case.

You should be able to appeal based on miss-information for the reference contact details if an error on either side comes to light!. I'd also be surprised if shared services or vetting don't use the provided phone numbers for the reference contact details to chase up a non returned reference request?. Maybe that's worth mentioning seeing as they ask for phone contact detail for them to?.

PWR2018
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by PWR2018 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:11 pm

Just received my "unsatisfactory pre-employment checks" message on Steria....contacted previous employers and they have not heard a peep....

My RAD scores were all A's with 1 x A+

OH reported "Fit for Duties" so no problem there.

Please can anyone provide a contact number for "Shared Services" as not letting this drop after waiting 6 months for this.....

Really really frustrated. :slst:

SWM5436
Elite Member
Elite Member
Mood:

Post by SWM5436 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:28 pm

They will tell you to email them as they will not give you any info over the phone.
It’s too bad that stupidity isn’t painful. Ignorance is one thing, but our society thrives increasingly on stupidity

Start of vetting to the call 17 weeks 2 days.

Huntsman22
Committee Member
Committee Member
Mood:

Post by Huntsman22 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:32 pm

:slag: I think you’d be better emailing and an appeal has to be put in writing
‘But if you never try, you’ll never know’

mpeng82
Official Member
Official Member

Post by mpeng82 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:33 pm

this thread is really annoying and this is not finger pointing at users but the vetting proceedure.

Both SS and steria state that if further information is required you will be contacted.

Therefore if references have not been returned why could vetting simply send you, as the applicant an email stating the lack of information returned.

This would then give you the opportunity to obtain and possiblt not fail

PWR2018
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by PWR2018 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:36 pm

Rang and as advised by the senior members on here, need to write to ask for the reasons that they were unsatisfactory. Here is the address for those of us who are in the same boat and need to know what went wrong. Couldn't advise on time of response due to Xmas. Hope this helps.

Vetting Team
Prison Officer BOX 3037
Shared Services
Phoenix House
Celtic Springs Business Park
Newport
NP20 9BB

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic