• Active Topics  Back Forward Stop Play

Preperation tips

Ask any question you like, prison officers are here to answer you!

Moderator: Chryo

scamsr
Registered Member
Registered Member

Preperation tips

Post by scamsr » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:24 pm

First of all, this is is my first post so sorry if it's in the wrong section :sloo:

I've accepted a conditional offer, pending the outcome of vetting etc. I understand that the length of vetting can vary from person to person (weeks to months) so in the meantime is there anything I can do to prepare for life as a prison officer?

Any key texts, documentaries etc to be looking at?

My fitness is at a good standard but is it worth concentrating on strength training for example?

I'm so eager to start but not knowing how long I will be waiting is awful, just want to keep my mind busy.

Any tips would be apreciated, I've looked on this site and others and can't seem find too much, at least not in one place. :slbg:

Lancs
Executive Member
Executive Member
Sacred: 'Onyx'

Re: Preperation tips

Post by Lancs » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:47 pm

Welcome scamsr, key thing at the moment is patience. Stay in good shape and there's a ton of information on here regarding vetting and poelt course. Good luck

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Shade'

Post by falkor » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:53 pm

hi ScamSR, yes welcome to the site as Lancs says and good luck for your vetting :slby:

I would brush up on the Bleep Test if I was you, this can easily be undersetimated
- have you done any practice bleep tests? ah well if you accepted a conditional offer, then that must mean you passed everything including fitness

so, you looked on this site and others. can I be a bit nosey and ask what others? would love to know!!
UK planning forums got a planning application in the UK?

Rocky1967
Gold Committee Member
Gold Committee Member

Post by Rocky1967 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:12 pm

Hi scams , welcome to the site . I can speak for myself . To get me through my vetting I kept busy working as much as I can . But 4 to 5 times a week training , running , weights , swimming , try to stick to good diet . Keep in mind that in this job you need to stay in good shape .

Lagertha
Gold Committee Member
Gold Committee Member
Mood:

Post by Lagertha » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:16 pm

Welcome scamsr! Your questions seem to have been covered so I'll add - if you look to the top right of your screen you'll see a little search icon (magnifying glass). Hit that and type in a key word or phrase and you'll find an abundance of info on whatever it is 😊 if you can't find what you're looking for this site is made up of a really helpful bunch at all different stages of the application process, training and in role!

Well done getting to the vetting stage and good luck with it too!! 😉
Applied 16/04/2017, passed RAD 16/05, submitted vetting 18/05, got the call 07/07, Contract received and role accepted 18/07, familiarisation visit 19/07, induction week 24/07, POELT Sunningdale 31/07, Newbold 31/07 night, thanks 'ss' :slcoo:

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Shade'

Post by falkor » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:38 pm

here's the (15m track) MP3s

01BleepTestIntro.mp3 General Instructions and Briefing

02BleeTestGetReady.mp3 Specific Instructions and Count Down

03BleepTest.mp3 ACTUAL BLEEP TEST

purplepig20
Counsellor
Counsellor

Post by purplepig20 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:29 pm

If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur!

Rufudge

Post by Rufudge » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:17 pm

falkor wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:38 pm
here's the (15m track) MP3s

01BleepTestIntro.mp3 General Instructions and Briefing

02BleeTestGetReady.mp3 Specific Instructions and Count Down

03BleepTest.mp3 ACTUAL BLEEP TEST
Thanks for posting that, I've been practising the wrong one!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic