• Active Topics  Back Forward Stop Play
five years ago Benchmarking came in which said prisons could run with a lot less staff, VEDS was born and thousands of highly experienced prison officers were paid off handsomely to leave early.
This gave HMP the prisons with a lot less staff that they wanted and since then? Well since then we have RECORD NUMBERS of brand new prison officers with 0 experience whatever. Far better than the hugely experienced prison officers who were paid handsomely to leave.
Join falkor, manc-apollo and npatchet2000, Twisties and Moredread for the BIG DISCUSSION on all this and more, 2000hrs Wednesday night

mChat Wednesday night 2000 :slhehe:

Black coffee :mug: provided free

For those with vetting concerns

Ask any question you like, prison officers are here to answer you!

Moderator: Chryo

Anon123

For those with vetting concerns

Post by Anon123 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:00 pm

Ok so I'm writing this aimed at all those individuals going through vetting or waiting for the vetting process to start and you may have your own concerns over if you will pass or not for what ever reasons you may have.
So about me, I am an active member on this forum, however I have chosen to stay anonymous due to the content of this article (for want of a better word) which some of you may or may not agree with. So rather than been able to vent towards someone about your feelings about me as an officer I thought it would be better this way.
So, there has not been a day since I was 12 years old that I have no been employed. Weather that has been a paper round, glass collecting, bar work and so on and so on. So I know how to work my way through life put it that way. Always have and always will.
Did I make mistakes as a youngster...of course I did. And who didn't eh? When I say make mistakes, I mean have I been in trouble with the police. I have been. Nothing too serious that would be detrimental to me doing a job like this. But yes I have been arrested on more than one occasion. I have never been charged and 9/10 been released with nothing more than a don't do it again. So those of you going through vetting that feel like this will have an impact, although every case is different, take a positive from my case where I declared it. Gave a little background behind the story and was completely honest and open.
Moving on, I don't know exactly what the statistics are. But I'm sure 90% of you know someone who is incarcerated or has been at some point in your lives. In my case this was a close family member. Who not only is behind bars, he has been in the establishment I'm working at. Now again, I was completely honest about this, told them exactly what contact, if any I had been having with this individual over the course of my life. So again if you are concerned over this. Just be honest.
Finances- Now this is probably the main one for most people living on planet earth. Chances are most people will be in debt in their life, a lot of people have manageable/affordable debt. But there are also a lot of people who's finances spiral out of control, some people it takes longer to get on their feet than others. Some people may never recover. At the time of me applying and going through vetting I would say I had a considerable amount of debt. Which it has taken me along time to recover from. As a result I have a less than perfect credit score and still to this day paying for my mistakes earlier in life. A lot of which I am responsible for, however some people have relationships that break down or a crisis which leaves you in financial difficulty.
I've had CCJ's and such. I passed vetting so take it from me, be honest. Tell them what you owe and how you intent to pay it back. And with your fingers crossed, you should be fine.
So all this probably tells you I am not fit to be in a position of a prison officer. I would strongly disagree. All this has made me the person I am today, my morals have never changed. I will look after those around me. I will look after my team no matter what. I feel these experiences have put me in a good position to relate to others who have maybe made mistakes in their lives And ended up on the other side of the door and Who have not got the best background story. Much like myself.
So what am I saying, a prime case of don't judge the book by its cover. Not really, but everyone has there own story. Everyone has reasons for things and us as a species like to jump on a wagon and concentrate on the negatives rather than the positives that come out of negative experiences.
Would I ever let myself get in a situation like I've had in the past. Certainly not, we learn from our mistakes and adapt to what's ahead.
So be honest on the vetting forms, if you feel like something is a negative, declare it. I'm sure they understand not everyone is this model perfect citizen society expects us to be. Having people from all walks of life and backgrounds will assist those who are locked up and need that advice, and it maybe even more valuable coming from someone who has had a less than perfect start,middle or even end to life.
If I can pass....maybe you can relax about your history and just maybe you will too.

Lagertha
Gold Committee Member
Gold Committee Member
Mood:

Re: For those with vetting concerns

Post by Lagertha » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:28 pm

That's a nice insight Anon. I think it will definitely be helpful too. Thank you for sharing 😊
Applied 16/04/2017, passed RAD 16/05, submitted vetting 18/05, got the call 07/07, Contract received and role accepted 18/07, familiarisation visit 19/07, induction week 24/07, POELT Sunningdale 31/07, Newbold 31/07 night, thanks 'ss' :slcoo:

Hilts
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Hilts » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:44 am

Well written and I agree life experience makes the person you are and as long as you learn then that can only help vulnerable inmates. Waiting for my vetting now :slyay:

Moredread
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Moredread » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:57 am

Not to dissimilar to my past and everything went in to the vetting disclosure. There are things in my past I'm not proud of but I learned a great deal from my mistakes, which like everyone has given me life experience.

Now I'm just waiting like so many others for vetting to finish and see where my future is heading 😊

Kryptonian
Committee Member
Committee Member
Sacred: 'Onyx'

Post by Kryptonian » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:35 am

I enjoyed reading the very honest and detailed post. Thank you for giving all, waiting and deliberating potentials, a bit of a push. I'd be surprised if there isn't someone who can't like their past/current life, to any of your said experiences. Honesty has to be the best policy, if you are serious about getting in!
Congratulations bud :slbg:

Lincolnimp
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Lincolnimp » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:42 am

After reading this im slightly concerned now. I filled my vetting form in a week ago today. I was charged with a couple of minor offences a very long time ago. Don't know the exact years but it was before I met my wife so it's 32+years ago. I was found guilty for one and not guilty for the other. I didn't declare this on the form because until I read this post I had completely forgot about them. Do you think I should get in contact and declare it now? I would hate to think something that happened a lifetime ago will stop me from getting this job. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Moredread
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Moredread » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:47 am

In short yes, get in touch and tell them.
I declared 2 offences from around 1990 but wasn't sure ifvthey dates so put 1995 and said these were rough dates as atvthe time that's the best guestimatiin I could give.

Samurai
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Samurai » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:16 am

Get in touch and let them know. You will be fine with an approximate month & year..they won't need precise dates. Not letting them know is more likely to go against you than the actual offence itself. Given the time that has passed you won't have anything to worry about.

Rossco
Official Member
Official Member
Sacred: 'Dragoon'

Post by Rossco » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:04 am

Great post Anon.
I too had a somewhat colourful upbringing which led to some stupidness in my younger years.

I have just passed vetting and am waiting for a start date which I am apparently getting tomorrow.

My advice to anyone would be to just declare and be honest. You only have to declare convictions and cautions. If you are not sure of dates then put a rough date. If possible give an explanation.

Good luck all

Saxon79
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Saxon79 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:30 pm

I do see a lot of people saying declare everything. Well you do only have to declare relevant information, which is, convictions, cautions and bind over's. Arrest's without any charge do not need to be declared because they are not relevant because it could of been wrongful arrest or you was falsely accused of something. If you really feel you have to declare an arrest then do it but it's not a requirement.
It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man. Psalm 118:8

Moredread
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Moredread » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:06 pm

I'm one who declared being wrongfully arrested as well as being cautioned for acting suspiciously and also being given a fixed penalty for dropping a cigarette butt.
I felt that putting everything down was not only honest but left very little room for the vettingvteam to say I'd missed something out.

Moredread
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Moredread » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:06 pm

I'm one who declared being wrongfully arrested as well as being cautioned for acting suspiciously and also being given a fixed penalty for dropping a cigarette butt.
I felt that putting everything down was not only honest but left very little room for the vettingvteam to say I'd missed something out.

Lincolnimp
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Lincolnimp » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:19 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. I have just emailed them. Fingers crossed I haven't just blown my chances of becoming a prison officer.

Kryptonian
Committee Member
Committee Member
Sacred: 'Onyx'

Post by Kryptonian » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:02 am

I certainly don't think you've ruined your chances. I'm sure forgetting something from so long ago is acceptable and not necessarily deemed as hiding something. Be on the safe side and email them, to explain it. Good luck

Saxon79
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Saxon79 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:10 pm

Just thought I would encourage those who don't have a whiter than white background. Today my status changed and I have passed vetting. I have in the past been cautioned and received 2 bind overs as well as being arrested for something else although i was released without charge as allegation was false. I originally forgot to mention about a bind over but emailed vetting at a later date. Since my days of being a naughty boy I served in the Army, got a degree at University and worked for the Dwp. My point here is that do not be discouraged if you have a few convictions or whatever. If I can pass vetting then most people will. As long as they see you have been rehabilitated then you should be totally fine. If you have any convictions from years ago I wouldn't worry. As long as you not a murderer, rapist or terrorist then you should be fine.
It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man. Psalm 118:8

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic