• Active Topics  Back Forward Stop Play
mChat Sunday @ 0900 hrs
Celticbhoy

Need to remember the prison is ours we just let them stay there. So none of this it's there house or own space. You can't go to a hotel and spark up?

falkor
I vaguely remember some movie where tons of missing people were returned to the planet including Glen Miller although he was slightly changed and now played reggae
manc-apollo
In some YOI they do get gifts,socks or little stocking filler type things. Staff will usually get a longer dinner there will be a little fewer staff on over the whole day because bang up is usually earlier. You will tend to find its harder to bang up the more difficult cons near the end of your day over the festive period.
Moredread
We're also doing something different again this year for food. Last year I did a tapas which was amazing. This year with be a 3 bird game pie (pheasant, partridge and duck - all shot locally and prepared by yours truly), roast potatoes and parsnips, carrots and peas with a home made stuffing.
SgtBush
But boss boss....... NO.
No is a good word to have.
You can change a no to a yes easier than a yes to a no if your unsure.

do join us :slcu: on this early morning mChat, a variety of questions and answers to be had
have your questions prepped for our experts and you will get an on the spot answer
click the X top right of this Announcement panel :x-)

Less then one month in.

Ask any question you like, prison officers are here to answer you!

Moderator: Chryo

Baywatch
Registered Member
Registered Member

Less then one month in.

Post by Baywatch » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:52 am

Good morning.

I work in a very busy prison on the worst wing in the prison. Let me just say before I start I really enjoy the job.

Now I've been live for 2 weeks. Even though it's only been 2 weeks I have dealt with a lot and with staffs help it's been great.

I'm not sure if I've made the right choice by becoming a prison officer. I have so far been made to sign a form to say I got a count wrong even though it was a blanket blame and there was 25 other officers involved. Been pulled into the governor's office and made to explain why the wing was so untid. Same governor kicked my ass for our wing being unorganised this was done on my wing one 2 one.

This is making me think I've joined at a bad time. The training is a joke, staff to have no time to show me the ropes so I'm literally learning on my own.

Now as I said at the Beginning I've only been live 2 weeks and had three ass Kickin . In my past job of 14 years got to the dizzy Heights of operations manager and not one negative on my employment history.

Don't think I can hold my tongue on the next ass kicking.

Gravey957
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Re: Less then one month in.

Post by Gravey957 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:35 am

So you (the new boy) are been made the scapegoat !! This is workplace bullying at the highest level why are you standing for it !! Contact your POA rep and get this sorted out

There is no place for a bully in the workplace anymore and it needs to be stamped out
January 2017 application & post
3rd Feb RAD
10 th Feb RAD results
27 May the call 1/1/18 induction & 8/1/18 POELT ( newbold)
June 2017 training location changed to Medway
16 Dec 2017 training location changed to cookham wood

roninwarrior83
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by roninwarrior83 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:53 am

You've been filled in 3 times in 2 weeks!????

Fireflash
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Fireflash » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:57 am

Gravey i absolutely share your sentiments and yes there is no place for bullying in the workplace..... the op has to play it carefully though.. he/she could be dismissed with no chance of a tribunal as they are within their first year... unless they can prove that it is discrimination!
My advice, let your governor know that you feel aggrieved, arrange a meeting with them and take a rep with you... keep a diary.
This behaviour risks you from becoming a wreck, and that is when you will start making mistakes under pressure.. not to mention the fact that you will probably go home after every shift feeling terrible and then your family will suffer!!
I wish you all the best and hope that it sorts its self out

roninwarrior83
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by roninwarrior83 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:02 am

Fireflash in reality you have no employment rights till you've been in a job for 2 years

Fireflash
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Fireflash » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:04 am

Things must have changed since my rep days... that makes it even worse

roninwarrior83
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by roninwarrior83 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:06 am

Was changed by the coalition gov buddy. Basically now an employer can just get rid for no reason for up to 2 years service

Fireflash
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Fireflash » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:08 am

Thanks for that info.... although it has made me feel angry. :slst:

Kryptonian
Committee Member
Committee Member
Sacred: 'Onyx'

Post by Kryptonian » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:13 am

Thank you for the very honest post Baywatch. I wish you well and hope things get better and am glad you have had some support from the others. As the other posters have said, you must discuss your concerns with someone at your establishment. I'm sure they wouldn't want to lose you.
Please keep us updated with your progress (which I have no doubt you will make). :slsm:

Gravey957
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by Gravey957 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:13 am

Whilst bullying isn't breaking any specific law harassment is and if you feel you are being harassed into taking the fall for others mistakes just because you are the newer member of staff it needs to be reported

The behaviour of the other members of staff also certainly contravenes the HMPPS values and standards
January 2017 application & post
3rd Feb RAD
10 th Feb RAD results
27 May the call 1/1/18 induction & 8/1/18 POELT ( newbold)
June 2017 training location changed to Medway
16 Dec 2017 training location changed to cookham wood

Andy888
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Andy888 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:53 am

Maybe the op could rasise their concerns with the establishmentments POELT mentor?, might make a better go between I'm thinking.

Kirk
Counsellor
Counsellor

Post by Kirk » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:07 pm

That does seem very unfair on someone very junior and inexperienced. and a failure of leadership at all levels. Deffo go to ur POA rep this borderline bullying and harassment imo. And they wonder why people don't stay

Baywatch
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Baywatch » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:55 pm

Thanks for your support and advice. Much appreciated.

Cheers,
Bay.

SgtBush
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by SgtBush » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:17 pm

Baywatch wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:52 am
Good morning.

I work in a very busy prison on the worst wing in the prison. Let me just say before I start I really enjoy the job.

Now I've been live for 2 weeks. Even though it's only been 2 weeks I have dealt with a lot and with staffs help it's been great.

I'm not sure if I've made the right choice by becoming a prison officer. I have so far been made to sign a form to say I got a count wrong even though it was a blanket blame and there was 25 other officers involved. Been pulled into the governor's office and made to explain why the wing was so untid. Same governor kicked my ass for our wing being unorganised this was done on my wing one 2 one.

This is making me think I've joined at a bad time. The training is a joke, staff to have no time to show me the ropes so I'm literally learning on my own.

Now as I said at the Beginning I've only been live 2 weeks and had three ass Kickin . In my past job of 14 years got to the dizzy Heights of operations manager and not one negative on my employment history.

Don't think I can hold my tongue on the next ass kicking.

dont worry, give it time . all will drop into place

Lagertha
Gold Committee Member
Gold Committee Member
Mood:

Post by Lagertha » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:36 pm

I agree with fireflash, Gravey and Andy. If it's not your shit being thrown at you - stand up, deflect and be confident in your role. You've qualified for good reason. Maybe ask to be moved wings. You're doing nowt wrong 😊
Applied 16/04/2017, passed RAD 16/05, submitted vetting 18/05, got the call 07/07, Contract received and role accepted 18/07, familiarisation visit 19/07, induction week 24/07, POELT Sunningdale 31/07, Newbold 31/07 night, thanks 'ss' :slcoo:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic