• Active Topics  Back Forward Stop Play

New Recruits

Ask any question you like, prison officers are here to answer you!

Moderator: Chryo

mrblax
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mood:

New Recruits

Post by mrblax » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:23 pm

Hi, I just wanted to know what experienced prison officers made of this recruitment campaign, has it helped with alleviating the pressure that is currently on you? Do the new recruits have the stomach to take up whats been thrown at them, literally.

Do you think anything different or could be added to the training that is currently going on to prepare new recruits?

CP81
Official Member
Official Member

Re: New Recruits

Post by CP81 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:47 pm

It's great to have numbers coming in, but not many will stay due to the money, the job being completely different to what they expect and the fact that they are thrown in and it's sink or swim. I feel sorry for them, older staff don't get time to properly show them the ropes, everyone is far too busy and it's just not right. I hope things will improve but if you're coming in to the job don't expect someone holding your hand for a few weeks, this simply won't happen. It's not that people don't want to help and I'm sure they will when possible but in my experience it was a couple of days shadowing and then "right you're now on the numbers and today you're on Cleaning officer"......

SWM5436
Elite Member
Elite Member
Mood:

Post by SWM5436 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:57 pm

Wasn't this answered in the other thread when you asked a similar question?
Fam visit then POST - 21 June
RAD - 12 July
RAD result - 14 July
Conditional offer - 17 July
Vetting - 18 July
OH Assist - 28 Sept/9 Nov
Waiting the call - 11 Nov :slyay:
The Call 15 Nov - Start date TBC

mrblax
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mood:

Post by mrblax » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:01 pm

If they know the numbers aren't staying, then surely there has to be another way of addressing the money being invested in new recruits rather then playing a numbers game and seeing out of x amount, then w amount will stay!

I'm still in the vetting process, and fingers crossed all goes well, even I don't know how I will react, going live, it all becomes real. Sink or swim is the best way to put it I guess.

I'm just hoping that all of us waiting to pass the vetting and going into this can stomach it and hope recruiting down the line brings in people of the same calibre so that it makes these establishments a safe place for everyone.

Wishful thinking, I know.

Saxon79
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Saxon79 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:04 pm

Well I start in just over 5 weeks and if it's a case of thrown in at the deep end after training then I'm going to have to learn swim fast! I like a challenge so let's hope I'm up to it.
It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man. Psalm 118:8

Bulldog21
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Bulldog21 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:10 pm

I had a familiarisation day yesterday and they said that it's now 13 weeks before you go live, 1 week at establishment, 10 weeks poelt and then 2 weeks shadowing before you go live, so maybe they have seen that throwing people in the deep end isn't working :slbx:
I refuse to tip toe though life only to reach death safely :slbx:

mrblax
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mood:

Post by mrblax » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:14 pm

I suppose two weeks shadowing is good, better then being thrown into the deep end straight away.

Wish everyone all the best and good luck with the vetting process, and those that are going live, post your experiences on here!!

CP81
Official Member
Official Member

Post by CP81 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:12 pm

I really hope you are all given 2 weeks full shadowing, it will benefit you greatly but from my experience it was 2/3 days at best before I was needed because of the short falls in staff. Maybe this has improved, hope so. I'm not trying to be down and gloomy, just passing on my own personal experience when starting. Good luck and stay safe

Saxon79
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Saxon79 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:19 pm

How long have you been an Officer?
It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man. Psalm 118:8

CP81
Official Member
Official Member

Post by CP81 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:08 pm

Around 3 years now

andylamb
Executive Officer
Executive Officer
Class: 'Bounty Hunter'
Alignment: 'Thunder'

Post by andylamb » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:17 pm

I think people are seriously over thinking and over exaggerating the situation to be honest.

The service is in a situation where we have lost a lifetime of experience and good men and women. We will never get that back.

However the old way of working does not reflect society today.

And a new wave of officers might just be what the system needs.

It has been estimated that 80% of new recruits will not stay hence why there are currently 9,000 men and women from multiple backgrounds being treained to then eventually leave us with approx 2,500 good officers.

But we have to weed out the dead weight first.

As for will it do any good?
What is the alternative?
My Karma just ran over your dogma.
RAD - 10/02/2017 -
Application & Vetting & Appeal - 01/03/2017 >
Contract - 08/05/2018
POELT due to start - 31/06/2017

Andy888
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Andy888 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:35 pm

But even then, I think everyone agrees that the service needs to do far more than it has been doing to help with retention levels for new staff to deal with the issues and prevent most leaving within the first 2 years of service where by they will already have invested massive sums in recruiting and training said prison officers.

andylamb
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by andylamb » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:52 pm

What can be done for rentention?

You are either fit for the job or you aren't.
Some people think they are and are proved wrong very quickly.
Some are and excel!
RAD - 10/02/2017 -
Contract - 08/05/2018

fenner

Post by fenner » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:38 pm

mrblax wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:23 pm
Hi, I just wanted to know what experienced prison officers made of this recruitment campaign, has it helped with alleviating the pressure that is currently on you? Do the new recruits have the stomach to take up whats been thrown at them, literally.

Do you think anything different or could be added to the training that is currently going on to prepare new recruits?
....you will be thrown in at the deep end...you may have to go live without your baton because everyone who has the power to get you one is on holiday..you may be told by a serving SO that he is sick to death of new inexperienced poelts being forced on him..on the plus side your colleagues will get you through..is it worth the pay..no way..

andylamb
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by andylamb » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:41 am

fenner wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:38 pm
.....is it worth the pay..no way.
Why do you do it then?

Seriously, if you don't like the job or the pay or whatever it is, then move on to something else.

Because there are plenty of people that will love the job and do it because they want to.
RAD - 10/02/2017 -
Contract - 08/05/2018

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic