• Active Topics  Back Forward Stop Play

Open prison

Ask any question you like, prison officers are here to answer you!

Moderator: Chryo

Mcfc26
Registered Member
Registered Member

Open prison

Post by Mcfc26 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:39 pm

Recently applied for a open prison due to being merit listed on a other application. I'm just wondering if anyone can provide a bit more information what is involved at a open prison ect. I know basically what a open prison is but how would the job role differ from a secure to open?

SassySez
Official Member
Official Member
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Re: Open prison

Post by SassySez » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:13 pm

That's a good question, as Catagory D prisoners are almost like normal people.. as in they are allowed to get in their car, go to work, and drive back to the establishment.. the prison is essentially their village in which they live. They are generally highly trusted prisoners that pose little risk to the public.

I would think the rehabilitation would be similar, as they will still have human problems.

Personally I would speak to the prison you have applied for, explain that you have applied to work there and ask to speak to someone in regards to responsibilities etc.

Lthenewbie
Committee Member
Committee Member
Mood:

Post by Lthenewbie » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:08 am

Ring the establishment and ask for a familiarisation visit

Catd2017

Post by Catd2017 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:55 pm

I currently work in a Cat D and I must say that the above comment has it all wrong. The first role is never trust a prisoner. They do not drive themselves out to work and back and most of the outside work parties are supervised. The category of prison isn’t based on the crime or danger of the prisoner. It’s based on their escape risk.

Lthenewbie
Committee Member
Committee Member
Mood:

Post by Lthenewbie » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:26 pm

I agree partly with what your saying but the category is predominantly based on their crime ... let me give you an example I walk out my door tomorrow and shoot somebody would I go to a cat d prison because I've never tried to escape from a jail before ?

danboy17
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by danboy17 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:19 pm

On POELT you learn all the categories, a new prisoner is very unlikely to go straight into a CAT D. CAT D prisoners are categorized on their escape risk, offence committed is not really taken into account.

CAT D prisoners are those that are trusted and unlikely to escape or those that are given ROTL

SWM5436
Committee Member
Committee Member
Mood:

Post by SWM5436 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:22 pm

Categorisation is based on the level of risk a prisoner might pose to the public or national security should they escape and the likelihood of their making attempts to do so.
Fam visit then POST - 21 June
RAD - 12 July
RAD result - 14 July
Conditional offer - 17 July
Vetting - 18 July
OH Assist - 28 Sept/9 Nov
Waiting the call - 11 Nov :slyay:
The Call 15 Nov - Start date TBC

Tiger
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tiger » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:42 pm

Lthenewbie wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:08 am
Ring the establishment and ask for a familiarisation visit

This. I’ve been to a familiarisation event at a cat c. They are fab.
:slbg: RAD 2nd Sept
:slyay: RAD results 4th Sept
Now waiting... :slwin:

Vetting form :sltgn: 6th Oct
Submitted 15th Oct :slred:

:slyay: on the vetting train :slcl:

K123
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by K123 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:45 pm

I live around the corner from an open prison. At the time I applied they weren't recruting, they are aloud out to work i believe, you can even go in and get your haircut for
About a quid lol they have a garden centre that they work in also that's open to members of the public. Or it used to be. Sorry if I'm wrong
22nd April - RAD
28th April - RAD results passed/OH Assist Returned
12th May - Merit Listed
1st August - Conditional Offer/Submitted Vetting

On the vetting train :slyay:

K123
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by K123 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:46 pm

I think they are on there last stretch of there sentence and are ready for realease
22nd April - RAD
28th April - RAD results passed/OH Assist Returned
12th May - Merit Listed
1st August - Conditional Offer/Submitted Vetting

On the vetting train :slyay:

Celticbhoy
Executive Member
Executive Member
Mood:

Post by Celticbhoy » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:01 am

An open prison will have all types of criminals from fraud to murderers but it will so happen that the murderer has served the majority of there tariff for example 10 years and are now being prepared for release and going out in the community for things like work placements or what we see as small things like going shopping and handling money.

In Scotland you will only be sent to an open prison if you were a long term prisoner(over 4 1/2 years) and you have done more than half of it. There is a lot hoops to jump through before gaining entry. You would never be sent straight there just to being a blue-collar criminal.

mc_nemo
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by mc_nemo » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:27 pm

Working in open conditions you will get the piss taken out of you by your closed colleagues. this is mainly because they are jelous that they are running about like headless chickens and have prisoners being dickheads. whereas in open the hardest part is staying awake all day and finding somthing to watch on tv during nights.

as for having their own cars. no because then they have a means to abscond.

index offences range from driving offences to whole life tariff murderers. a couple of places take sex offenders as well i believe

some prisoners work outside the prison. these have been through a long drawn out process worse than vetting. Normally takes 18-24 months minimum for being able to work outside unsupervised. most others work in the prison in similar roles to closed estate; recycling, packing, etc.

laticsash92
Committee Member
Committee Member
Mood:

Post by laticsash92 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:59 am

As above, it's all based on your escape risk not the crime.
You can still have a murderer listed as a cat b/c/d prisoner.

Cat a are yes high profile cases usually as well but when are at a high risk of escape they are placed as a cat a standard, higher you then get HR and HE which is the most server case of escape and will do anything to get away. They wear jump suites rather than the standard tracksuit or your own clothes If you are lucky

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic