• Active Topics  Back Forward Stop Play

Second thoughts about joining?

Ask any question you like, prison officers are here to answer you!

Moderator: Chryo

Aitchy29
Rookie Member

Second thoughts about joining?

Post by Aitchy29 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:23 am

I’ve waded through the hundreds of Vetting threads and haven’t been able to find any topics that relate to my current predicament. I’m curious to know if anyone else, after months of waiting for clearance, has changed their mind about joining the service?

I recently received confirmation I had passed and a start date but I think I may talked myself out of taking the job after the time spent waiting.

I’m not unhappy in my current role and I’m relatively successful. My reasons for signing up initially were based on good career prospects, job security and a genuine interest in working in such a unique environment. However, does the risk of leaving a job in the private sector that I’m relatively happy in, to take a job I could hate, outweigh the prospect of a career in the service that really and truly could be unbelievably rewarding?

I appreciate the majority of people on this forum are not serving officers and it does seem to be dominated by vetting and RAD threads but if there is anyone in a similar position to myself, would be great to hear from you.

Emearg
Official Member
Official Member
Mood:

Re: Second thoughts about joining?

Post by Emearg » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:27 am

Hello my friend, I can fully understand what is going on in your mind .. Here's my story and why I'm here

OK so long story short I have done Nye on 20+ years in the motor trade. Started as a mechanic - moved into sales around 2004. Have run dealerships, gave that up because I got annoyed with my head constantly being in the line of fire and at work what felt like 24 hours a day 7 days a week.

Came back down to work on the sales floor and not blowing my trumpet am a very good salesman - made a good few £££ but again the industry is difficult and I am so bored and had enough.

Yes I could go on for another 20 years doing the same old crap day in day out but I want more, a new challenge, something that I want to get out of bed for.

Like you I have had my doubts, do I ?? Don't I ?? What if ?? etc ...

At the end of the day I'm 45 on the 25th of this month and if I don't do something now I will regret it.

If its not what I thought ... So what I can always full back on what I know but I think this is the right move and like anything its what you make it. Yes I have read all the negatives but I have spoken to a few officers on the visits I have been on that love the job and to be fair the atmosphere and comradely seems absolutely brilliant.

You've past vetting now so go with it and enjoy :slcu: :slcu:
8th April 17, Applied - 31 May 17, Familiarisation Day - 8th June 17, Attended RAD/Fail - 6th July 17, Attended development day/Passed - 25th July 17, conditional offer - 26th July 17, vetting started - 29th September, Received start date. :slyay:

Xombi
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Xombi » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:58 am

Nearly every serving officer I have heard from away from this forum really love the job. A few didn't, but it isn't a job for everyone, is it?

If you are happy with the money and other contractual things, why not venture out? Just ask yourself, do you really want to do it for what it could be, or do you want to do it because of what you think it might be? They could be drastically different things...

Emearg
Official Member
Official Member
Mood:

Post by Emearg » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:45 pm

:slag:
8th April 17, Applied - 31 May 17, Familiarisation Day - 8th June 17, Attended RAD/Fail - 6th July 17, Attended development day/Passed - 25th July 17, conditional offer - 26th July 17, vetting started - 29th September, Received start date. :slyay:

Rossco
Official Member
Official Member
Sacred: 'Dragoon'

Post by Rossco » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:01 pm

Hi,
I'm due to start my induction on 13th November. This is a job that I have been thinking about doing for 10 years or more. Many moons ago I worked for one of the infamous contractors taking prisoners from prisons and police stations to court and back and I loved it. I finally decided to apply back in April. It's been a long road and I'm finally here.

My predicament is that I currently do security in a real laid back environment with the best bunch of lads I've ever worked with. I do 2 10 hour days followed by 2 14 hour nights. Then I'm off for 4 days. Well technically three as my first day off I've already done from midnight to 8am. I get the same money as prison service in London get for the 41 hour shift. The problem is that it is boring the life out of me, and the 14 hour nights are torturous.

I've wanted to do this for ages but it's a case of better the devil you know sometimes. Plus I have got the wife banging on in my ear about hours and the danger and all that.

Anyway I'm rambling so will leave it there and just wish you luck. If I don't do it I know I will always regret it. If I do and i don't like it I can always reapply for my old job or get a similar job.

Lsteeps
Executive Member
Executive Member
Sacred: 'Yeti Master'

Post by Lsteeps » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:27 pm

Every day. I first applied last November, I put off my RAD for 3 months, had to redo my fitness test put that off too. After nearly 12 months, 2 visits and lots of thinking I will start POELT on 23rd October. It's certainly not a job to rush into and I have thought constantly about the "worst case" scenario. It's only natural to have second thoughts but you will need to be 110% committed.

rmurzz
Official Member
Official Member

Post by rmurzz » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:35 pm

This is a really good thread,

I personally feel some people on this forum try to convince us people going through recruitment not to join. Yes, it don't help seeing so much negative stuff on here.

I've made my decision from the start I'm going in! Whether for better or worst..

But yeah has been couple times I've doubted it...

Hope you make the right decision everyone

rmurzz
Official Member
Official Member

Post by rmurzz » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:39 pm

Also may I ask?
Have you been for a familiarisation visit?

This really help me decide, I had mine before my RAD!

rmurzz
Official Member
Official Member

Post by rmurzz » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:52 pm

Xombi wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:58 am
Nearly every serving officer I have heard from away from this forum really love the job. A few didn't, but it isn't a job for everyone, is it?

If you are happy with the money and other contractual things, why not venture out? Just ask yourself, do you really want to do it for what it could be, or do you want to do it because of what you think it might be? They could be drastically different things...
Funny that, everyone I've spoken to that are currently doing the job love it.

I recon this forum is full of all the haters of the job. That's how it seems.

Aitchy29
Rookie Member

Post by Aitchy29 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:39 pm

Thanks for all your replies, I did a familiarisation tour and was sold. My problem is, that was 5 months ago and I’ve forgotton all the reasons I wanted to do the job.

My mum tells me ‘be brave’, my sister tells me ‘it’s too dangerous’. For me, it’s not about bravery, it’s about doing it and doing it properly. I don’t go into things half heartedly, it’s all or nothing. I’ve heard bad and I’ve heard good and I am well aware that it is a very personal choice. I would really like to hear from someone in the service that really loves the job because I’ve heard the negatives and I think we all have.

Xombi
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Xombi » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:54 pm

rmurzz wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:52 pm

I recon this forum is full of all the haters of the job. That's how it seems.
I also feel a rather negative vibe to the forum, but I also see that serving officers do take the time to advise and inform where they can, and generally try to be as helpful as possible, so I suspect maybe it is a place to vent where others may understand?

Aitchy29
Rookie Member

Post by Aitchy29 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:57 pm

Xombi wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:58 am

Honest answer, I don’t know what it could or might be, it could be the making of me, it might be horrendous. I could make a difference, I might not....

I might love it, I could hate it. The decision is mine and mine only, but it helps to hear it’s not just me!

SWM5436
Committee Member
Committee Member
Mood:

Post by SWM5436 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:00 pm

This forum isn’t full of haters or people that hate the job you need to look at know the danger to see that. People on here are telling you their experiences, yes they tend to be more negative than positive but in the current climate that’s all your going to hear from a service that has been used and abused.

I’m coming up to 24 years in the Army and compared to what it was when I joined I would advise against new people joining, the pension has been taken away, all the perks are now hard to come by and the government are constantly looking at ways to make us more efficient with less people and less kit (sound familiar?)

The guys on here are just trying to prepare you for what you are about to embark on, for them they may have seen the service at a better time than it currently is and that is why it comes across the way it does but for new joiners we will never no any different so therefore know no better.
Fam visit then POST - 21 June
RAD - 12 July
RAD result - 14 July
Conditional offer - 17 July
Vetting - 18 July
OH Assist - 28 Sept/9 Nov
Waiting the call - 11 Nov :slyay:
The Call 15 Nov - Start date TBC

Aitchy29
Rookie Member

Post by Aitchy29 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:06 pm

Let’s be honest, what percentage of people on this forum are serving officers? 10%? I wish I could speak to officers and find out what it’s really like, unfortunately I can’t and so I have to base my decision on what I’ve heard from recruits and old school officers, I genuinely have no idea what life in the service is currently about...

SWM5436
Committee Member
Committee Member
Mood:

Post by SWM5436 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:39 pm

Probably a lot more than 10% but they have access to their own part of the forum so can only imagine most post in there. Have you researched the job, had a familiarisation visit and spoken to officers? We are quite lucky in the services in so much as we have a serving governor who acts as a military liaison and is very approachable should we have enquiries.

Most of the serving officers probably of the officers probably don’t read about 90% of what’s posted on here as it tends to be the same questions that have been answered time and time again because people are too lazy to use the search, or they are simply to busy working and covering PP due to staff shortages.
Last edited by SWM5436 on Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fam visit then POST - 21 June
RAD - 12 July
RAD result - 14 July
Conditional offer - 17 July
Vetting - 18 July
OH Assist - 28 Sept/9 Nov
Waiting the call - 11 Nov :slyay:
The Call 15 Nov - Start date TBC

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic