• Active Topics  Back Forward Stop Play

Advice STC

Ask any question you like, prison officers are here to answer you!

Moderator: Chryo

jknight1992

Advice STC

Post by jknight1992 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:38 pm

Good Evening,

Sorry to be the annoying new to this guy to ask but I wondered if I could ask for some advice please. Some of these questions may have been asked before so I apologise in advance for not reading back.

I am currently an on call (retained) firefighter and I work in Student Behaviour in a large educational establishment. Previously I was a Door Supervisor in a large nightclub for 6 years (nothing like the prison service I know), however I am hoping my background will help me.

1) Can I continue being an on Call (retained firefighter)? Apparently there are prison officers that do this and I would ensure my prison shifts aren’t hindered by this employment.

2) What are the shifts like (I know that’s such a general question but just an idea for a secure training centre, such as Rochester)?

3) The POELT course, I’m told sometimes is local, sometimes is residential, do I get any preference over this?

4) Is there any advice you can give me, incase I am successful and get in?

5) How long does the recruitment process take as a whole?

Sorry for the amount of general questions.

Thank you in advance.

SWM5436
Committee Member
Committee Member
Mood:

Re: Advice STC

Post by SWM5436 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:12 pm

Welcome

1. You will need to get permission from your governor to continue with second employment.
2. No idea, hopefully someone can answer that for you
3. Residential is dependent on how long you have to travel, area depends on what’s available at the time you want to do it, people have picked courses that are close to home but have had to wait for that course.
4. Can’t help as I am still in Vetting but all I can say is be yourself, don’t promise them anything, and remember it’s easier to turn a no in to a yes than a yes in to a no.
5. Vetting can range from 3 weeks to almost a year in some cases

Good luck.
Fam visit then POST - 21 June
RAD - 12 July
RAD result - 14 July
Conditional offer - 17 July
Vetting - 18 July
OH Assist - 28 Sept/9 Nov
Waiting the call - 11 Nov :slyay:
The Call 15 Nov - Start date TBC

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic