• Active Topics  Back Forward Stop Play
mChat Sunday @ 0900 hrs
Celticbhoy

Need to remember the prison is ours we just let them stay there. So none of this it's there house or own space. You can't go to a hotel and spark up?

falkor
I vaguely remember some movie where tons of missing people were returned to the planet including Glen Miller although he was slightly changed and now played reggae
manc-apollo
In some YOI they do get gifts,socks or little stocking filler type things. Staff will usually get a longer dinner there will be a little fewer staff on over the whole day because bang up is usually earlier. You will tend to find its harder to bang up the more difficult cons near the end of your day over the festive period.
Moredread
We're also doing something different again this year for food. Last year I did a tapas which was amazing. This year with be a 3 bird game pie (pheasant, partridge and duck - all shot locally and prepared by yours truly), roast potatoes and parsnips, carrots and peas with a home made stuffing.
SgtBush
But boss boss....... NO.
No is a good word to have.
You can change a no to a yes easier than a yes to a no if your unsure.

do join us :slcu: on this early morning mChat, a variety of questions and answers to be had
have your questions prepped for our experts and you will get an on the spot answer
click the X top right of this Announcement panel :x-)

Just going through vetting - more info needed

Ask any question you like, prison officers are here to answer you!

Moderator: Chryo

Charlie1988

Just going through vetting - more info needed

Post by Charlie1988 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:12 pm

Hi,

I’m currently going through vetting for a Cat A at the moment and have been given little / no info about what it’s realy like to be a prison officer. In fact iv’e gained more knowledge reading through this site and my own research than been provided.

I understand the risks and the job more after reading through tons of threads on here but theres just a few personal questions i need answering:

1. Can you vape / smoke (at selected times of course, or is this just at lunch?)
2. Do you get the same wage every month or do you just get paid for the hours you work that month?
3. Do colleagues realy have your back?
4. Is overtime there when you want it, or just when it’s offered?
5. I’m looking to become a dog handler, how realistic is this? Or is there one job every now and again with 100+ applicants
6. I’m looking for a career / forever job in the service. Is this a realistic possibility?

If there are any existing or past officers out there that wouldn’t mind answering the above, i’d realy appreciate it.

Thanks

TangoVictor
Official Member
Official Member
Mood:

Re: Just going through vetting - more info needed

Post by TangoVictor » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:46 pm

Most of these questions could have be answered had you searched the forum.

But, vaping, I don’t know why you would think you can vape any time you like? This should be done on breaks. But then again some prisons are going smoke free and it looks like the working and is successful, so more and more will possibly follow suit.

You’re in a salary, so you’ll get paid per month your salary plus any OT. Unless for some reason you’re docked pay ect for whatever reasons.

Odd question about colleagues having your back, but at the end of the day you’re a team. So as long you’re not an a**e I can see why not?

OT will be available as and when. Just search overtime in the search bar and you’ll get an idea ...

Dog unit. It’s a nice role right? Sounds good and fun and ace? Well yeah, there will be plenty of applicants. You just need to be the best.

Career. As with most jobs. A job can become a career if you put enough into it and work hard. They’re not just gonna hand you a promotion because you turn up every day.
Starting as a Prison Officer April 2018 :slzz: :slda:

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.

Charlie1988

Post by Charlie1988 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:35 pm

Are you a serving officer? If so, how long?

Charlie1988

Post by Charlie1988 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:00 pm

Thanks for the info about the form - as I've said, I've searched it on numerous occasions but the responses are varied - and as per my comments, obviously at selected time (i.e: breaks) - do officers get breaks as well as a lunch and are you allowed to vape on these breaks without leaving the prison (Sorry should have spelled it out)

I don't think asking if colleagues having your back is an odd question, given the environment and staff shortages. I'm a big lad and i can handle myself to a certain extent, but all said and done, we will clearly be outnumbered, so some reassurance is all i was looking for.

Your comments about the dog trainer seem a little odd - are you a serving officer? do you know what your talking about, or is this just an assumption?

.... And i think you've taken my final point out of context - i was talking about job security, given the government cut backs, i was asking if officers (who are currently serving) feel as if this is a safe job I.e job security.

Mccudden
Executive Officer
Executive Officer
Mood:

Post by Mccudden » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:07 pm

Looking at the priority of your questions I have one question for you. Are you sure you want to do this job?
"Red sky at night. Shepherd's delight. Blue sky at night. Day"

SWM5436
Elite Member
Elite Member
Mood:

Post by SWM5436 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:14 pm

1. All prisons are non smoking, you will be restricted to when and where you can vape.
2. Salary wage so should be the same each month minus PP.
3. They wouldn't be your colleagues if they didn't.
4. PP will be available depending on manning at your establishment.
5. Good luck.... a restricted number of jobs means high number of applications.
6. Yes it is a possibility.
Fam visit then POST - 21 June
RAD - 12 July
RAD result - 14 July
Conditional offer - 17 July
Vetting - 18 July
OH Assist - 28 Sept/9 Nov
Waiting the call - 11 Nov :slyay:
The Call 15 Nov - Start date TBC

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic