• Active Topics  Back Forward Stop Play

The fitness test?

Ask any question you like, prison officers are here to answer you!

Moderator: Chryo

ssamm

The fitness test?

Post by ssamm » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:48 pm

Hi, I am new here and my names Sam (female)

I have recently just applied for becoming a prison officer just before Christmas and things have moved a lot faster than i though. I applied, passed the first stage of application, all the way to the numerical test ( i didn't think it would come that fast) and as i passed that i found out i have a 10 hour day including my literacy test and my fitness test. This is all happening on the 19th jan 09. Very soon, so i only have three weeks (well less) to practise.

Bit of background on me - i have never done running, not exactly a hobby of mine, and i don't work out.

So what am i expecting from the fitness test, what does it involve. I'm guessing a bleep test? if so what level? Any more information to help me be prepared for the day would be great!!

Cheers

Sam

jayh
Gold Committee Member
Gold Committee Member
Class: 'Berserker'
Alignment: 'Thunder'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Re: The fitness test?

Post by jayh » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:31 am

Hello and welcome ssamm...

if you browse through the site you will find out all you need to know about the fitness test (and other way more interesting things)

hope that helps

jay
I came,I saw,I sat and sky plussed it!!!

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Shade'

Post by falkor » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:41 am

cheers jay, quite right :slwin:

ssamm have you viewed our applications faq?

for instance - in our applications faq Q8 : grip test

Q 13 : fitness test - major thread

Q 18 : how long do you have to wait after the fitness test until you received an offer?

Q 26 : bleep test - major thread

Q 30 :fitness test - another major thread

Q 36 :fitness test - yet another major thread

Q 38 : grip test - another thread

Q 50 :what happens if you fail medical and fitness test??

Q 55 : bleep test - another major thread

Q 95 : Do they tell you on the day whether you have passed the fitness test or not?

click here to view the FAQ!!

SAMANTHA
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by SAMANTHA » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:38 am

Hi Sam, welcome to this site, it is a goldmine of info, and coupled with great people, I really hope you do well on your assessment day, best of luck

x another sam
Lettin' the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier'n puttin' it back in.
Dogs come when they're called; cats take a message and get back to you later

afresson91022
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by afresson91022 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:28 pm

Hi there,
I passed my fitness test in November 2008 so this info should be up to date...

1. Bleep test - you must practice the 15m test NOT the 20m test. If you are tempted to download be very careful or you may get the 20m one because it is more commonly used. If you get stuck let me know and I can always send you a disk copy. The bleep test runs to level 5.4 (7 shuttles in level 1, 8 in level 2, 8 in level 3, 8 in level 4 and 4 in level 5, ie up to level 5.4). This equates to 35 x 15m shuttle runs. To practice I had been doing 20mins jog at 8kph on a treadmill (1.5 miles) and measured out the correct distance at my gyms car park and practiced the bleep test.

2. Obstacle course - running around a series of cones covering around 115m and you must do this in 34 seconds. There isn't really much you can do to practice this other than focus on your treadmill jogging. Don't worry about this one too much because as you set off the instructors tell you which way to go!

If you aren't a member of a gym don't panic. A 20min run on a treadmill is about the equivalent of a 15min jog outside. Try to cover at least a mile. Doiing it without stopping is the key.

3. Riot shield - must hold riot shield in front of you with one leg in front of the other for 1 min. The shield weighs 7kg. To practice I used a 4kg hand weight in each hand and held at shoulder level for 2 mins and did this exercise twice. Could also use a medicine ball and hold with two hands directly in front of you - quite cheap from argos.

4. Grip test - must be able to grip at least 25 - whatever that means!? Don't know if its PSI or Kg's but either way I just bought some hand grips from argos again to practice and different equipment at the gym

5. Push/Pull resistance test - again the minimum requirement is 35 but not sure what that was again. Again free weights or weight machines at gym. If you are fairly strong already you should be OK

I don't want to go on and on but if you are a member of a gym drop me another line and I will let you know machines, etc. The only reason I know my training regime was good was because I hired a personal trainer with personal experience so I trusted him to get me through and he certainly did!! I was no runner and still quite a heavy smoker and I did it so I am now convinced anyone can if they really want it. xx

Good luck
Anita :slbg:

bettyboop
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by bettyboop » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:18 pm

Hi afresson91022 ,

Just read your post and I just wanted to ask where I can download a copy of the bleep test disc from. I've never been a runner so struggled a little with the test :slnuts:
But I really want to practice again properly am making a real effort to get fitter, but can't seem to find a copy xx

ben
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ben » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:47 pm

i hate running so dont do it but love swimming and would go everyday if i could getting fit isnt about makeing yourself misarable its about finding something you like and doing that

bettyboop
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by bettyboop » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:53 pm

Totally agree Ben,

But.........my whole life I have never been able to run, I love the gym and the machines but running and me have just never worked!!!!
I know I struggled on my last fitness test and worry I will again if I don't get any practice in xx

ben
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ben » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:13 pm

I know what you mean my knees and ankles dont seem to be built for running they hurt alot and i always twist my ankles so dont do it but I do know that I can run over short distances very quickly if needs be and can do the fitness test quite easily

jayh
Gold Committee Member
Gold Committee Member
Class: 'Berserker'
Alignment: 'Thunder'

Post by jayh » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:05 pm

Can any seving officer please answer this one.....

what is the maximum distance they have run to aid a colleague etc and how long does the average C&R incident last?

i am not being flippant when i ask this as i do not know the answer because i am not a serving officer.

i can only assume that most incidents will be dealt with in a time of not more than 5 minutes.

a true test of fitness would be a simulated C&R incident with say a 200 metre run and then 4 minutes of constant anaerobic work to guage a candidates fitness,please tell me if i am way off the mark with this 1.

jay
I came,I saw,I sat and sky plussed it!!!

Carbon
Elite Member
Elite Member
Examiner: XIII

Post by Carbon » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:12 am

Jay,

This is a bit like a 'how long is a bit of string' question.

In most cases the further you have to run the likelihood of you getting hands on diminishes.

However I've known people run the full length of the jail and they have still been involved in the incident.

How long do they last, sometimes seconds, literally seconds, as the offender offers no resistance after being restrained but I've also seen incidents that last twenty minutes or so and members of the team have to be replaced due to injury or exhaustion.

Sorry, no hard and fast rules on this one.

afresson91022
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by afresson91022 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:28 am

Bettyboop - I cant find where I got it from but if you want to send me your postal address privately to anitafresson@msn.com I will send you a cd copy....

To all of you wanting to practice DONT buy the one from 'How to Become' because it is the wrong one!!! It's the 20m test which I bought, practiced and then failed my test miserably because my timing was all wrong. Panic not though because once you have practiced with the right one and got your pace right you will be fine...

Other forms of CV exercise are good the enhance your fitness but I was told by the instructor on the day that the only way to really prepare for the bleep is to run, 20m continuous jog and you will pass easily.

Hope this helps guys :slre:

FInally, I agree that a 'response to incident' test would be far more meaningful but I wouldn't hold your breath. If anyone was going to introduce that I would have thought the police or fire service would do it before the prison service.

C ya. Nonny (aka afresson91022) xx :slre:

bettyboop
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by bettyboop » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:28 pm

Hi Afreeson,

That's really good of you thanks a lot much appreciated!!! I have sent you a pm. Just let me know how much I owe you :slbg:

Think if i get some proper practice in with the disc then I might just be able to make my body understand that running is a good thing!!!!! ( we'll see ha ha )

Thanks again xxx :slraz:

Burnlee
Elite Member
Elite Member
Class: 'Holy Avenger'
Alignment: 'Lightning'

Post by Burnlee » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:43 pm

For the 15m bleep test, this can be downloaded on the South Yorks Police site. In one of the FAQ's put forward by Falkor it will be in there. Just look through and away you go.
You can also see footage of each of the tests on the whatsontheinside site.

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:01 pm

does anyone on here done the test in rochester

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic