• Active Topics  Back Forward Stop Play
mChat Sunday @ 0900 hrs
Celticbhoy

Need to remember the prison is ours we just let them stay there. So none of this it's there house or own space. You can't go to a hotel and spark up?

falkor
I vaguely remember some movie where tons of missing people were returned to the planet including Glen Miller although he was slightly changed and now played reggae
manc-apollo
In some YOI they do get gifts,socks or little stocking filler type things. Staff will usually get a longer dinner there will be a little fewer staff on over the whole day because bang up is usually earlier. You will tend to find its harder to bang up the more difficult cons near the end of your day over the festive period.
Moredread
We're also doing something different again this year for food. Last year I did a tapas which was amazing. This year with be a 3 bird game pie (pheasant, partridge and duck - all shot locally and prepared by yours truly), roast potatoes and parsnips, carrots and peas with a home made stuffing.
SgtBush
But boss boss....... NO.
No is a good word to have.
You can change a no to a yes easier than a yes to a no if your unsure.

do join us :slcu: on this early morning mChat, a variety of questions and answers to be had
have your questions prepped for our experts and you will get an on the spot answer
click the X top right of this Announcement panel :x-)

How long do you spend traveling to work???

Ask any question you like, prison officers are here to answer you!

Moderator: Chryo

welshben
Registered Member
Registered Member

How long do you spend traveling to work???

Post by welshben » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:25 pm

Hi guys,

i need to relocate to be closer to my prison, taking into account the partner etc! i am currently looking at 1 hour 30 min drive each way! is this too much?

thanks

adamski13
Executive Member
Executive Member
Class: 'Daywalker'
Alignment: 'Shadow'

Re: How long do you spend traveling to work???

Post by adamski13 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:49 pm

Yes I think so. After an a shift this will be a nightmare followed by something like an early start. I'm 20mins from my nick .

sharpe
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by sharpe » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:10 pm

yes if you do 5 days a week then thats 15 hours just travelling never mind the expense of this

Templar1992
Executive Member
Executive Member
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by Templar1992 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:17 pm

I agree - you're putting 3 hrs a day onto an A shift and I'm assuming thats 90 minutes on a decent run not 90 minutes in rain, hail, snow and bank holiday traffic.......you'll be knackered and make yourself ill!!

Peat
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Peat » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:22 pm

I agree with Adamski, like him I'm only 20mins. from my nick. The most I would travel would be half an hour. In a previous life I would travel from God's own county (Yorkshire) to the dark side (Lancashire) every day at a journey time of an hour and a quarter (on a good day!) and to me it was two and a half hours of my day (and life) wasted. As said can you imagine doing this travelling before and and after an 'A' shift! No thank you.......If you can get nearer do it if only for your own sanity.
Here endeth todays pontification. Amen :slbg:
No Matter Where You Go...........There You Are..........

gaoler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by gaoler » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:07 pm

I enjoy my 50 to 60 minute drive home.. chill out time, and I love driving...! But more than that would become a chore I think..

Skippy
Elite Legion
Elite Legion
Sacred: 'Dragoon'

Post by Skippy » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:59 pm

50 minutes is my commute and, like others on here, I use it as a bridge between work and home. It's an easy route, single lane road, little traffic and nice views on the way.

90 minutes is too much each way. Fuel costs are rising. 15 hours a week will leave you exhausted.
simples

Lan
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Lan » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:44 pm

Agreed, with fuel costs of 3 hours driving per shift, the costs wouldnt add up with being on officer 2 wages.

Wizza
Committee Member
Committee Member
S Class: Systems

Post by Wizza » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:21 pm

I drive 55 miles (hour) each way, and to be honest I thought it would bug me but i've been doing it for over a year and it doesn't bother me at all. I find that if you leave the prison in a bad mood, by the time you get home (had a sing and a dance in the car) your happy as larry. My opinion anyway :D

brown6690

Post by brown6690 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:59 pm

I love traveling so much.and i have no time spend for work while driving. but some time i going in train so i have to work in laptop. Doing while traveling i am free so i have to must working related office work only.

SR90
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by SR90 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:28 am

I've been at both ends of this. I used to do a 115 mile round trip commute to work. It used to take me an hour each way and cost me approx £300 per month in fuel - let alone the wear and tear on my car (put over 30000 miles on it just commuting). Although the hour's drive allowed a bit of relaxation after work, it also meant getting up at 5:20am, leaving the house at 6am to get to work, leaving work at 19:30 or 20:45 depending what fininsh I was on, and getting home at either 20:30 or 21:45. Thats providing we weren't late off duty due to an incident - which can happen frequently depending on establishment. When home I was absolutely knackered, have beans on toast for tea and go straight to bed ready to do the same again the next day. Time with my partner was very limited or non existant apart from weekends off.

I now live 15 minutes from my establishment (got a transfer), save £250 per month in fuel + wear and tear on vehicle and more importantly get to spend lots more time at home with my beloved due to not being sat in the car for 2 hours a day.

I did the 115 mile commute for 2 years and it was enough - especially with the rising fuel costs. I certainly wouldn't go back to doing it with the long days it involved.... I used to be out of the house for 15 hours a day.

kristorf
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by kristorf » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:22 pm

I live (reasonably) close to the nick so have a short journey so by definition loose the 'wind down period' commuting provides.
However we have a locker room so I get changed out of my black and white overalls before coming home, that gives me the calm-down time
and also means that by the time I do get home the only reminder of my latest day in paradise is a dirty shirt, works wonders.

COflyontheWALL
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by COflyontheWALL » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:41 pm

22 minutes home to gate. Used to live 5 miles from the joint, and when I had a later start job I could ride the Light Rail, which stopped near my home and pulled into a station right across the street from the prison. No such luck now...
To err is human. To blame someone else shows management potential.

ZzoL
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by ZzoL » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:39 pm

hour and a half wouldnt be such an issue if your where 9-5. leave at 7:30 and get home by about 6:30.

but you could start work most shifts at 7:30! and some not finish till 9pm! so you gonna have to leave at 6am and not get home till 10:30! and you could have to do it all again the next day!!

if its short term till you move closer then fine, otherwise i wouldn't want to do it!

MaccaForest9
Executive Officer
Executive Officer
Class: 'Daywalker'

Post by MaccaForest9 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:19 am

My chosen prison is about an hour and a half away. I think i would try to lodge somewhere cheap. I couldnt stay away for a very as i have family.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic