• Active Topics  Back Forward Stop Play
:x-) Merry Christmas from your Moderation TEAM :rein:
KIRK

Eat drink and be merry. I hope your households are full of festive cheer :x-)

falkor
May your chimneys be blessed with the arrival of a very snowy Father christmas and several reindeer! remember! leave some mince pies out for him (and a carrot for the Reindeer!) :rein:
manc-apollo
Bah Humbug!! :x-)
Karen47
"Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't Before! What if Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store. What if Christmas.........perhaps........means a little bit more!"
The Grinch talks sense. Merry Christmas & Happy New Year all xxx :rein:
click the X top right of this Announcement panel :x-)

honest advice?

Ask any question you like, prison officers are here to answer you!

Moderator: Chryo

nadiatunes

honest advice?

Post by nadiatunes » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:11 am

Hi guys!

I'm looking for some advice really. I'm currently a technical manager in an office, but since I was a teenager I have always wanted to work as a prison officer.

I am a 22 year old woman, and applied at HMP Whitemoor recently, where I was declined as a result of a oconviction for driving without due care and attention, I challenged this and it was admitted it was not right.

However HMP Peterborough are taking on. And as much as I am open minded about the job, a lot of people (family in particular), have been filling my head with horror stories, and I was just wondering if you guys would mind giving me a bit of a response.

Apparently, as I am a woman (who isnt particularly strong in terms of size) the prisoners will pick on me and start fights with me regularly,which although I am aware of, I don't want to be beaten everyday? I have been also told prisoners will rape and sexually assault at any opportunity. I am aware of verbal abuse and can deal with that, I am aware that they may try and manipulate me but did not realise violence could be on an everyday basis? Would someone mind giving me an overview please as I do plan to apply at HMP Peterborough when position arises

sprog
Registered Member
Registered Member

Re: honest advice?

Post by sprog » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:19 pm

You've been fed scare stories. Yes prisoners will be in your face every day, yes you may end up on the floor with them but its not all the time. It depends on the type of establishment you go to, the wing you work on, the job you do and most of all your own attitude. Don't put yourself in a vulnerable position, don't deliberately aggravate prisoners (as some idiots are wont to do), treat them all the same way, be consistent and don't be afraid to say no and you should do okay.The talk of rape and sexual assault is definitely bollocks. I have worked and still work with female staff who have worked in some very busy prisons and with YOIs. If anything a female face can be a calming influence where a male face can be an aggravating factor. It all depends on the prisoner. You should receive info on a daily basis about any prisoner who may pose a threat to female staff and you need to be aware of this. You are responsible for your own safety so listen to whats being said, keep your eyes and ears open at all times and be aware of your environment. And don't let existing staff take the mick by giving you all the crap jobs (IDTS isn't anyones favourite job)

You are aware that Peterborough is a privately run prison and not a public one I hope? Its a mixed prison with male, female and YOIs, YOIs being the busiest prisoner you will encounter. Private prisons are notorious for low staffing but thats the way public is going as well despite the recent recruitment campaign.

It is daunting the first time you go to work and you may wonder if you've made the right choice. My advice is stick it out and see how you are after a few month. Staff already in post will be willing to help and offer advice, don't be afraid to ask if you're unsure of anything. Whatever you decide to do good luck and hopefully you'll enjoy it if you get in.

magic
Executive Member
Executive Member
Class: 'Pixie'
Alignment: 'Vampire'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by magic » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:58 pm

Hi I believe it's all in your attitude I'm 35 but look 25 and very petite I am though very fit and strong but I have no worries about handling men in any situation so I do believe it's all in your attitude if your strong in mind you will be fine I say go for it :D
Chuck me in the deep end and I will swim!! :slbx:

purplepig20
Counsellor
Counsellor

Post by purplepig20 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:36 pm

nadiatunes wrote:Apparently, as I am a woman (who isnt particularly strong in terms of size) the prisoners will pick on me and start fights with me regularly,which although I am aware of, I don't want to be beaten everyday? I have been also told prisoners will rape and sexually assault at any opportunity. I am aware of verbal abuse and can deal with that, I am aware that they may try and manipulate me but did not realise violence could be on an everyday basis? Would someone mind giving me an overview please as I do plan to apply at HMP Peterborough when position arises
Please tell me that it wasn't serving prison staff that told you all this nonsense?! I've never heard such a crock of sh*t. :slnuts:

Regardless of whether you are male or female, we're all at risk of assault, but it's how you use your inter-personal skills, at de-escalating situations that could go badly wrong, that keeps you safe. This is a skill that some people just have naturally and some don't. Most can learn it, but there's some that will never have any people skills whatsoever. If you're one of the ones that have it naturally, then you're off to a flying start.
A lot of the time, most problems will be a verbal altercation, but sometimes they do get physical. You will be trained in how to deal with these situations should they arise.

Also, as a new officer, plenty of prisoners will try things on to see how far they can push you. If they know you're a walkover, then you're done for. If you stand up for yourself and be firm but fair and consistent, then you'll gain respect and they'll know to not try anything on. You also have to remember that as a female, you will have the added advantage that you will actually have more prisoners watching your back than after you. A lot of older males will jump in to defend you or warn you of someone. There's a few at mine that did just that this week for another female officer. They're not all out to get you!

No, it's not an easy job, but it's not all bad. Ultimately, it's your decision....
Last edited by purplepig20 on Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur!

NeedToKnowBasis
Elite Member
Elite Member
Alignment: 'Shadow'
Sacred: 'Hemlock'
Mood:

Post by NeedToKnowBasis » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:45 pm

:slag:

Now that, is a quality post with good, sensible and honest words! Nice one Purple! :slcl:

NTKB :slda:
If you post on a public forum, asking for opinions, I may give mine - I don't care if you don't like what I post... I don't care what you think about me... it simply isn't important!

Pieface123
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Pieface123 » Mon May 04, 2015 3:51 pm

This woman failed vetting on same charge so you may have to appeal like she did I can't see it being 1 rule for 1 and not the other

muse85
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by muse85 » Sat May 07, 2016 10:43 pm

Hey there... I just wanted to say that (although I am yet to start my training and don't have any actual experience yet) I do believe that the majority of people have common misconceptions of what it's like working as a prison officer. I am also female... not as young as you mind, I'm 30 at the moment and I also had a negative reception from some people I told like family and some friends. They said things like "can you work in a prison as a woman?" (Ridiculous obviously!)... and also... "oooh you're too pretty to work somewhere like that. What if you get raped or attacked?"....
What I've learned so far mainly from the awesome people on here who know their sh*t through experience is that 9 times out of 10, inmates will just do as they are told and you don't usually get much aggro. Saying that, it is all very subjective. What happens in one prison might not be the case somewhere else. You are trained to deal with any potential situation during training... and once you work in a prison you have communication with your colleagues at all times. That's all I can say really without knowing from personal experience. Mainly just wanted to comment as I had the same mentality myself but have realised over the last 18 months since initially applying that there are many most conceptions and I would only trust someone who has first hand experience NOT someone who gives you a scare story because of what they perceive the prison service to be like because of how it is portrayed in the media or because of a hear say story (which let's face it could be rubbish!!!!) Make your own mind up about it based on your experience. If you don't like it then you can always leave it. At least give it a try... that's my plan and I can't wait... it's what you make of it.

Good luck
Follow through,make your dreams come true, don't give up the fight, you will be alright, coz there's no-one like you in the universe.

Hik22
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Hik22 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:28 am

Please don't go onto a landing assuming any of the cons will have your back because you are female.

That's the only criticism of the above posts everything else is spot on!

that's not in anyway meant to put you off btw! training will teach you all you need to know, colleagues will always have your back and its all about communication.

good luck

turnscrew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by turnscrew » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:30 pm

Training will teach you very little of what you need to know. Working on the landings and talking to experienced staff will teach you a whole lot more.
Sorry not being disrespectful. But it's like learning to drive. The instructor will teach you how to pass a test but only with experience will you become a driver.
I know what I mean .....good day.

turnscrew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by turnscrew » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:34 pm

magic wrote:Hi I believe it's all in your attitude I'm 35 but look 25 and very petite I am though very fit and strong but I have no worries about handling men in any situation so I do believe it's all in your attitude if your strong in mind you will be fine I say go for it :D

I'm 53 but look 63 !!1

Sharknado
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Sharknado » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:35 pm

turnscrew wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:30 pm
Training will teach you very little of what you need to know. Working on the landings and talking to experienced staff will teach you a whole lot more.
Sorry not being disrespectful. But it's like learning to drive. The instructor will teach you how to pass a test but only with experience will you become a driver.
I know what I mean .....good day.
Some of the other advice is great but the above fits well with what I know. Every jail is different. Some of my Colleagues have told me horror stories about time at work.

If you have doubts; it’s not the career for you in my opinion regardless of gender or size. Thinking about being battered or doing the battering isn’t what the job is about: if it is, go be a boxer.

Star56
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Star56 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:59 pm

Last edited by Star56 on Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Karen47
Counsellor
Counsellor
Mood:

Post by Karen47 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:02 pm

The OP sought advice nearly 3 years ago, unlikely they'll be checking this thread :slhehe:
RAD 13/06. Pass result 14/06 :slyay: . Merit listed 20/06. Applied 2nd establishment 24/06, POST test passed 26/06. Conditional offer 11/07. Vetting starts 12/07. Passed vetting 30/10. Poelt 08/01 :slyay:

Sharknado
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Sharknado » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:51 pm

Karen47 wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:02 pm
The OP sought advice nearly 3 years ago, unlikely they'll be checking this thread :slhehe:
I think we are using the thread to share experiences... as opposed to starting a new thread. :slwott: I didn’t even look at the year of publishing - apologies, it’ll die it’s desth anyway.

purplepig20
Counsellor
Counsellor

Post by purplepig20 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:45 pm

Sometimes it’s good to bump up old topics. It’s all good, Sharknado! :slbg:
If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic