• Active Topics  Back Forward Stop Play

Bleep Test - how did you go from fail to pass

Only use this area to start new topics if you are applying for a post for HMPS or similar.
Moredread
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Bleep Test - how did you go from fail to pass

Post by Moredread » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:07 am

The beep test is pretty easy if you put the work in first.

I've been in a job where I've sat on my backside for 8 to 10 hours a day with very little exercise for nearly 15 years. I have a small holding that keeps me in a little bit of shape but that's it.

About 25 days prior to taking my RAD I tried the beep test and also used the arena we have for schooling horses. I managed 200m before I keeled over on the floor.

In the past I've had to get fit so I went back to what I know works. Bare in mind I work 12 hour days plus have animals to tend to, so if I can manage this then anyone can.

Day 1 interval training. Run/Jog for 1 minute, walk for 1 minute. Rince n repeat til you've covered 1 mile.
Day 2 beep test. Push yourself and don't stop because you missed one beep.
Day 3 interval training. Run/Jog for 70 seconds, walk for 50 seconds. Rince n repeat til you've covered 1 mile.
Day 4 beep test.
Day 5 interval training. 80 seconds / 40 seconds - 1 mile
Day 6 beep test.
Day 7 rest.
Second week as week 1 but keep reducing the walk and increase the run.
Yes you will hurt a bit but you'll soon get over it.
Doing the above got me very fit in a short time and I nailed the beep test without breaking a sweat or getting out of breath.

Rossco
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sacred: 'Dragoon'

Post by Rossco » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:16 pm

I'm 17 stone, 40 years old with a dodgy knee.
I breezed through the fitness test at the RAD.
To be honest if you can't pass the bleep test at level 5.4 then you need to seriously think about making some lifestyle changes before it's too late. Also, As you will be required to do this every year you need to think about whether this is the right career for you. If you can't pass now, how will you pass it in 10 or 15 years?

Hope this isn't taken the wrong way. I say it with love :sllv:

Harper

Post by Harper » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:35 pm

Hi!

I did my RAD 19th of July and passed everything but the bleep test, though I was super close scoring 5.2 which was annoying, but as i'm 41 years old, 6ft tall, weighed 20 stone and the only exercise I did previous to this was to cycle to work and back each day, approx 5miles per day, I was happy i hadnt just collapsed after the 1st minute.

I got my results email along with a fitness plan, which i started trying to follow, but circumstances made it difficult to maintain at home so I took the plunge and joined a local gym about a month ago.

I started going 5 times a week for an hour, doing some cardio, 10-15 mins on crosstrainer or rowing machine usually, and then mostly general weight training.

I redid my fitness test 7th September and passed, I found it much easier to do the bleep test especially, and now i find myself actually enjoying going to the gym and will continue to do so!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic