• Active Topics  Back Forward Stop Play

BLEEP TEST!!

Only use this area to start new topics if you are applying for a post for HMPS or similar.
Hcook1211
Registered Member
Registered Member

BLEEP TEST!!

Post by Hcook1211 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:20 pm

Hello my first post.
I have my assessment day tomorrow in Rugby and I am a nervous wreck! The bleep test is really worrying me I only booked my assessment day four days ago!
Could you tell me how many 15m laps you ran to get to the required level. I am not overweight and I do workouts cardio etc but I am a smoker and it is really worrying me that I won't manage it 😭
Also how bad are the maths and English tests please?
One more question any tips for the scenarios?
Thank you very much

Richy22
Registered Member
Registered Member

Re: BLEEP TEST!!

Post by Richy22 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:35 pm

Good luck on your rad, The bleep test required level is 5.4 which is 3.5 minutes of running, the only lad that failed was very overweight and looked really unfit. The english and maths tests are pretty much the same as the online one's. Reading comprehension etc.. before you go into the sim the centre manager talks to you all and explains everything you need to know so pay attention to what he/she say's... let us all know how you got on....

Paullandolfi
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mood:

Post by Paullandolfi » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:42 pm

Bleep test is fine just dont rush, the tests are pretty common sense. The last bit just think how you would want to be treated and make sure you read the rules fully biggest part is picking up on them breaking the rules. Also watch your tone but all this will be explained

Xombi
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Xombi » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:52 pm

If you're mildly in shape you'll pass the bleep test and fitness, it is the easiest part of the day (unless you're seriously unfit). I nearly tripled the grip requirement, as I come from manual work and lift weights a little, but I'm just a normal in shape guy not a huge muscled bloke, so an average non-physical person should be fine to hit the minimum no problem.

The English is easy - just read carefully. When you have to describe a picture with at least 100 words or whatever it was, be very literal about all the things you can see, so I did it like this...

"There is a cell, and two men are present. One is sat in a chair and is wearing blah blah blah. He could be described as middle aged and has short brown hair etc etc."

Just nice short sentences of literally what I can see in as much points of detail as possible. I ran out of room on the page before I could stop describing what I see.

Maths is just what you did online for your application, but shorter and easier (it seemed). No tips here as you have a calculator.

Scenarios, you will get good info from the instructor of what is expected, just do not miss on picking up on any derogatory comments etc. Don't let them slip away in the conversation. It is against the rules and you should upkeep those policies at all times.

Tiger
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Tiger » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:16 pm

Hcook1211 wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:20 pm
Hello my first post.
I have my assessment day tomorrow in Rugby and I am a nervous wreck! The bleep test is really worrying me I only booked my assessment day four days ago!
Could you tell me how many 15m laps you ran to get to the required level. I am not overweight and I do workouts cardio etc but I am a smoker and it is really worrying me that I won't manage it 😭
Thank you very much

I wound myself up before the test but I passed. I ran off my adrenaline. I'm a smoker. The personal trainer will push you to do it.
:slbg: RAD 2nd Sept
:slyay: RAD results 4th Sept
Now waiting... :slwin:

Vetting form :sltgn: 6th Oct
Submitted 15th Oct :slred:

:slyay: on the vetting train :slcl:

Tiger
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Tiger » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:18 pm

Hcook1211 wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:20 pm
Hello my first post.
Thank you very much

Maths and English are easy. Same as online. They are just checking it was you who did the online tests. And role plays go in confident. Ask questions. Make sure you ask about whatever situation your given. Do not judge the character, be assertive and explore the situation and clarify. These two are key points! X
:slbg: RAD 2nd Sept
:slyay: RAD results 4th Sept
Now waiting... :slwin:

Vetting form :sltgn: 6th Oct
Submitted 15th Oct :slred:

:slyay: on the vetting train :slcl:

mpeng82
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by mpeng82 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:36 pm

I took my rad a few weeks ago and passed it all but the physical was cancelled due to no nurse.

took it today and passed again first time.

so..............

Ignoring physical for a moment the rest is absolutely easy. The maths is so similar to the online test and it just about taking your time.

i am good at maths and finished with half the amount of time left, yet even my 9yearold would be able to do it.

English was just as easy and you just need to take your time. again very similar to online test.

biggest advice........ Read the question before anything, sounds weird as what else whould you do but you'll see what i mean.

the last question is where you can screw it up. not sure if i can give two much away so will tell you what the instructor told the group........

not looking at spelling
not looking for great handwritting

looking for 100 words, grammer and pronunciation.

simulation test, you have 10mins to read profiles. you are then given 2minutes with a specfic profile and you will then go and complete the exercise.

this will happen 3 times. jot down the important bits, so for me it was only three things on each.

i figured you need to remember the rules and policies so i spent the 10mins writing these out in short hand.

in the simulation, breath, take control be assertive BUT show empathy and care when needed.

if a rule or policy is broken, say so, what you will do and recap

ok Physical................

this was my biggest fear too.

i am 5"10 i weigh 15stone 6 and have lost not far off 3stone in 16ish months.

i cycle lots but im awful at running.

firstly the instructors are great and tell them your fears, they will like your honesty.

the order i did it in was:

Weight test - not hard and completed without squessing a ball prior as there was none.
beep test, only two of us doing the physical and two things helped. firstly the other guy was fit so i used him as the pace setter.
you may think that you cant do it part way but look up breathe and focus on the pace setter, you may feel pain in your legs if unfit but think past it, youll no doubt find, start to stage 3 is easy; stage 4 you may feel tired but think - you are passed half way and nearly there. get to 5 and you will only have 4 runs left, yes just four!

the instructor will also motivate you so listen.

other thing is the turn, they have to be clean and try and use alternate leg you start off with, but dont think to much about those and forget to breathe lol

lastly you dont have to put one foot on the line and one behind, you can actually have one foot on the line and one infront :slsh:

after the beep your legs may feel shakey which is normal if not used to jogging for a few minutes. take a seat, shake them gently and rub them and drink some water.

i then had the shield test where best idea i found was keep your brain busy - talk to your instructor or others, failing that just sing in your head. the shield is actually really light!

Agility was last, i think you have 38seconds to complete and told to just jog.
dont touch the cones slow for the turns and everything else will fit in place.

not sure if you will take in same order but please don't worry

Hcook1211
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Hcook1211 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:52 pm

Wow thank you all very much for your advice!
I can not say it has helped my nerves however, I feel a little more at ease knowing what others have experienced. My biggest weakness is nerves and it takes me 5 to get my confidence up so I am hoping the nerves pass when I am there but I am sure they have seen nervous people before!
Running is my biggest nightmare I absolutely hate it haha but I love to win so I have decided to use this love of mine and to in a way think of it as a competition I in know way intend to rush etc as I'm pretty sure I'll collapse haha but just in the back of my head to think like that for a few minutes and hope adrenaline helps too :/
Hopefully all will be well and I'll be back on here tomorrow feeling confident I have completed he RAD day.
Complete career change for me I am a bioscientist but thought for a while about this career but just didn't ever think I'd get through but I thought just go for it :)
Thanks again all

mpeng82
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by mpeng82 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:10 am

good luck for today

Hcook1211
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Hcook1211 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:27 pm

Well finished today and the bleep test was exactly how I dreaded it would be I found it incredibly difficult I tried to stop as I found it unbearable but the man shouted four left, four left so I just ran it wasn't my legs arms anything like that that hurt it was my chest so I think if I didn't smoke it would have been easier but how it made me feel today was awful so I have decided I am giving e-cigs ago. However, passed the health and fitness test. I am pretty confident I have passed the maths and English they were fine.
Not so sure about the scenarios I don't think I was assertive enough but I calmed the situation down I think it will be a close one fingers crossed will hear from them again with good news 😁😁

Peppa
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Peppa » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:44 pm

Well done, fingers crossed you pass

Xombi
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Xombi » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:47 pm

Good stuff! Having the mental strength to just push through your mental and physical barriers is a good quality to have.

If I bought an incredibly expensive packet of mints that had a picture of a diseased lung on it, and a warning that they may cause a slow and painful death, would you want one? Well we know the answer and mints taste better than fags. Literally no point to it other than shorten your life and waste money. It's a mugs game, no winners other than the company selling them to you.

I say this as a previously heavy smoker. One day I just though 'that's it, I ain't wasting no more days of my life or money from my pocket!' Never smoked one again, and being a person who just proved you can push yourself to do something when your body may be trying to make you do the opposite shows you could do the same.

The bleep test is not demanding. You said yourself muscle wise you weren't fatiguing, so your lungs are telling you something is wrong.

Oh, and I felt like I absolutely fluffed the scenarios. In one of them I completely went blank and there was a period of silence (very awkward). Because the whole thing wasn't natural I wasn't really 'with it', but I came away with scores that really surprised me. I am sure you did fine as long as you picked up on things that were against policy or rules, and if you calmed the situation down then you probably did great.

Good luck and let us know.

Hcook1211
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Hcook1211 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:28 pm

Could I ask if anybody has found out before the 5-10 days that they are going onto vetting? Inpatient already 😂

Karen47
Executive Officer
Executive Officer
Mood:

Post by Karen47 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:34 pm

It was 11 days before I heard anything after my pass email. To be honest, you'd best learn to be very patient, when you get into vetting (which might take a few weeks) you then could be in vetting anything from 4-20 weeks. :slbg:
RAD 13th June. Pass result 14th June :slyay: . Merit listed 20th June. Applied 2nd establishment 24th June, POST test passed 26th June. Conditional offer 11th July. Accepted & Vetting forms back 12th July :sloo: now waiting :slzi:

Hcook1211
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Hcook1211 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:40 pm

Haha I am awful I love to know what's going on 😂 Vetting is going to be a nightmare haha

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic