• Active Topics  Back Forward Stop Play
five years ago Benchmarking came in which said prisons could run with a lot less staff, VEDS was born and thousands of highly experienced prison officers were paid off handsomely to leave early.
This gave HMP the prisons with a lot less staff that they wanted and since then? Well since then we have RECORD NUMBERS of brand new prison officers with 0 experience whatever. Far better than the hugely experienced prison officers who were paid handsomely to leave.
Join falkor, manc-apollo and npatchet2000, Twisties and Moredread for the BIG DISCUSSION on all this and more, 2000hrs Wednesday night

mChat Wednesday night 2000 :slhehe:

Black coffee :mug: provided free

Familiarsation day question

Only use this area to start new topics if you are applying for a post for HMPS or similar.
Charlieharz
Rookie Member

Familiarsation day question

Post by Charlieharz » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:27 am

Hello all

I'm right at the start of my application process and have my Familiarsation day on in HMP Wayland next week. My question is. If I wanted a position at HMP Norwich dose it matter where I have my Familiarsation day?

Burtonboy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Familiarsation day question

Post by Burtonboy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:17 pm

From what I understand if you’ve applied to a cluster, you’ll get a familiarisation day at one of them, that doesn’t mean that’s where you will get offered a place though.

It’s more to just to give you an insight into what to expect.

Just bear in mind that although you want to go to Norwich, doesn’t mean that’s where you’ll get offered a job, it could be anyone of the cluster.

Adzm

Post by Adzm » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:52 pm

I applied for an establishment and got put on the waiting list for 12 months. I didn’t get offered any other of my 3 choices.
I applied separately for them as they were recruiting online.
I’ve now had a familiarisation day and now waiting... been waiting for 6 days for a response...?? :slzi:

Elkins17
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by Elkins17 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:11 pm

When I went for my familiarisation day 2 people got turned away because it wasn’t the prison they would be working at....
14/10/2017- Applied
16/10/2017- Passed POST
24/11/2017- Familiarisation Day
3/12/2017-RAD
4/12/2017 PASSED RAD :slyay:
5/12/2017 Conditional offer accepted!
6/12/17 OH assist sent
6/12/2017 all aboard the vetting train
7/12/2017 OH assist cleared

SWM5436
Elite Member
Elite Member
Mood:

Post by SWM5436 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:25 pm

The visit should be at the establishment you want to work in, I have visited 2 different establishments and other than similar shift patterns they are 2 very different set ups, 1 was a cramped Victorian jail with very little space whilst the other is a jail in the middle of no where with plenty of outside space and less compact.
It’s too bad that stupidity isn’t painful. Ignorance is one thing, but our society thrives increasingly on stupidity

Start of vetting to the call 17 weeks 2 days.

Uphill
Registered Member
Registered Member
Alignment: 'Thunder'

Post by Uphill » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:05 pm

I did my POST, following day my RAD, got a Conditional Offer and am currently on vetting train....

How do you go about doing your Familiarisation day?
Their poor attitude really says more about them than even their lack of basic literacy.

JOCKO
Rookie Member
Alignment: 'Shadow'

Post by JOCKO » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:14 pm

The familiarisation day is normally before you do the RAD, not all prisons offer a tour of the establishment, some insist you visit the establishment before they offer you the chance to book the RAD. Contact the recruitment team at your establishment and ask if you can get a tour prior to starting.

SWM5436
Elite Member
Elite Member
Mood:

Post by SWM5436 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:26 pm

If you started the process post NOMS, after the change to HMPPS then when you complete the post the next part was the fam visit before you were allowed to book your RAD. Some establishments offer it to you following your clearance being done if you were on the old process.

I was lucky enough to have 2, first was a group visit and the 1 yesterday was one on one. If you get a chance definitely do it, if you haven’t contact your establishment and speak to your Poelt mentor and see if you can get on one.
Last edited by SWM5436 on Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It’s too bad that stupidity isn’t painful. Ignorance is one thing, but our society thrives increasingly on stupidity

Burtonboy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Burtonboy » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:50 pm

SWM5436 wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:26 pm
If you started the process post NOMS, after the change to HMPPS then when you complete the post the next part was the fam visit before you were allowed to book your RAD. Some establishments offer it to you following your clearance being done if you were on the old process.

I was lucky enormously there to have 2, first was a group visit and the 1 yesterday was one on one. If you get a chance definitely do it, if you haven’t contact your establishment and speak to your Poelt mentor and see if you can get on one.
That’s not always the case, I applied since it became HMPPS, and have never been offered a familiarisation visit, I didn’t need to do one before my Rad, I didn’t even know I could go on one before I went on my Rad, I spoke to the establishment after doing my rad and they only do familiarisation visits after you get a conditional offer, I’m currently still on the merit list.

Twisties
Official Member
Official Member
Mood:

Post by Twisties » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:34 pm

Burtonboy wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:50 pm
SWM5436 wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:26 pm

I was lucky enormously there to have 2, first was a group visit and the 1 yesterday was one on one. If you get a chance definitely do it, if you haven’t contact your establishment and speak to your Poelt mentor and see if you can get on one.
That’s not always the case, I applied since it became HMPPS, and have never been offered a familiarisation visit, I didn’t need to do one before my Rad, I didn’t even know I could go on one before I went on my Rad, I spoke to the establishment after doing my rad and they only do familiarisation visits after you get a conditional offer, I’m currently still on the merit list.
My establishment is in the Thames Valley Cluster and I'm currently waiting on the call. My establishment says once I have had the call then I can book a Familiarisation tour and that I need to book it online, there is no visible link for this yet, so guess it will appear after the call?
RAD - 03/11
Vetting - 05/11
OH Assist - 06/11
Waiting Call - 01/12
The Call - 04/12
Familiarisation Tour - 08/12
POELT - 19/03 Newbold Revel

Karen47
Counsellor
Counsellor
Mood:

Post by Karen47 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:11 pm

It varies from prison to prison by the looks of it, some do them frequently even before RAD, which is actually a good idea, if it's not for you, saves you the trouble of a RAD day. I only got invited to a familiarisation Day after I'd had the call & had my start date.
RAD 13/06. Pass result 14/06 :slyay: . Merit listed 20/06. Applied 2nd establishment 24/06, POST test passed 26/06. Conditional offer 11/07. Vetting starts 12/07. Passed vetting 30/10. Poelt 08/01 :slyay:

SWM5436
Elite Member
Elite Member
Mood:

Post by SWM5436 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:23 pm

Yeah it does Karen and that's why I said was, it now depends on your establishment.

I was supposed to book a Familiarisation visit before I booked my RAD but as I completed the POST the same night I came back from the military fam visit they marked me as attending and I got to book my RAD straight away.

When I was given a verbal offer the prison got in touch and asked if I wanted to come and then realised I had already had mine and said I didn't need to come but I jumped at the chance.

So it looks like they are now waiting for people's clearance to come through before offering you a visit, which woukd make sense.

Thoroughly enjoyed the second one and now can't wait to start working there.

Karen47
Counsellor
Counsellor
Mood:

Post by Karen47 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:10 pm

I must admit I was really nervous, after handing notice in was a bit eeeek what have I Done?
After familiarisation day, I felt so relieved, left there thinking 'I want to go back!' :slbg:
RAD 13/06. Pass result 14/06 :slyay: . Merit listed 20/06. Applied 2nd establishment 24/06, POST test passed 26/06. Conditional offer 11/07. Vetting starts 12/07. Passed vetting 30/10. Poelt 08/01 :slyay:

Jay67
Official Member
Official Member
Alignment: 'Shadow'
Mood:

Post by Jay67 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:14 pm

Hi all,
I haven't had a familiarisation day and it hasn't been mentioned I have been on vetting train for 5 weeks. Should I call my establishment? Or wait for someone to contact me?
26/10 RAD
27/10 RAD PASSED
30/10 Conditional Offer
1/11 Vetting docs submitted
13/11 OH Assist Questionnaire submitted
12/12 Higher checks and/or OH assist outstanding

Huntsman22
Committee Member
Committee Member
Mood:

Post by Huntsman22 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:18 pm

I’d wait for someone to contact you Jay - I never got offered one until after my vetting had completed
‘But if you never try, you’ll never know’

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic