• Active Topics  Back Forward Stop Play
five years ago Benchmarking came in which said prisons could run with a lot less staff, VEDS was born and thousands of highly experienced prison officers were paid off handsomely to leave early.
This gave HMP the prisons with a lot less staff that they wanted and since then? Well since then we have RECORD NUMBERS of brand new prison officers with 0 experience whatever. Far better than the hugely experienced prison officers who were paid handsomely to leave.
Join falkor, manc-apollo and npatchet2000, Twisties and Moredread for the BIG DISCUSSION on all this and more, 2000hrs Wednesday night

mChat Wednesday night 2000 :slhehe:

Black coffee :mug: provided free

General queries after conditional offer

Only use this area to start new topics if you are applying for a post for HMPS or similar.
thunderchild
Official Member
Official Member
Alignment: 'Thunder'
Mood:

General queries after conditional offer

Post by thunderchild » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:05 am

Good morning all!

I am pleased to announce that I have been offered a conditional place at me second choice prison.

But......

My second choice is 40 miles from home, this is not much of an issue as I already work opposite this prison and I actually rather enjoy the drive. It's more the financial aspect of the commute. I do a 5 day week at the moment and was wondering if anyone knows if most establishments offer the possibility of doing long days ONLY? Long days would make this option more viable for me and would mean I won't have to work lots of extra hours to break even (as I am doing at the moment). I think the pay is about 1k more per annum than my current position.

My first choice, does have the add on for wages, I think about 5k more than my second choice, it's also 26 miles from home but is through country A and B roads as opposed to my second choice which is a smooth motorway journey.

I haven't accepted this offer yet as I want to make the RIGHT choice for me, I also understand there's no going back once you have accepted the offer.

I am scared that if I wait it out for my first choice, I might not ever make it off the dreaded merit list.

Just trying to weight up the pros and cons, getting another perspective is also useful. Any thoughts or advice would be kindly accepted :slbg:
15/11/17 - RAD
16/11/17 - Passed RAD notification
17/11/17 - Merit listed
18/11/17 - Second establishment applied for
08/12/17 - Conditional offer
10/12/17 - VETTING
15/12/17 - OH clearance

Burtonboy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: General queries after conditional offer

Post by Burtonboy » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:14 am

I’m pretty sure you’ll just go on the rota same as everyone else, a few have posted about working flexi time but have been refused due to staffing levels. I think you’ll face the same issue.

Personally I’d wait for your first choice, it’s closer and offers better pay.

Karen47
Counsellor
Counsellor
Mood:

Post by Karen47 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:44 am

I think only you can make this decision, the fact you're asking for advice makes me think you're quite unsure of this. It's a huge decision to make and you're right to be thinking about it.
I know my prison says that the rotas are written up in advance & that you can't request 'set pattern' though you can ask colleagues to swap.
The financial implications of course only you know, but that is quite a difference in pay. I have read that you can't request a transfer until after 1 yr in the job & then obviously only if a place becomes available. My personal opinion is that I'd wait for my 1st choice. I know 2nd choice is a 'foot in the door' but if it does cause issues, it's a 'foot in the door' for a year, could you cope with That?
I always say when conflicted, make a list of pros & cons, if the cons outweigh the pros, then maybe it's not right. All the best whatever you decide.
RAD 13/06. Pass result 14/06 :slyay: . Merit listed 20/06. Applied 2nd establishment 24/06, POST test passed 26/06. Conditional offer 11/07. Vetting starts 12/07. Passed vetting 30/10. Poelt 08/01 :slyay:

npatchett2000
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by npatchett2000 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:13 am

I agree with Karen on this I think the best think you can do is wait it out for your first choice looking at your timeline your only 6 weeks since passing RAD and your fitness test is valid for a year so you have got plenty of time for you to get an offer from your first choice. But it's like everyone says only you can make that choice I don't know what is going on in your private life and if you are prepared to stay I your current job that long etc at the end of the day yes it is a foot in the door but is it worth loosing the 5k allowance just to start earlier at somewhere further away that's gonna cost you a lot more in the long run in fuel and wear and tear in your car for less in return

HTH

Patch

thunderchild
Official Member
Official Member
Mood:

Post by thunderchild » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:38 am

I've actually been offered a job nearer to home which I'm thinking of taking up on the interim whilst waiting for a conditional offer from my first choice.

I think you guys are probably right, it's going to feel rubbish clicking the decline button, but I guess I just have to suck it up and face that I could be waiting a while for my first choice.

Thank you for your wise words, it's always good to get another view on a situation.
15/11/17 - RAD
17/11/17 - Merit listed
10/12/17 - VETTING
15/12/17 - OH clearance

K123
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by K123 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:07 pm

I was in the same boat as you. I got offered my 2nd choice. I thought it through. Rang SS and explained, so
Back on the merit list. 4 weeks later my 1st choice came
Through. It’s worth the wait
22nd April - RAD
28th April - RAD results passed/OH Assist Returned
12th May - Merit Listed
1st August - Conditional Offer/Submitted Vetting

24th November - Got the call :slyay:
8th January - Start Date

thunderchild
Official Member
Official Member
Mood:

Post by thunderchild » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:49 am

After much consideration, I have decided to go with my second choice.

I weighed up all the pros and cons and practicalities of travelling to each. Whilst my second choice is further away, it is far more accessible. If there is bad weather, or my car breaks down I know I will be able to get to this destination far easier than a prison in a VERY much rural area. There's no trains to my first choice and I know for a fact those country roads aren't gritted in the winter. I feel much safer on the motorway and the fuel cost of driving an extra 15 miles on straight roads really won't be much different. Also, there is a motorway route AND a rural route to my second choice, there is only once route to and from my first. If something happens to or from my first choice, I won't be able to re-route.

As I said before, I do the distance each day so I don't mind keeping that up. I have also made an acquaintance who works at my second choice, the over-time is plenty!

I also sat down and did a few sums, the pay isn't much more at my first choice than second, after taxes and pensions the difference is really not as much as I thought it would be.

Vetting forms are now sent, I had a real tough time applying my work history as it kept rejecting it. I don't think it liked the way it was laid out. I have had more than one job at a time over the years and I think it confused the system. It would only send the information containing the three main jobs and wouldn't allow me to put any others, or at least without rejecting my application. I have supplemented my application with an e-mail to them with the information of my other jobs over the five year period. Hopefully this will be OK.
15/11/17 - RAD
17/11/17 - Merit listed
10/12/17 - VETTING
15/12/17 - OH clearance

SWM5436
Elite Member
Elite Member
Mood:

Post by SWM5436 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:03 am

Good luck to you, hope it all works out well for you. I will be driving a little under 40 miles each way to my establishment (unless the wife gets her way and buys a new house, then closer to 50) on a good run I got from the prison to my house in just under an hour.

I enjoy the time in the car after work as it allows me time to process anything and leave it behind for when I walk through the door to my family.
It’s too bad that stupidity isn’t painful. Ignorance is one thing, but our society thrives increasingly on stupidity

Start of vetting to the call 17 weeks 2 days.

thunderchild
Official Member
Official Member
Mood:

Post by thunderchild » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:16 am

This is exactly how I use the time in my car at the moment.

I usually miss most of the traffic each way and looking at some of the shift patterns, I probably will in the Prison Service too.

I'm quite excited as I'll now be working in a Cat B rather than a C :slcl:

Here's to hoping the vetting runs smoothly! Just gonna sit back and have a cup of tea now.
15/11/17 - RAD
17/11/17 - Merit listed
10/12/17 - VETTING
15/12/17 - OH clearance

freak
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by freak » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:03 pm

Doing all long shifts is called condense hours your only allowed to apply for this after your probation period .
Same as a transfer both are hard to get.
I had the same choice as you to make and went for the quick option thinking I would be able to transfer once in.
I have permission from my establishment to go but my local is not taking any transfers they strangely would rather take newbies
We can do pp at any jail in fact I only do pp at other jails it's feels more like a change that way
The way recruitment is now you shouldn't wait much longer for your 1st choice .
I think you have made the right choice waiting for 1st choice wish I had.
Best of luck
Y N W A

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic