• Active Topics  Back Forward Stop Play
five years ago Benchmarking came in which said prisons could run with a lot less staff, VEDS was born and thousands of highly experienced prison officers were paid off handsomely to leave early.
This gave HMP the prisons with a lot less staff that they wanted and since then? Well since then we have RECORD NUMBERS of brand new prison officers with 0 experience whatever. Far better than the hugely experienced prison officers who were paid handsomely to leave.
Join falkor, manc-apollo and npatchet2000, Twisties and Moredread for the BIG DISCUSSION on all this and more, 2000hrs Wednesday night

mChat Wednesday night 2000 :slhehe:

Black coffee :mug: provided free

Applying with a Criminal Record. Some advice required please

Only use this area to start new topics if you are applying for a post for HMPS or similar.
mrg

Applying with a Criminal Record. Some advice required please

Post by mrg » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:17 pm

I've been considering applying for a position as a prison officer for some time, and now I feel I am ready to apply. Before I apply though I have some questions regarding my history that I need to clarify before completing the application. I thought this would be the best place to ask.

The first question is relating to criminal history. I do have a criminal record, and would like to ask whether this has any effect on the application if I declare it. I've served time in prison once for a computer hacking related crime between 2012 - 2013. I received a 32 month sentence and served 12. I am currently on probation until November, but have had no issues at all with probation. I only mention this because I feel it's relevant.

Prior to that sentence I haven't been in trouble with the law for many years and my other convictions would have been spent. One was a caution for assault when I was 15 - a playground fight with a friend. Another was a fine for growing 2 cannabis plants on my window ledge when I was 18 and another fine for theft from a shop when I was 18. I'm now 30, and up until the computer hacking offence I hadn't been in trouble.

I think that's the criminal history out of the way.

Next is medical history. July last year I had Testicle Cancer. I was treated for this, and I'm now all clear. I also have Aspergers syndrome, although it's not really an issue in my life. I did have depression and anxiety for a long time which included self harm, but this was down to issues relating to undiagnosed Aspergers. All that is now in the past.

On the positive side of things though I studied Software Engineering at University, and have other accreditations to my name that could be a plus, although I am not sure how the application process actually works so I don't know if the criminal/medical history would write me off.

As you can see, I have a messy history. Is it really worth me applying?

Why do I want to work in a prison some may be asking. Well, I spent a number years as a youth worker when I was 17 - 21, working with vulnerable young adults. I really enjoyed that. Having spent time in prison I met a number of officers, some who were so disrespectful and unhelpful, but most were amazing people who offered a lot of help and support to me. And I admired them for that. They wasn't just there to do their job and pay the mortgage, but they were there to make a difference. I guess that's what I'd like to do, to make a difference and to be supportive rather than assertive and dominant (although I'm very much aware the job does entail assertiveness and dominance) when required.

But, I honestly feel I'm not going to make it through the application processes. Could I be trusted with sensitive data, considering my offence was related to stealing sensitive data. Or, do employers (the Government in this case) favour honesty?

Does anyone have any personal experience? Or know any officers who have had criminal records or spent time in prison?

Any information would be excellent. I'm currently siding with the outcome of never being able to work in a prison.

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Shade'

Re: Applying with a Criminal Record. Some advice required pl

Post by falkor » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:16 am

I think you're right - check out http://www.prisonofficer.org.uk/viewtop ... =25&t=2476

Apart from that there is the whole thing with "there were better candidates applying for the job on the same day" (I was told that when I applied for a job!)

When you put your application in, inevitably your application will be compared to the other applications going in at the same time

interestingly 2 years ago Ken Clark set out to amend the Rehabilation of Offenders Act 1974 However, the proposed rules do not apply to those working with children, vulnerable adults or in other sensitive positions which require a formal background check from the Criminal Records Bureau. So that could be a red herring in this case not sure

Can anyone else give advice to Mr G?? :D

Kangaroo
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Applying with a Criminal Record. Some advice required please

Post by Kangaroo » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:27 pm

[url]viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13152/url] This is an old thread but I just came across it at the bottom of the 'debate' going on the criminal record thread.

Do you think thus guy was genuine or on a wind up?

Huntsman22
Committee Member
Committee Member
Mood:

Post by Huntsman22 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:42 pm

If this was genuine he was asking a very daft question - if he’s served 12 months inside he will definitely not get into the prison service!! :slsh2:
‘But if you never try, you’ll never know’

Kangaroo
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kangaroo » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:46 pm

It just reminded me of the other thread. Bit if he was serious he would know parts of the job before he started :slbg: is that fast tracking?

Huntsman22
Committee Member
Committee Member
Mood:

Post by Huntsman22 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:48 pm

I know I hope this career criminal doesn’t end up being my SO as he already knew the ins and outs of the job haha!

Kangaroo
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kangaroo » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:52 pm

Nothing would surprise me anymore

Huntsman22
Committee Member
Committee Member
Mood:

Post by Huntsman22 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:49 pm

:slag:

SgtBush
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by SgtBush » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:44 am

I read the initial post ....

And just Said

WOW!

Huntsman22
Committee Member
Committee Member
Mood:

Post by Huntsman22 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:34 pm

:up:

Kangaroo
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kangaroo » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:26 pm

It made me chuckle either way

John75
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by John75 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:34 pm

If this is not a wind up I feel sorry for SSL and I bet that’s not been said much before lol

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic