• Active Topics  Back Forward Stop Play

Expenses during POELT.

Only use this area to start new topics if you are applying for a post for HMPS or similar.
lillmatty90
Rookie Member
Mood:

Expenses during POELT.

Post by lillmatty90 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:51 am

Hi all,

I'm soon to be starting my POELT training in Lewes. I does anyone who has already completed this and claimed expenses back know the ins and outs for me or are able to give me a brief outlook.
I'm travelling 266 miles to and from to attend and hoping I don't have to outlay it all until I return to my prison.

SgtBush
Gold Committee Member
Gold Committee Member

Re: Expenses during POELT.

Post by SgtBush » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:20 pm

Are you at newbold revel or in a hotel?

If newbold you can claim mileage from home to nb and from nb to home once per week
If your in a hotel you can claim £25day plus travel.
If your travels everyday its milage to and from hme plus daily sustenance
Zulu's at dawn is for prison officers only. Pm me for verification process

If you know you know
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by If you know you know » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:33 pm

On a side note. I was offered a hire car today to get me from home to POELT for 10 weeks. Surely that's more than expenses would be for a weekly return.

hmmmreally
Executive Member
Executive Member
Class: 'Paladin'
Alignment: 'Thunder'

Post by hmmmreally » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:35 pm

make sure you minus your travel to establishment for example.

swinfen to home 23 miles home to newbold 63 so miles i can claim would be 40 miles

Jolly green
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by Jolly green » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:15 pm

I've been sorted with a hotel (with breakfast) and a hire car for travel. If we can't £25 for expensive how and when would that be refunded back to me?
Application 09/04/17
Post 19/04/17
RAD 03/05/17
RAD results 05/05/17
Merit listed 10/05/17 @ 1415hrs
Conditional offer 10/05/17 @ 2347hrs
Vetted started 11/05/17
Vetting completed 19/06/17
Got the Call 28/06/17
Poelt 31/07/17
Went live 15/10/17

Lagertha
Gold Committee Member
Gold Committee Member
Mood:

Post by Lagertha » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:28 pm

lillmatty90 wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:51 am
Hi all,

I'm soon to be starting my POELT training in Lewes. I does anyone who has already completed this and claimed expenses back know the ins and outs for me or are able to give me a brief outlook.
I'm travelling 266 miles to and from to attend and hoping I don't have to outlay it all until I return to my prison.
You'll be put onto a specific system (I'm not naming it) using your employee number. You'll log in there weekly and claim your allowances. If food is all included in your residential you'll claim £5.00 per night. If you have to source your own lunch and dinner - you'll claim the £25.00 per night. You'll claim £0.26 per mile fuel allowance because once the journey goes over 100 miles - it doesn't qualify for the 45p per mile.

JolllyGreen These expenses are normally paid to you within 4 days of claim. 👍

Also - travel time and distance to training venue is worked out by them on the RAC website.
like SgtBush says you claim mileage for one journey there and one journey back each week.

Find your travel time out, subtract your normal travel time and you'll put that through as paid hours to your people hub at establishment, not through the system you'll be put onto. I'm not clear on whether this is paid to you as payment or TOIL.
HTH. 😊
Applied 16/04/2017, passed RAD 16/05, submitted vetting 18/05, got the call 07/07, Contract received and role accepted 18/07, familiarisation visit 19/07, induction week 24/07, POELT Sunningdale 31/07, Newbold 31/07 night, thanks 'ss' :slcoo:

CrazyParsnip
Official Member
Official Member
Mood:

Post by CrazyParsnip » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:40 pm

So if you have to travel daily to POELT you get paid your travel time minus the time it would take you to get to your establishment?
Applied - 30/5, Fam' Day - 20/6, RAD - 21/6, Results - 22/6, Re-sit - 7/7, Results - 18/7, Conditional offer - 25/7, Vetting.............

NeedToKnowBasis
Elite Member
Elite Member
Alignment: 'Shadow'
Sacred: 'Hemlock'
Mood:

Post by NeedToKnowBasis » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:40 am

hmmmreally wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:35 pm
make sure you minus your travel to establishment for example.

swinfen to home 23 miles home to newbold 63 so miles i can claim would be 40 miles
The requirement to deduct your normal Home to Work mileage was removed in 2004. You do not have to deduct this. Your claim should be for 63 miles. I would challenge your establishment over this as they are wrong.

If you have known expenses, you can also claim them in advance by about a week.

If you are claiming the lower mileage rate, keep a hardcopy of all your claims. At the end of the year, contact HMRC and get a form to claim back the tax on this lower rate. 45p is the HMRC rate for mileage, technically, the lower rate is the Prison Service's rate and therefore you can get most of the difference back... but no-one will tell you this (until now!). It's a pain and almost no-one knows or does it... good news for the Government! :slno:

If you are in a hotel and claim the Overnight Subsistence of £25, you cannot claim the mileage between the hotel and your training venue as it's already included in the £25.

If you have a hire car, then remember that you can only use it to get to and from your training venue. If you use it to nip to the shop, you are committing a disciplinary offence. You will also not be insured to drive the vehicle should you get pulled over.

Your establishment are the ones that authorise and approve your claims. Check with them what they say you can claim.

A forum search will throw up all the info you need on this subject.

NTKB :slda:
If you post on a public forum, asking for opinions, I may give mine - I don't care if you don't like what I post... I don't care what you think about me... it simply isn't important!

RelaxedRon
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by RelaxedRon » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:20 pm

I have a few questions on this but they would easily point out which POELT etc I am on....dammit. Will have to wait till Monday when there...

Pointless post Haha
See those two houses over there.
Mines the one in the middle.

SgtBush
Gold Committee Member
Gold Committee Member

Post by SgtBush » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:25 pm

IMPORTANT INFO

You need to have business insurance on your car to claim.mileage otherwise your making a false declaration

Andy888
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Andy888 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:48 pm

Yep, a lot of our group are "irritated" at the business in insurance issue SgtBush!. And rightfully so when some has been quoted piss taking sums when its only needed for 10 weeks.

On the plus side, unless I've missed it mentioned, you can apparently also claim travel time as TOIL for the duration of POELT college I'm told regardless on travel method used. But they will use the standard road travel method to calculate it. For me, that could be 50 hours TOIL over the 10 weeks if I claim it coming back and to at weekends. But overclaim and your in the shit for a fraudulent claim as with any expenses claim you can make for POELT college.

Lagertha
Gold Committee Member
Gold Committee Member
Mood:

Post by Lagertha » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:06 pm

Thanks for pointing out the bit about keeping hard copies and claiming back the tax NTKB, I'd never have thought of that!! 😎 also on the 2004 thing - didn't know that either! Really helpful, thanks again!
Applied 16/04/2017, passed RAD 16/05, submitted vetting 18/05, got the call 07/07, Contract received and role accepted 18/07, familiarisation visit 19/07, induction week 24/07, POELT Sunningdale 31/07, Newbold 31/07 night, thanks 'ss' :slcoo:

SgtBush
Gold Committee Member
Gold Committee Member

Post by SgtBush » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:43 pm

You'll always use business insurance.
Going for a 10 hour bedwatch on pp for example.
My business insurance only put £20 on the bill.
Make sure the insurance company know your a prison officer or go thru the poa website to Arriva. Special rates

Richie_Roller
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Richie_Roller » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:40 pm

The best part about training is the expenses.

lillmatty90
Rookie Member
Mood:

Post by lillmatty90 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:13 pm

Thanks everyone this has been really helpful. I actually start Week 1 on Monday, I'm a mixed bag between nerves and excited.
Wish me luck!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic