• Active Topics  Back Forward Stop Play
five years ago Benchmarking came in which said prisons could run with a lot less staff, VEDS was born and thousands of highly experienced prison officers were paid off handsomely to leave early.
This gave HMP the prisons with a lot less staff that they wanted and since then? Well since then we have RECORD NUMBERS of brand new prison officers with 0 experience whatever. Far better than the hugely experienced prison officers who were paid handsomely to leave.
Join falkor, manc-apollo and npatchet2000, Twisties and Moredread for the BIG DISCUSSION on all this and more, 2000hrs Wednesday night

mChat Wednesday night 2000 :slhehe:

Black coffee :mug: provided free

Expenses - Need the facts.

Only use this area to start new topics if you are applying for a post for HMPS or similar.
Xombi
Official Member
Official Member

Expenses - Need the facts.

Post by Xombi » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:00 pm

I understand there are several threads discussing this, but I have used the search function and unless I am overlooking it I cannot find an answer regarding bridge tolls expenses.

For my POELT I will be commuting from Newport to Leyhill, Gloucester. In October am being made redundant 3 days before I am due to start with HMPS, so as it works out well I took that date, as the only other date on offer was a more convenient location for POELT in Cardiff, but a month later. Obviously that's a month of no money eating in to my much needed payout.

So, all that useless information aside - can I claim the Severn bridge toll as it will cost me £100+ a month? I plan on claiming mileage, and I have read they expect business insurance. Is this the case, as if you're fully comprehensive and insured to commute in your vehicle I don't see where business insurance comes into play as you're not driving in working hours, only commuting to your work location.

Any POELTs or POs here who are in the know with actual facts and not just speculation?

Lthenewbie
Committee Member
Committee Member
Mood:

Re: Expenses - Need the facts.

Post by Lthenewbie » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:10 pm

I thought the same regarding insurance as if you have commuting you'd be covered to travel

manc-apollo
Navigator
Navigator
Class: 'Chaos Warrior'

Post by manc-apollo » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:19 pm

Anyone whose job demands they drive their own car for the purposes of their work will need to pay for business car insurance. ... Business car insurance can cover a wide range of uses, such as travelling between different work locations, visiting customers or driving around other employees. You need business insurance if you are claiming mileage.

manc-apollo
Navigator
Navigator

Post by manc-apollo » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:21 pm

Here are the basic classes:

Social, domestic and pleasure: This covers normal day-to-day driving – such as shopping, visiting friends and going on day trips, but it doesn’t include commuting

Social and commuting: If you commute you’ll be regularly driving at peak times which carry a greater risk. Even something as simple as driving your car to the train station or dropping someone off at work counts

Business Class 1: You use your car to drive to places for work – for example, such as switching between sites. It’s not the primary use of the car, but nevertheless, requires a slightly higher level of cover

Business Class 2: Much the same as Class 1 – but covers you, the policy holder and a named driver

Business Class 3:
For someone who is really racking up the miles – such as a travelling salesman

Commercial:
This covers cars which are primarily used for business, such as if you’re a driving instructor using your own car to give lessons, or a taxi driver.

Lthenewbie
Committee Member
Committee Member
Mood:

Post by Lthenewbie » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:23 pm

It has nothing to do with claiming mileage you can claim mileage back for a rad without business insurance I was told ... the reason they want you to have business insurance is so your covered if you need to drive other employees to places and they cannot provide a car at the time

Xombi
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Xombi » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:26 pm

Feels like a con, but that's insurance for you. Travelling to a site for 10 weeks is my single place of work until my location perm changes. That feels like it should be under commuting, where as dropping someone off to work sound more like business use, as they aren't the insurer of the vehicle.

What about the bridge toll? If this is not a claimable expense also, then I think I'll need to give the calculator a bash and maybe waiting a month is better...

manc-apollo
Navigator
Navigator

Post by manc-apollo » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:28 pm

You will need to speak with your establishment in regards of the toll. I would think that any added expense due to there choice of satalite training centre concerned should be eligable for claiming.

manc-apollo
Navigator
Navigator

Post by manc-apollo » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:29 pm

You cant claim mileage for anywhere unless you have business insurance! You are claim you have used your car to get you somewhere for business!

manc-apollo
Navigator
Navigator

Post by manc-apollo » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:30 pm

When you claim your mileage back on SOP it actually asks you if you have business insurance.

Xombi
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Xombi » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:54 pm

OK. Thank you for replying. I'll make some calls tomorrow and find out about the bridge toll.

However, as I am luckily still in my 14 day cooling off period from taking out this years car insurance, I called and upgraded to Business cover for only an extra £19 over the whole year. Well worth it.

SgtBush
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by SgtBush » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:38 am

You need business insurance.
Tolls are claimable

Lthenewbie
Committee Member
Committee Member
Mood:

Post by Lthenewbie » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:13 am

Do u need to call insurance companies to add business insurance because even when selected on their websites it doesnt mention anything on the docs about being covered for business when getting quotes

Saxon79
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Saxon79 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:27 am

So you can't claim mileage expenses unless you have business insurance? So I can't claim mileage when I start POELT even though I'm commuting everyday and it's not my home establishment?
It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man. Psalm 118:8

YNWA
Banned Member

Post by YNWA » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:58 am

You can claim what you want like anything in life. Get caught in an audit and face the consequences though !!!
You need business insurance as you are not traveling to 1 permanent place of work. That would be your establishment. But your traveling to poelt elsewhere
Technically after poelt you wouldn't need it as your travelling to 1 place of work but even then you shouldn't car share as this comes under business use
Also without it I've read you wouldn't be allowed to do PP bed watch (think this is sitting in hospital with prisoners) as again you are using your own vechicle to go and work in a place other than your establishment and claiming milage too
👌👌JTF96👌👌

SgtBush
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by SgtBush » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:15 am

Stop mixing the facts.
YOU NEED BUSINESS INSURANCE
Its statedclearly in the PSI that covers expenses.
It only cost me £20 extra per year.

You may travel to other establishments on detached duty or travel as a tornado team or simply go do a bed watch...
You need it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic