• Active Topics  Back Forward Stop Play

Bleep Test - how did you go from fail to pass

Only use this area to start new topics if you are applying for a post for HMPS or similar.
mpeng82
Registered Member
Registered Member

Bleep Test - how did you go from fail to pass

Post by mpeng82 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:57 pm

Hi All,

i have read many posts about the fitness test but one thing i would like to know is the various ways people have gone from faiing the bleep test to passing.

What level did you get to on the first attempt
What did you do inbetween retake
How long was this over
any hints and tips you can give

ive passed everything else on RAD but due to the nirse breaking her hand the fitness element was cancelled.

Being honest i was glad (sounds awful)as i applied on the wednesday and attended the RAD on the sunday in Manchester so totally inprepared as thought the process would be longer and i know im not phusically ready.

Why attend im sure you are thinking, get fit then apply.........

Prison Officer is sometging ive been interested in for many years but was unable to think of looking into due to family commitments, and i believe that the years spend in the industry currently in has helped me passs the simulation tests.

i know a lot of threads people have said its easy but in reality only 70% pass and i dont want to be in that 30%

unfortunatly inwork 12hr days in a contact centre so the jov is mainly sitting, ive managed to book my fitness in for 10days time and although i wish for miracles i know they dont exist.

Sorry for the long post, thanks for reading and look forward to the advice and experience from you all :)

Matt

Daveyjones
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Bleep Test - how did you go from fail to pass

Post by Daveyjones » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:37 pm

I passed 1st to me and I also spend 12 hours a day in a contact centre. The hardest part of the fitness test is convincing yourself you can do it. The physical part on the day is easy. I would recommend trying a bleep test at home to get an idea of timings and speed etc. The first try on your own will be hard and tiring. If you dont get to the desired level this then gives you a bench mark to work from. I would suggest interval training at this point. Walk for a minute then run for a minute etc increase your running time by 30 seconds to a minute each time you go out. After a couple of days try another bleep test and so on. Also remember during your fitness test you will most likely be in a group of 3-4 and you will help each other to pace etc. Also I took mine in manchester and the fitness instructor is amazing talks you through every step of the way telling you how many shuttles you have left and who to pace yourself with. He will make sure you pass.
25/6 Applied
26/6 POST passed
18/7 RAD
19/7 RAD passed
22/7 merit listed
24/7 conditional offer
25/7 vetting started
22/9 THE CALL
13/11 Induction week
20/11 POELT Start

Peppa
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Peppa » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:40 pm

Hi Matt, I had my RAD in Manchester at the weekend too and couldn't do the fitness test either.
Running doesn't come naturally but I had a month to prepare so I went running in short bursts and practiced the beep at home. I measured out 15m and you can download apps or use YouTube.

Good luck, I need to book mine but I also work full time in a school so it's either ringing in sick or being honest and taking a day unpaid.

Daveyjones
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Daveyjones » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:46 pm

I would also suggest listening to your app/video for the bleep test as the one I tried originally and the app I was using was wrong. Make sure it gets to level 5.4 at 3:35 seconds and its the right one.
25/6 Applied
26/6 POST passed
18/7 RAD
19/7 RAD passed
22/7 merit listed
24/7 conditional offer
25/7 vetting started
22/9 THE CALL
13/11 Induction week
20/11 POELT Start

Daveyjones
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Daveyjones » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:49 pm

I would also suggest listening to your app/video for the bleep test as the one I tried originally and the app I was using was wrong. Make sure it gets to level 5.4 at 3:35 seconds and its the right one.
25/6 Applied
26/6 POST passed
18/7 RAD
19/7 RAD passed
22/7 merit listed
24/7 conditional offer
25/7 vetting started
22/9 THE CALL
13/11 Induction week
20/11 POELT Start

Xoxox
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Xoxox » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:22 pm

I was so unfit and been overweight till recently before I lost 3st, literally do no excercise, for the 3 weeks before I was out every night running the bleep off an app on my iPhone, just measured out the 15m and also occasionally went for 10 min jogs. I passed it an absolute breeze on the day. It is easier than you think when you've put the training in, on my rad though all the ones that failed had just winged it and not practiced!
Application 15/07/17
RAD 02/08/17
RAD passed 07/08/17
Merit listed 07/08/17 :(

Louishone
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Louishone » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:03 pm

Practice the bleep test before hand, you can get it on YouTube or download an app, to be honest the level you need to achieve is a brisk jog. If you can't make level 5.5 then I would consider looking at your lifestyle aswell i.e diet exercise.

Tiger
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Tiger » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:40 pm

Ran & ran and pushed. Was at 3.5. Two days later I went back everyone at my gym watched me do it with my dad on the track so I had to do 5.4 with the audience watching and I did it!

Two days later was the rad I nailed it. It's hard. It's really hard but adrenaline does make a difference. Honest. Good luck x
:slbg: RAD 2nd Sept
:slyay: RAD results 4th Sept
Now waiting... :slwin:

Vetting form :sltgn: 6th Oct
Submitted 15th Oct :slred:

:slyay: on the vetting train :slcl:

mpeng82
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by mpeng82 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:18 pm

Tiger wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:40 pm
Ran & ran and pushed. Was at 3.5. Two days later I went back everyone at my gym watched me do it with my dad on the track so I had to do 5.4 with the audience watching and I did it!

Two days later was the rad I nailed it. It's hard. It's really hard but adrenaline does make a difference. Honest. Good luck x
Thank you for your reply, i've done the test at home and managed to get to level four but i think i could go further but concentrating on the phone i wasnt concentrating on my breathing.

touch wood

mpeng82
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by mpeng82 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:20 pm

Louishone wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:03 pm
Practice the bleep test before hand, you can get it on YouTube or download an app, to be honest the level you need to achieve is a brisk jog. If you can't make level 5.5 then I would consider looking at your lifestyle aswell i.e diet exercise.
thanks, ive lost two stone in a year down to 15.6 stone. eating one healthy meal a day.

ive heard drinking 6oz of water an hour before helps

david756
Registered Member
Registered Member
Mood:

Post by david756 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:31 am

All I will say is I am pretty unhealthy, big and strong but cardio is shocking. I passed the bleep but was blowing. Didn’t do any prep work for it. Since then I’ve signed up to a gym to work on that side and will cancel and make use of the facilities at the prison.

All I’ll say is that adrenaline kicks in and doing it in a group makes you determined not to fail. Definitely something to work on for the rest of your career as you’ll be doing it yearly, but it isn’t as difficult as I thought.

mpeng82
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by mpeng82 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:47 am

david756 wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:31 am
All I will say is I am pretty unhealthy, big and strong but cardio is shocking. I passed the bleep but was blowing. Didn’t do any prep work for it. Since then I’ve signed up to a gym to work on that side and will cancel and make use of the facilities at the prison.

All I’ll say is that adrenaline kicks in and doing it in a group makes you determined not to fail. Definitely something to work on for the rest of your career as you’ll be doing it yearly, but it isn’t as difficult as I thought.
Thanks david i appreciate your reply. ive got an exercise bike in the house so plan to use that daily and build strength up in leg muscles.

Not idea but working 12hr days not mich more i can do

Dreams1118
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Dreams1118 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:50 am

I failed my first attempt I think I got to lvl 4 with struggle.I was so out of breath as i was overweight and still am even after losing 3 stone from the start of this entire process (4months) got a long way to go! But I rebooked and had 4 weeks to practice and smashed it got to lvl 5.4 still with a struggle but I did it. Off your determined you will do it! Good luck👍🏻

Tiger
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Tiger » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:01 am

mpeng82 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:18 pm
Tiger wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:40 pm

Thank you for your reply, i've done the test at home and managed to get to level four but i think i could go further but concentrating on the phone i wasnt concentrating on my breathing.

touch wood
I honestly believe your adrenaline makes you do it. Mine did. 3.5 to 5.4 in two days. That's adrenaline not practise lol
:slbg: RAD 2nd Sept
:slyay: RAD results 4th Sept
Now waiting... :slwin:

Vetting form :sltgn: 6th Oct
Submitted 15th Oct :slred:

:slyay: on the vetting train :slcl:

Lthenewbie
Committee Member
Committee Member
Mood:

Post by Lthenewbie » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:11 pm

It's not hard at all I'm 19 stone and I haven't run for a long time after breaking my leg in 4 places i passed first time ...but with practice you will be fine also on the day the instructor will tell you if your going too fast he got us to run the perfect pace so we got to the line perfectly every time

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic