• Active Topics  Back Forward Stop Play

Interview on familiarisation day?

Only use this area to start new topics if you are applying for a post for HMPS or similar.
Inazina
Rookie Member

Interview on familiarisation day?

Post by Inazina » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:47 am

Hello everyone and thank you for your contribution to this fantastic forum. I read it compulsively for the last week and it was extremely helpful.

I applied for a prison officer job and passed POST a few days ago. I received an email with instructions to book a familiarisation day and I filled in the forms to be checked before that. Soon after I was told that all checks made against me have been completed and my familiarisation day in the beginning of next month is confirmed (it will take two and a half hours). (Nothing about RAD). Reading on the forums about the familiarisation day, it seems that lately, in some cases, it includes an interview. On Steria this appointment is called an interview, in my emails is called familiarisation day.

I am quite stressed of the possibility to have in interview I didn't properly prepared for. Is it possible to fail it and not be able to continue with RAD etc? Can those who had an interview on their familiarisation day maybe give some details about it, please?

Daveyjones
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Interview on familiarisation day?

Post by Daveyjones » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:01 pm

It wont be an official interview. You may be asked questions etc but no formal interview. I am due to start next moth and have never had a familiarisation day. Some establishments do it before your RAD as if you then decide against it you havn't had to go through all the other stages. Some get a familiarisation day after completing vetting and some like myself never get one. As with the rest of the process there is not exact process.
25/6 Applied
26/6 POST passed
18/7 RAD
19/7 RAD passed
22/7 merit listed
24/7 conditional offer
25/7 vetting started
22/9 THE CALL
13/11 Induction week
20/11 POELT Start

laticsash92
Committee Member
Committee Member
Mood:

Post by laticsash92 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:28 pm

Wont be an interview.
I went for one at my place ( already an osg there), turn up, book in as our place you need finger prints etc done. You then go for a tour, as questions and done. It takes ages yes as the tour takes the longest

rmurzz
Official Member
Official Member

Post by rmurzz » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:05 am

Familiarization will be a group of you, There never use to be 1. They have introduced it because people were going through the process without ever entering a prison, and then deciding after joining the prison environment wasn't for them. Most prison officer positions when passing online will offer you the familiarization even before you can book your rad. For me this helped me massively, as soon as i walked around, talking to staff and prisoners and walking the site really made me want it even more.

I am not sure if applying for a cluster of prisons or if your likely to get merit listed they may not offer you this and may just do the rad and then a familiarization visit once allocated an establishment.

For mine, we was told to smart casual, jeans and a shirt most people wore.

After a tour of the prison how everything works, meeting people staff and prisoners,work stations, we had an group powerpoint detailing the role and the process.

I'm certain most prisons do 1 or 2 a month in groups.

Mine lasted for 4 hours...

Some prisons may well be different but im pretty confident there won't be any official interview. Although its compulsory to attend if offered to progress onto the Rad day. Some people don't even have these familiarization

when i Applied a few years ago, its changed so much.. there was no familiarization, all paper works, references and vetting etc were all completed on paper work and we had to provide when we turned up for the rad day..

Inazina
Rookie Member

Post by Inazina » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:31 am

Thank you all very much. It makes perfect sense to invite applicants to see a prison inside before wasting time and resources on all the tests and checks if they decide later in the process it's not really for them. I'm less anxious about the interview now, hopefully everything will be okay.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic