• Active Topics  Back Forward Stop Play

Google can be as useful too...

Only use this area to start new topics if you are applying for a post for HMPS or similar.
bluinfernouk
Executive Member
Executive Member

Google can be as useful too...

Post by bluinfernouk » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:56 pm

Have to say, thanks to many people in here, I've already learnt a lot since starting my application process.

However, when I don't understand something relatively simple or don't know the meaning of a commonly used acronym etc, I tend do a quick search in GOOGLE to satisfy my need for an answer, rather than burden anyone for an answer in here.

I might not alway be the brightest match in the book, but to me, that is using common sense and initiative - something my entire career, both in the forces and private sector, has been based on, so it comes instinctively to me. And there's also that nice feeling of accomplishment too when you've figured something out and learnt something new.

It just seems that so many of the same questions get asked over and over and over again, rather than using the forum search or external search options first.

I'll no doubt get slated for saying such a thing in here, because I know many people prefer/need to be spoon-fed everything - but - to be going to work back in an environment where any minute of every day you could be relying on the backup of your colleagues (and vice-versa) it IS somewhat concerning that initiative and common sense is so lacking in so many people in general.

Id like to believe, as Im sure we all would, that if our lives are to be in each other's hands, then we need to feel 100% confident in that regard.

Here's hoping it does go that way for all of us ahead.
Good luck to everyone else too with their new career ahead.

MP
Last edited by bluinfernouk on Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SWM5436
Committee Member
Committee Member
Mood:

Re: Google can be as usefu too...

Post by SWM5436 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:55 pm

Your not saying anything that hasn't been said before, some people have taken offence and attacked the poster which has led to them leaving the forum.

This forum infuriates me at times as even though there is a vetting thread in the main box people feel the need to make a new thread asking the same damn questions and using the same thread title.
Fam visit then POST - 21 June
RAD - 12 July
RAD result - 14 July
Conditional offer - 17 July
Vetting - 18 July
OH Assist - 28 Sept/9 Nov
Waiting the call - 11 Nov :slyay:
The Call 15 Nov - Start date TBC

bluinfernouk
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Google can be as usefu too...

Post by bluinfernouk » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:00 pm

True what you say, and although I'm not a bully, I am honest in that I wouldn't want to work with anyone who can't think for themselves or (safely) have someone else's back... so if anyone takes offence to hearing/reading the harsh truth, then so be it - and maybe it's not the right job for them then 😉

(But of course, that's not for me to say. Each person will find that out for themselves in time)

Porecruit17
Official Member
Official Member

Re: Google can be as useful too...

Post by Porecruit17 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:20 pm

I do agree with most of this post,

But just because someone comes on here to talk/ask questions to current serving officers, It does not mean that they don't have comment sense or unable to back a colleague up on the landings.

That's a ridiculous statement.

Vicavac
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Vicavac » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:30 pm

I said this to my partner last week:
It worries me that I am going to work with people who has no common sense...
Like: DO NOT POST where you are based as it is a public forum.... I have already worked out 2 of those who will be working with me soon.... (Well... It wasn't too hard as it was stated somewhere between the lines :slhehe: :sley: )

However, I also learnt a lot from this forum and you guys reassured me many times that I am not the only one standing in the big dark woods... So that is nice... Keep it up but keep searching as well please....

bluinfernouk
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bluinfernouk » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:32 pm

Common sense comes in many shapes and forms, but without it, people usually need to be hand-fed.

In an emergency or stressful situation there's no time to hand-feed anyone.

So yes, it starts with the basics.

Emearg
Official Member
Official Member
Mood:

Post by Emearg » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:32 pm

Are we, as prison officers meant to use our own initiative to seek out information that may be required ?
8th April 17, Applied - 31 May 17, Familiarisation Day - 8th June 17, Attended RAD/Fail - 6th July 17, Attended development day/Passed - 25th July 17, conditional offer - 26th July 17, vetting started - 29th September, Received start date. :slyay:

SWM5436
Committee Member
Committee Member
Mood:

Post by SWM5436 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:42 pm

Tried to google that but didn’t come up with anything :slraz:
RAD - 12 July
RAD result - 14 July
Vetting - 18 July

bluinfernouk
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bluinfernouk » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:45 pm

In some cases I guess not.

It must surely be ok to attend the 1st day in jeans, t-shirt and flip-flops - unless specifically and officially informed otherwise by 3 different institutions in triplicate, online and in writing.

🤗

Emearg
Official Member
Official Member
Mood:

Post by Emearg » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:47 pm

SWM5436 wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:42 pm
Tried to google that but didn’t come up with anything :slraz:
:slcl: :slcl:
:slhehe: :slhehe: :slhehe:
8th April 17, Applied - 31 May 17, Familiarisation Day - 8th June 17, Attended RAD/Fail - 6th July 17, Attended development day/Passed - 25th July 17, conditional offer - 26th July 17, vetting started - 29th September, Received start date. :slyay:

SWM5436
Committee Member
Committee Member
Mood:

Post by SWM5436 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:48 pm

Flip flops are never an acceptable form of footwear unless you are a rugby league player and feel the need to wear shorts and a hoodie as part of your post match hosting :slRA2:
RAD - 12 July
RAD result - 14 July
Vetting - 18 July

bluinfernouk
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bluinfernouk » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:52 pm

Or with surfboard under the arm, ready for the waves during breaktimes.

But alas, I foiled myself, because even Google can't predict the eventuality of that happening...

Emearg
Official Member
Official Member
Mood:

Post by Emearg » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:53 pm

But did you ask Google that question and why it cant predict it :slraz: :slhehe: :slhehe:

bluinfernouk
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bluinfernouk » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:00 pm

I'm guessing only because its Google and not Imelda

Xombi
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Xombi » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:04 pm

Well, it swings both ways.

The forum is extremely repetitive I can agree, but I made a thread asking something that had previous discussions, but as each thread in the search gives different answers I may as well use the forum... Or why even sign up? This place is full of questions with little consistency in the way of answers. It has been demonstrated in more than one thread, even insinuated that I have already received the information so why keep talking about it, but that info was actually inaccurate.

Anyone who takes the time to give an opinion, answer or whatever is appreciated, but it doesn't always make them correct.

I am coming from a very technically and physically demanding role with a LOT of safety critical responsibilities, I have also worked in challenging behaviour mental health, but to read some posts that act like me asking a repetitive questions on here rather than Google makes me a risk to you on the landing... Well I hope you're as good as you make out, but right now you sound smug, nothing more.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic