• Active Topics  Back Forward Stop Play
five years ago Benchmarking came in which said prisons could run with a lot less staff, VEDS was born and thousands of highly experienced prison officers were paid off handsomely to leave early.
This gave HMP the prisons with a lot less staff that they wanted and since then? Well since then we have RECORD NUMBERS of brand new prison officers with 0 experience whatever. Far better than the hugely experienced prison officers who were paid handsomely to leave.
Join falkor, manc-apollo and npatchet2000, Twisties and Moredread for the BIG DISCUSSION on all this and more, 2000hrs Wednesday night

mChat Wednesday night 2000 :slhehe:

Black coffee :mug: provided free

Average wait time?

Only use this area to start new topics if you are applying for a post for HMPS or similar.
Amy1996
Registered Member
Registered Member

Average wait time?

Post by Amy1996 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:15 pm

Hello,
I have recently applied to become a prison officer, it is definatly up there with dream jobs for me and yes I have looked into it as much as I can.
I am 21 years old and female who studied forensics when I was at college and I'm fascinated with playing a role in the criminal justice system. I was going to go to uni to study criminology but I have heard it's not an amazing degree considering a lot of jobs in this industry you can work your way up or do without a degree.
ANYWAY if for example I pass my RAD how long did some of you guys wait before starting your poelt training. I'm currently a health care assistant at a care home and I find it so dull 1. Because there is no job progression and 2. the pay is like 12000 a year
Would appreciate all answers 😀

Huntsman22
Committee Member
Committee Member
Mood:

Re: Average wait time?

Post by Huntsman22 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:22 pm

My wait times are attached to my signature. It can anything with the rough average being between 3 and 6 months wait. I came from doing this sort of role in the past so know the frustrations included! Hope it goes well for you
Last edited by Huntsman22 on Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
‘But if you never try, you’ll never know’

TMH90
Official Member
Official Member

Post by TMH90 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:31 pm

Waiting times vary with every application and unfortunately there is no average waiting time. Some receive conditional offers shortly after passing their RAD, whereas if there are no vacancies at the time you receive you results you can be merit listed for up to 12 months then when you do receive an offer vetting times are a huge grey area and vary between 3 weeks and MONTHS from what ive read myself. If you want it, go for it, the wait will be worth it in the end. Personally, I initially applied in April, passed my Rad in May and was merit listed until I received my conditional offer last Friday. A canny wait but staff turnover in my area is one of the lowest in the country. I’m now on the vetting train, 7 months after my initial application and I have no idea when I’ll next hear from them. Just go for it!
Application- 19/4/17
Rad- 20/5/17
Rad Results- 23/5/17
Merit Listed- 26/5/17
Conditional Offer- 8/12/17
Vetting Commenced 12/12/17
OH Questionnaire 14/12/17

Amy1996
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Amy1996 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:38 pm

Ahhh ok hopefully if I am lucky enough to pass I won't have to wait to long
Oh really ? What part of the country are you in ? I'm hopefully going to go to the guys marsh prison in shaftesbury.
Are the fitness tests hard ? I do go to the gym regularly but I'm more stamina than speed, and I have seen some people say the bleep test already starts at jogging pace haha.
Kinda scared for the role plays aswell 😂

Bagpuss
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Bagpuss » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:06 am

No one can give a realistic gauge on time frame from RAD to POLET. Frustratingly drawn out Chinese water torture & left in the dark, to some applicants recently passing pre employment checks in 3-4 weeks 🤔 If you pass the online tests, you shouldn't have a problem with the English and Maths as it's similar. The bleep test isn't too hard, I'm 45 unfit and passed it twice!!! The roll plays. Well your given enough information before you do them to pass them, be yourself and you should be fine!
27/10/17 - Applied
31/10/17 - RAD
01/11/17 - Conditional Offer & OH Sent
01/11/17 - On The Vetting Train
02/11/17 - Received RAD Results
02/12/17 - OH requested again & sent again :slnuts:
15/01/18 - NSVS Received, completed & returned!

Saxon79
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Saxon79 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:59 am

Amy1996 I would change your profile pic and username for personal security reasons. You just don't know who is on this site. Prisoners have mobile phones be under no illusions.
It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man. Psalm 118:8

MrsWw
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MrsWw » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:52 am

It’s taken 8 months from application to POELT start date for me. Like other posters have said, some people sail through in weeks, others like myself were left waiting for an eternity.

I’m under the impression that they have improved vetting times but who knows! It will also depend of POELT availability once you have passed
It took 22 weeks from conditional offer to getting “the call”

TangoVictor
Official Member
Official Member
Mood:

Post by TangoVictor » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:46 am

There is a massive thread called “vetting blues” ... take a read of the 244 plus pages and you’ll see there are a wide variety of waiting times.
Starting as a Prison Officer April 2018 :slzz: :slda:

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.

K123
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by K123 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:55 am

Good luck with your application. Check my signature below. The bleep test is fine, you literally jog it the whole way through. I’m female too. As for the roleplays, just be yourself. That’s all they are looking for. No one can really give you any advice on that part. I would change your name and please take your photo down 😊
22nd April - RAD
28th April - RAD results passed/OH Assist Returned
12th May - Merit Listed
1st August - Conditional Offer/Submitted Vetting

24th November - Got the call :slyay:
8th January - Start Date

TMH90
Official Member
Official Member

Post by TMH90 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:50 am

I found this video useful before my Rad. Shows everything you're being assessed on during your role play scenarios. Take a look, but ultimately be yourself, it’s not an acting audition. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MrzeX4RUpxM
Application- 19/4/17
Rad- 20/5/17
Rad Results- 23/5/17
Merit Listed- 26/5/17
Conditional Offer- 8/12/17
Vetting Commenced 12/12/17
OH Questionnaire 14/12/17

Bird7
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Bird7 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:37 pm

I’m 23 and just graduated in July! I studied Criminology and there is limited jobs to go into. My dream job is to be in the police so I don’t really need a degree anyway. I passed my RAD in July and got offered a conditional offer in October, so I’m in 10 weeks and vetting now(longest 10 weeks ever). I can’t wait to finally get my start date and look forward to starting :slsm:
RAD - 25/07
RAD results - 26/07
Merit listed - 26/07
Conditional offer/Vetting - 03/10
The Call (more like I called them) - 04/01
Start date - 02/04
POELT - 09/04

Amy1996
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Amy1996 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:17 pm

Thankyou guys, so basically it seems over a year wait could be rare more often a case of months?
I'm just so frustrated in my current job and working in this area is what I have always wanted to do but never really seen jobs going, so grabbed the opportunity when I saw vacancies.
And yes I really badly want to study criminology but like you said there's limited jobs and the jobs you could do have an alternative route to a degree anyway and means you dont end up in racks of debt. and they seem more interested in work experience rather than degrees?
Life would be so much more easier if I wanted a simple 9-5 job 😂 but no I have to be awkward for myself
Another question I have is.. I was interested in 2 different prisons however one said minimum salary 22000 and the other said minimum 26700 ? What makes the change ?
And yeah what an idiot I am! I took the avatar down . I dunno how to change username though

Huntsman22
Committee Member
Committee Member
Mood:

Post by Huntsman22 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:22 pm

Message Falkor and he’ll sort it for you
‘But if you never try, you’ll never know’

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic