• Active Topics  Back Forward Stop Play

Prison Officer Applications

Only use this area to start new topics if you are applying for a post for HMPS or similar.
kentgirl
Official Member
Official Member

Prison Officer Applications

Post by kentgirl » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:39 am

Hi all, I'd like those who are interested in becoming a prison officer (and those in post) of the process that is now in place since 7th January this year. The application is now online, on passing the initial questionnaire you are emailed a numeracy test which you take and then submit your answers, you have 60 minutes to complete four sections, but you can save after section, as long as you complete all sections in 7 days.

If you are successful in the online test you will then be invited to a RAD (recruitment assessment day) You will be offered the choice of centre and either AM or PM; currently the centres are Wakefield (Yorkshire) Birmingham, Grendon (Buckinghamshire) Rochester (Kent) and Hammersmith (London) however Hammersmith will move to Croydon in the near future.

When you are invited to a centre you will have forms to download and complete, you will need to bring these with you with other documentation; this includes proof of ID,this can be a 10 year UK passport (if you don't have a 10 year in date passport then get one, if you don't then you you have to supply so much paperwork such as both your parents original birth certificates, your full original birth certificate, no copies accepted). You will also be asked to bring proof of address, mobile phone bills aren't accepted.

On attending your chsoen RAD centre (make sure you get there in plenty of time) you will first sit the POST (prison officer selection test). This is follewd by Job Simulations,a medical and an interview.

NOW PART OF THE DAY IS A FITNESS TEST..which you should be forwarded details of... (if you want to knmow more...PM me)

It is only after being succesful at all the above plus the vetting which can take at least six weeks will you be offered a training course.

I currently work at a RAD centre, and whilst I will answer any general questions regrding the process I can't answer individual applications.

But good luck to you all that are applying, and if you are thinking about it try!!!
Last edited by kentgirl on Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

SAMANTHA
Elite Member
Elite Member
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Re: Prison Officer Applications

Post by SAMANTHA » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:08 am

Thanks for that info Kentgirl, it should clear up lots of questions people have.
I am going to give it my best shot, I have left lots of time to prepare for my Assessment day, which is 21st july, and I am actually looking forward to it!

Take care

Sam
Lettin' the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier'n puttin' it back in.
Dogs come when they're called; cats take a message and get back to you later

Garden Fairy
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Garden Fairy » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:32 am

Thanks for that kentgirl, I'm sure everyone will have questions for you, including me :D
How long, approx, will I be waiting for a fitness test date? I will have passed my RAD 2 week this coming Wed, so not been waiting long so far, just like to know though.

Oh and welcome :D

kentgirl
Official Member
Official Member

Post by kentgirl » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:20 pm

Thanks. They are aiming to do the fitness test as soon after the RAD as possible so you should be hearing quite soon. Well done on passing the RAD and good luck in your new career.

kentgirl
Official Member
Official Member

Post by kentgirl » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:27 pm

Good luck on your Assessment day Sam. I'm glad you are looking forward to it.

SAMANTHA wrote:Thanks for that info Kentgirl, it should clear up lots of questions people have.
I am going to give it my best shot, I have left lots of time to prepare for my Assessment day, which is 21st july, and I am actually looking forward to it!

Take care

Sam

SAMANTHA
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by SAMANTHA » Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:16 pm

Thanks Kentgirl :)
Lettin' the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier'n puttin' it back in.
Dogs come when they're called; cats take a message and get back to you later

holzaddy
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by holzaddy » Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:36 pm

hi kentgirl i have a few questions i duno if u culd clear them up? i alrede have a enhanced crb which i took to my rad day along with id etc n being only 19 i havent had all that many jobs for them to check, therefore will this work in my favour causing security checks and vetting to take less time? also i take it recruitment will contact me in regards 2 a fitness test or do i contact them? as a few ppl have rung them and then been able to book a fitness test? thanx in advance for your help holly

sharpe
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by sharpe » Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:44 pm

hi kentgirl and welcome to the site

Gismo
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Gismo » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:19 pm

Hi KentGirl

Good to welcome another member of the Kent Crew on board

Gismo :s:

kentgirl
Official Member
Official Member

Post by kentgirl » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:22 pm

Hi Holly and congrats on passing your RAD. Regarding your CRB unfortunately these are only relevant for the company you work for.....if you were asked to complete a CRB on the day you must have chosen a juvenile establishment as one of your choices.....these checks are completed quite quickly. Your employment checks will depend on your current/former employers and how quick they complete their references, because of your age this will also include refernces from your school.

You will be contacted regarding your fitness test, it isn't anything to do with the RAD centres, I'd suggest contacting the Shared Service Centre....they deal with everything after the RAD.

holzaddy wrote:hi kentgirl i have a few questions i duno if u culd clear them up? i alrede have a enhanced crb which i took to my rad day along with id etc n being only 19 i havent had all that many jobs for them to check, therefore will this work in my favour causing security checks and vetting to take less time? also i take it recruitment will contact me in regards 2 a fitness test or do i contact them? as a few ppl have rung them and then been able to book a fitness test? thanx in advance for your help holly

holzaddy
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by holzaddy » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:38 am

thanks for your help kentgirl! oh ive applied to yoi's (18-21) but havent been asked to fill out a crb is that correct? yes i knew they would have to contact my school too, but looks like at this stage every1 is in for a long wait!! thanx agen for your help holly

sweetfemale
Committee Member
Committee Member
Alignment: 'Thunder'

Post by sweetfemale » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:03 pm

Hi kentgirl and welcome to the forums.

Just a quick question, if you would be so kind to answer?

I took my RAD on friday 18/04 and waiting to hear if i have passed or not.
I dont have a passport but took along my birth certificate (small one), marriage certificate as i married 4 yrs ago, my photo card driving license and a letter from the bank with my name/address on.
Apparently none of these were any good for i.d and if im sucessful with the RAD will have to provide i.d.

What else can i use??
Thanks in advance x
I accept full responsibilities for my actions but not if they are somebody else's fault

kentgirl
Official Member
Official Member

Post by kentgirl » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:35 pm

Hiya.

Unfortunately because you don't have a passport you will have to prove your I.D. and entitlement to work in the U.K. To prove I.D. you will need a combination of two of the following; your original full birth certificate (they don't accept copies), 3 bank statements plus card and cheque book, 3 credit card statements plus card, your paper driving license plus the photo license. To prove entitlement to work you will need your full original birth certificate or your parents birth certificates or marriage certificate. I know this seems a lot but if you are successful (which I hope you are) it might be advisable to get a full 10 year passport as it will prove all of the above.

Good luck.

Kentgirl
sweetfemale wrote:Hi kentgirl and welcome to the forums.

Just a quick question, if you would be so kind to answer?

I took my RAD on friday 18/04 and waiting to hear if i have passed or not.
I dont have a passport but took along my birth certificate (small one), marriage certificate as i married 4 yrs ago, my photo card driving license and a letter from the bank with my name/address on.
Apparently none of these were any good for i.d and if im sucessful with the RAD will have to provide i.d.

What else can i use??
Thanks in advance x

Danni
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Danni » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:20 pm

Hi Kentgirl :wave:
I passed my RAD five weeks ago and my fitness test last week! Are the checks usually completed within 6 weeks?
Also I was wondering how long it takes to receive an offer and is this by phone, post or email?
Welcome to the site! I bet your going to be inundated with ppl like me wanting ur advice :lol:
Passed POST - Jan 2008
RAD - March 2008
Fitness - April 2008
Vetting Cleared - August 2008
Start Date - still patiently waiting for that!

piglet
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by piglet » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:51 pm

Hello Kentgirl,
I am also in Kent and have my RAD at Rochester in August, is that where you work ? Just wanted to say hi, but I'm sure I'll have some questions for you later !!
Bye for now
Piglet :pig:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic