• Active Topics  Back Forward Stop Play

Life on the wings

high profile stories and issues for Prison Officers

Moderator: Chryo

CareerNod

Re: Life on the wings

Post by CareerNod » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:43 pm

Found this topic really interesting, and as a new starter a lot of what the experienced officers on here have wrote I have now seen come true.

I work in a busy jail, on a busy wing, where there are very few experienced staff, and of those experienced many have handed in their notice and are leaving. These people pretty much do as little as possible and sit in the office and are reluctant to help me and other new starters at all. Sometimes I am the only one on the landings, or it will be 1 or 2 other poelts. So basically it's the blind leading the blind. I wish they'd move these officers who have no interest in the job anymore to an area where they would do less damage, like on the gate, and put people on the wing who will be on the landings, not in the office, or hiding somewhere. I just don't know how I am supposed to develop as an officer with nobody to tell me if what I'm doing is right or wrong, and without the people who are supposed to be on the landings, actually on the landings.

What are your thoughts on this? Has anybody else experienced anything similar?

Saxon79
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Saxon79 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:13 pm

I find that absolutely shocking. I start on the 2nd October and I just hope my jail isn't like that.
It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man. Psalm 118:8

phil1972
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by phil1972 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:32 pm

xofficer, I've only been in the job 2 weeks. also in a cat b local.
And your description of the job is spot on.

rmurzz
Official Member
Official Member

Post by rmurzz » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:51 am

May i say, This is a very very very good thread for any new recruits to read about the reality about of the job role.

Some people have strong opinions on here, although the opinion is the truth of there experience, it can be perceived as there trying to use there opinions to scare away the new recruits.

From a personal point of view, i couldn't of found this more helpful and interesting. To say this has not shook me a little I would be being dishonest..

But it has not put me of from joining!! If anything, this has helped me, knowing the truths about what i am going into..

I will join with my head held high expecting the worst and find out from my personal experience about the role..

I was advised to read this post, I know its few a months old now but I hope more and more newbys read this just like I have.

It would have been nice for the experienced officers to add some positives to there essays of negatives ( If there is any)

Many thanks to all

R :slnuts:

Elkins17
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Elkins17 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:37 am

:slby:

Thank you for all the details on here. Good and bad. As someone who hopes to be an officer it’s important to read the good, bad and the ugly. Atleast then I won’t get a shock when I don’t get sit down with the inmates and enjoy a cuppa with them 🙄. If people don’t like reading the bad bits then they shouldn’t apply?
14/10/2017- Applied
16/10/2017- Passed POST
24/11/2017- Familiarisation Day

:slwh:

SWM5436
Committee Member
Committee Member
Mood:

Post by SWM5436 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:01 am

This is probably the best post on here for people who want to join the prison service, doesn't sugar coat stuff and has real life experience comments about what you will face in your time with the service.

It should be the first post people are directed to when the join the forum so they can see what really happens behind closed doors.

Well the parts about the job are Good, the slagging sessions between NTKB and Collie are entertaining if not a little bit childish.
Fam visit then POST - 21 June
RAD - 12 July
RAD result - 14 July
Conditional offer - 17 July
Vetting - 18 July
OH Assist - 28 Sept/9 Nov
Waiting the call - 11 Nov :slyay:
The Call 15 Nov - Start date TBC

turnscrew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by turnscrew » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:19 pm

9851colle wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:29 am
I have told you I don't want to know you and if I did would not give you time of day, you have shown your true colours and you are what I thought a BULLY. Grow up.

And just to put it straight I edited the post whilst you were still on the sight just as you have done so don't patronise me

I think you need to change your signature which you keep alluding to as you do care what people think. Anyway this is my last post on this.
Site.

AngelFx
Executive Officer
Executive Officer
Class: 'Holy Avenger'
Alignment: 'Vampire'

Post by AngelFx » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:30 am

:slcl: well spotted lol
How you doing turnscrew?
If it doesn't challenge you, it won't change you! :slda:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic