high profile stories and issues for Prison Officers

Moderator: Chryo

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Shade'

prisons are no longer places for punishment

Post by falkor » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:27 am

A new Prison and Courts Bill, proposed by Liz Truss, the Justice Secretary, tells prison governors they must protect the public, reform and rehabilitate offenders, prepare prisoners for life outside and be safe and secure.
The legislation does not place any obligation on prisons to punish offenders

SassySez
Official Member
Official Member
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Re: prisons are no longer places for punishment

Post by SassySez » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:52 pm

Losing their freedom is their punishment, Prison officers aren't there to beat them with a cane everyday 😑

Mjaymz
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by Mjaymz » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:17 pm

That's very true sassysaz however if they all read this then prisoners will start acting up prison is for rehabilitation yes but it's also there to teach them a lesson and not want to go back if they start by adopting this approach and making it like holiday camps like they've stated it's just going to take the mick in all fairness and make the prison officers job 10x more difficult as they will know they are there not to be punished etc I think our government needs to have a serious rethink on strategy and rules and the way society is how things should really be run I don't recall things been so bad back in the day when it was tough rules all around and cons respected officers most anyways. Just my way of thinking I guess. Everything is getting a bit to laxed in this day and age.....

Rine90
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Rine90 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:59 pm

It is right that the lack of freedom and having only basic amenities is their punishment... the role as I understand it has always been a challenging one now made more so by more rights being given back to those being punished it's going to make it more so as the restrictions it puts on the officers to do what is being asked from them which is considerably more with the need to assist with rehabilitating and reforming the prisioners... there will need to be a line drawn somewhere or something put in place to help officers even if it is more staff to assist with it all.
Applied - 30/03/17
RAD - 12/04/17
Results - 18/04/17
Offer - 12/05/17
Vetting started - 20/05/17
Vetting passed - 26/07/2017
'The Call' - 04/08/2017 :slyay: :slyay:
Start Date - 02/10/2017 :slcup:
POELT - 09/10/2017 :slin: :sloo:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic