• Active Topics  Back Forward Stop Play

Private to Public Sector

high profile stories and issues for Prison Officers

Moderator: Chryo

Jonjo823

Private to Public Sector

Post by Jonjo823 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:28 pm

Hi,

I have recently passed the Senior Officer board at a private establishment but have been offered a position as a prison officer at a public high security jail. Do I make the move from the Private sector to the Public Sector or would this be a silly move? The money works out about the same with the additional allowances, but the idea of having control and discipline is the aspect that tempts me to leave. Any advice would be great as all I seem to get at my current establishment is bias.

Saxon79
Committee Member
Committee Member

Re: Private to Public Sector

Post by Saxon79 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:06 pm

If it was me I would be leaving the Private sector and going into Public sector.
It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man. Psalm 118:8

SWM5436
Committee Member
Committee Member
Mood:

Post by SWM5436 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:07 pm

Haven’t heard anything positive about the private sector prisons so would switch if I was in that position.
Fam visit then POST - 21 June
RAD - 12 July
RAD result - 14 July
Conditional offer - 17 July
Vetting - 18 July
OH Assist - 28 Sept/9 Nov
Waiting the call - 11 Nov :slyay:
The Call 15 Nov - Start date TBC

Jonjo823

Post by Jonjo823 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:16 pm

The issue I have is it is all about regime and not staff safety. I love my job and everything that comes with it, but it's the politics that are putting me off staying, especially know I'm a 'line manager' at a 'business'

SPH
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by SPH » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:16 am

I currently work as a COM in a London private prison and having worked 10 yrs in the public sector, I actually don't see a lot of difference. The place runs well and has had a very good HMP report. If it's politics you don't like in the private sector, then get your tin hat on because it's non stop incoming in the public sector. We do the same job at the end of the day. And I have to say that due to the wiping out of the senior ranks and experience within the public sector there ain't a lot of difference between the two. But that's just my opinion.
Always use the 7 P's :slbx:

Louishone
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Louishone » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:41 am

I think your problem on this forum is you are only going to end up mostly with the options of people who are not actually in the job yet, maybe contact purple pig/Sgt bush, they as far as I am aware are currently serving.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic