• Active Topics  Back Forward Stop Play
:x-) Merry Christmas from your Moderation TEAM :rein:
KIRK

Eat drink and be merry. I hope your households are full of festive cheer :x-)

falkor
May your chimneys be blessed with the arrival of a very snowy Father christmas and several reindeer! remember! leave some mince pies out for him (and a carrot for the Reindeer!) :rein:
manc-apollo
Bah Humbug!! :x-)
Karen47
"Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't Before! What if Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store. What if Christmas.........perhaps........means a little bit more!"
The Grinch talks sense. Merry Christmas & Happy New Year all xxx :rein:
click the X top right of this Announcement panel :x-)

Flexible Working Request

high profile stories and issues for Prison Officers

Moderator: Chryo

PrisonOfficer1

Flexible Working Request

Post by PrisonOfficer1 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:44 pm

I am presently on a full time contract as a Prison Officer on maximum pay which is £28,900 per annum.

I would like to apply for flexible working and reduce hours to help support our 3 children soon to be 4.

The prison service has recently brought in new contracts. New Prison Officers have a maximum salary of £23,000 and have to work longer until they retire.

I have been told that if I wish to reduce hours I have to go onto a new contract. (Pro-rated hours on the maximum £23,000 per annum).

How has this been allowed?

Get a rep

Re: Flexible Working Request

Post by Get a rep » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:26 am

PrisonOfficer1 wrote:I am presently on a full time contract as a Prison Officer on maximum pay which is £28,900 per annum.

I would like to apply for flexible working and reduce hours to help support our 3 children soon to be 4.

The prison service has recently brought in new contracts. New Prison Officers have a maximum salary of £23,000 and have to work longer until they retire.

I have been told that if I wish to reduce hours I have to go onto a new contract. (Pro-rated hours on the maximum £23,000 per annum).

How has this been allowed?
Rubbish new T&C's are not in yet, get your rep involved. Tell whoever said this you are going to use the Employment tribunal system

lolhmps

Re: Flexible Working Request

Post by lolhmps » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:46 pm

LOL, detriment for asking for Flexible working, now that would automatic employment tribunal, and you have them over a barrel now if they put that in writing

User avatar
Templar1992
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 110
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:02 am
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Re: Flexible Working Request

Post by Templar1992 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:23 pm

Nah - new T&C aren't in yet - you're being screwed over!

liljohnnybravo

Re: Flexible Working Request

Post by liljohnnybravo » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:20 pm

Does that include the changes that came into affect when went from Officer to Officer 1 and Officer 2, we were pretty much told that should we want to change-Job Role (to dog handler/PEI)/ get promoted/change of hours etc- then we would have to resign a new contract as we would be changing/altering the terms of our old contract "voluntarily" and it would no longer be applicable.

It was put to us that any deviation from current role/job would result in siging the new Officer 2 contract.

User avatar
Wyer
Committee Member
Committee Member
Posts: 334
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:41 pm
Location: North West England.

Re: Flexible Working Request

Post by Wyer » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:15 pm

Get a rep wrote:
PrisonOfficer1 wrote:I am presently on a full time contract as a Prison Officer on maximum pay which is £28,900 per annum.

I would like to apply for flexible working and reduce hours to help support our 3 children soon to be 4.

The prison service has recently brought in new contracts. New Prison Officers have a maximum salary of £23,000 and have to work longer until they retire.

I have been told that if I wish to reduce hours I have to go onto a new contract. (Pro-rated hours on the maximum £23,000 per annum).

How has this been allowed?
Rubbish new T&C's are not in yet, get your rep involved. Tell whoever said this you are going to use the Employment tribunal system
Its not rubbish.

Flexi working hours is a change to a contract and the t&c of ur contract.

Work life balance, is not a change to ur contract but a willingness from the service to help ppl whom need it the most.

The old contract and t&c are no longer in play anymore, so I don't think reps can help.
Your asking for something that is no longer available to ur current contract as that contract is no longer being given out, so in turn how can they make amends to ur contract - it made sense in my head :)

sharpe
Elite Member
Elite Member
Posts: 1255
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:08 pm

Re: Flexible Working Request

Post by sharpe » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:59 pm

Sorry agree with Wyer as you are asking for a change to your contract, it is your choice to do that you are wanting a change to the contract so is reasonable for them to want to change it too

get a rep

Re: Flexible Working Request

Post by get a rep » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:53 am

Wyer wrote:
Get a rep wrote:
PrisonOfficer1 wrote:I am presently on a full time contract as a Prison Officer on maximum pay which is £28,900 per annum.

I would like to apply for flexible working and reduce hours to help support our 3 children soon to be 4.

The prison service has recently brought in new contracts. New Prison Officers have a maximum salary of £23,000 and have to work longer until they retire.

I have been told that if I wish to reduce hours I have to go onto a new contract. (Pro-rated hours on the maximum £23,000 per annum).

How has this been allowed?
Rubbish new T&C's are not in yet, get your rep involved. Tell whoever said this you are going to use the Employment tribunal system
Its not rubbish.

Flexi working hours is a change to a contract and the t&c of ur contract.

Work life balance, is not a change to ur contract but a willingness from the service to help ppl whom need it the most.

The old contract and t&c are no longer in play anymore, so I don't think reps can help.
Your asking for something that is no longer available to ur current contract as that contract is no longer being given out, so in turn how can they make amends to ur contract - it made sense in my head :)
because he would be changing to Flexible working under the Current T&C's as the new ones dont enter till APRIL.

THAT CLEARLY MEANS THEY CANNOT USE THEM YET.

Did you see the implementation date in the Doc?

User avatar
Madra Rhu
Gold Committee Member
Gold Committee Member
Posts: 744
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:34 pm
Class: 'Undead Hunter'
Alignment: 'Shadow'
Sacred: 'Dragoon'
Location: In the ethernet shadowlands

Re: Flexible Working Request

Post by Madra Rhu » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:49 pm

get a rep wrote:because he would be changing to Flexible working under the Current T&C's as the new ones dont enter till APRIL.THAT CLEARLY MEANS THEY CANNOT USE THEM YET. Did you see the implementation date in the Doc?
Take LEGAL ADVICE, Prison Officer. This is a complex situation.
Yes Flexible Working does represent a change to your contract. The document "Fair and Sustainable" would appear to include changes in hours of working as one of the reasons for a change in contract under T&C's. You are looking at this now. The changes proposed do not come into effect until April 2012. A tactic management may use to ensure you fall foul of the new arrangements would be to delay your application until after April or to deny you such change until then. You only have a legal entitlement for your request to be considered. It is not a legal "right" that your request be automatically granted.

It may be therefore that the legal change in contract route of Flexible Working is not the appropriate avenue for you.

I am not sure how the document "Fair and Sustainable" affects the Policy of Work Life Balance.

So I say again. Put this to the POA Solicitors via a request for inital workplace legal advice on the LA100 and get your committee to send it off.

If you're not a POA member I suggest you either join or go to a high street solicitor specialising in employment law.
Always remember; the law and justice; never the twain shall meet. They are seperate and have nothing in common with each other. Bit like being married!!

Regards

Madra Rhu

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic