• Active Topics  Back Forward Stop Play
mChat Sunday @ 0900 hrs
Celticbhoy

Need to remember the prison is ours we just let them stay there. So none of this it's there house or own space. You can't go to a hotel and spark up?

falkor
I vaguely remember some movie where tons of missing people were returned to the planet including Glen Miller although he was slightly changed and now played reggae
manc-apollo
In some YOI they do get gifts,socks or little stocking filler type things. Staff will usually get a longer dinner there will be a little fewer staff on over the whole day because bang up is usually earlier. You will tend to find its harder to bang up the more difficult cons near the end of your day over the festive period.
Moredread
We're also doing something different again this year for food. Last year I did a tapas which was amazing. This year with be a 3 bird game pie (pheasant, partridge and duck - all shot locally and prepared by yours truly), roast potatoes and parsnips, carrots and peas with a home made stuffing.
SgtBush
But boss boss....... NO.
No is a good word to have.
You can change a no to a yes easier than a yes to a no if your unsure.

do join us :slcu: on this early morning mChat, a variety of questions and answers to be had
have your questions prepped for our experts and you will get an on the spot answer
click the X top right of this Announcement panel :x-)

disclosures of reports

high profile stories and issues for Prison Officers

Moderator: Chryo

old sweat
Elite Member
Elite Member
Sacred: 'Warrior'

disclosures of reports

Post by old sweat » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:01 am

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... y-him.html

So what does this mean for us now? - not only can cons read what has been written about them ( this has been the case for a while ), but they can now see who has written what!- a very dangerous move for all who write reports on prisoners be it personal and wing officers, public protection officers, probation officers work instructors etc!

Is the only course of action to make sure all reports are not positive or negative and to write as little as possible ie I'm personal officer to Mr Bloggs- and that is it-, next week write I'm still Mr Bloggs personal officer. When it comes to security reports, make sure you name no prisoners at all, do not place any prisoners on report. At least this way your name will never appear in a way that might annoy prisoners and get you assaulted, intimidated your house firebombed or sued and taken through the civil courts! The problem with this would be the vast majority of prisoners would be on the enhanced regime, serving prisoners would be made cat C's or D's, all would get out early all would get their ROTL, there would also be no nickings or MDT failures. This might not be a problem, it would reduce the prison population and get rid of dispersal and cat B training prisons as there would be no prisoners to put in them ! Use of force would be non existent, the amount of public sector officers would be reduced, prison security could be relaxed even more, prisons could close ( not private ones).

The above is a unprofessional approach to being a prison officer, but in this now new climate it could be the only sensible approach! Unless the prison service reject the findings of the prison and probation ombudsmanand adopt a reasonable, sensible approach that does not put any officers or their families at risk be it physically or psychologically.

End of my Monday morning rant :slby:

old sweat
Elite Member
Elite Member
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Re: disclosures of reports

Post by old sweat » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:14 am

http://www.insidetime.org/mailbag.asp?a ... e_redacted here is the original letter from the 'inside times'

Should this paper be banned from prisons as subversive?

kristorf
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by kristorf » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:54 am

So at what point does the Data Protection Act come into play, or are we now exempt from that as (once again) the
authorities or unaccountable quango's decide Cons have priority over Staff safety?

spring heeled jac

Post by spring heeled jac » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:01 pm

Guess it means that, by its definition and arguement, you, the officer are quite within your rights, in that you are protecting your interest in not being sued, that you have the right, to no longer, write on any history sheet nor any piece of paper that will be stored and available to be retrieved.

thats the basic arguement to this, in that you are within your rights to protect your civil liberty.

Over to the POA to inform their members not to write things down, fair wouldn't you say.

Fred F

Post by Fred F » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:33 pm

Guess it means that, by its definition and arguement, you, the officer are quite within your rights, in that you are protecting your interest in not being sued, that you have the right, to no longer, write on any history sheet nor any piece of paper that will be stored and available to be retrieved.
Would an S.O expect you to complete a Wing History Sheet? or be happy with the above explanation instead?
Info need not be redacted
From Colin Gunn – HMP Belmarsh

I would like readers of Inside Time to know that I have just had a complaint upheld by the Ombudsman that involved staff here at HMP Belmarsh redacting their names and some content from wing history sheets or any information under the Data Protection Act. In a Comp 1a response from the Performance Management Unit at Belmarsh it stated ‘Our legal advisors have informed us that in certain circumstances we are permitted to disclose restricted documents – with relevant information redacted’. This is strange because the very same person at the PMU told the Ombudsman (When contacted by him during the ensuing investigation) that she had received advice from the Offender Management team at NOMS HQ saying ‘Staff names should not be redacted unless leaving them in would give rise to a security issue’. This woman clearly knew she was talking utter nonsense in her original reply to my Comp 1a form. The Data Access & Compliance Unit states ‘Staff names in Category A prisoners records should be withheld only in exceptional circumstances’.

I know that prison staff up and down the country must hate the thought of us being able to actually see who has written what about us, and will try, with the help of their own litigation office, to tell us we are not entitled to see names and redacted information but this is 100% wrong. I hope this will be of help to others who wish to apply for their wing history sheet or other information held on them redaction free. The Ombudsman case number is 45359/2010, just in case you need to quote it.
Anything from the POA on this? So Wing History sheets can basically be applied for by any prisoner anytime?

Are Wing History Sheets put on computer? Does the Data protection Act apply?

muppet

Post by muppet » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:16 am

I really dont see the problem with this, if everything you write is evidence based and not personal opinion then your not going to get sued.

Perhaps just think about what your writing and write in a manner that you would be prepared for the offender to read.

Perdition
Committee Member
Committee Member
Class: 'Mage'
Alignment: 'Lightning'
Sacred: 'Mage'

Post by Perdition » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:18 pm

what we write may not be personal opinion, but if it has an impact on the offenders' ROTL chances, or anything else which is important to them then we are going to be at risk. The advice we have been given is to get confirmation in writing from management that the data protection act will apply before you write each and any report

sharpe
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by sharpe » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:38 pm

suprisingly they dont like people writing bad things about them, even if it is fact based

corrective

Post by corrective » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:47 pm

I think the problem lies in the middle of this discussion.

On one hand, absolute rubbish, often based on complete factual inaccuracies are written, which then gets copied onto reports upon reports into files that impact on offenders, such as their OASIS records. Conversely, many cons just abuse the system based on their trade-in-profession - lies.

The trouble is the country no longer has the budget to employ those that could separate the two...

Blue Shirt

Post by Blue Shirt » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:33 pm

Surely history sheets are now obsolete now we are using c nomis, unless some are still using the old page 16s!

kristorf
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by kristorf » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:38 pm

Blue Shirt wrote:Surely history sheets are now obsolete now we are using c nomis, unless some are still using the old page 16s!
They are, but cons can ask for a c-nomis print out of their reports.

In days of old (If I remember correctly) we used to send the complete F2050 to a central 'gist' office that went through and removed (at a cost to the con) all third party names in the history sheets, now they just seem to do a print off in house and then someone gives it a quick scan over before handing over.
On the unit I work on we usually get the personel officers to read it to the con, missing out names etc, but it seems that is stopping now as well..

Might as well sit the con behind the PC screen and log on and leave them to it????

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic