Driving to Newbold

all other issues that relate to Prison Officers

Moderator: Chryo

Sidabal
Registered Member
Registered Member

Driving to Newbold

Post by Sidabal » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:39 pm

Only passed my driving test recently so haven't had much motorway driving yet! Has any one driven from east Yorkshire to newbold?

If so how is the drive and any tips on when to set off?

Or should i just get the train :sloo:

Xombi
Official Member
Official Member

Re: Driving to Newbold

Post by Xombi » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:11 am

Sidabal wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:39 pm
Only passed my driving test recently so haven't had much motorway driving yet! Has any one driven from east Yorkshire to newbold?

As long as you take a look on google maps and get an idea of where you're going or have a satnav, the only real tip is don't speed. You'll be safer, save fuel, and have more time to take in where you're going or follow satnav instructions.

Also take a look at the trip on google maps in the morning about the actual time you think you need to set off and see how long it takes. It'll give you an estimate in current traffic conditions. For example I looked at my trip for POELT in the evening and it said 31 minutes, I checked next morning at 7am and it was 45 minutes in morning traffic.

Moredread
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Moredread » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:38 am

If you're worried about driving on a motor way for the first time then book a 2hr lesson with your old instructor. Most will be happy to help with that kind of lesson.
I used to do it when I worked for BSM many years ago.

Andy888
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Andy888 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:45 am

The best tip I can give is IF you decide to drive to Newbold, see about coming on the Sunday evening instead as Newbold is increasing POELT intake capacity from next month to 300 we were told, from the 220 odd that's currently here. Best chance of getting a space anywhere near your accommodation block will be to come on a Sunday evening.

SassySez
Official Member
Official Member
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by SassySez » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:27 pm

Sidabal wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:39 pm

I would just get motorway lessons with an instructor like others have suggested, and when planning your route add on additional time to allow for traffic.. you're better off being early than late!!

I would strongly discourage the use of the trains, only because the station is quite a way away (so will cost you plenty in taxi fares as there is no bus service) and without the use of a car you are at the mercy of public transport and could potentially find yourself stranded.

If you're not comfortable in motorways you can always set the route to avoid motorways.. it will generally take you a bit longer but it's a reasonable adjustment if you're not comfortable on the motorway

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic