“independence” for Scotland!

for OFF DUTY and leisure topics: so chat about whatever you like except issues that should go into areas above this

Moderator: Chryo

should Scotland become independent from the UK?

yes
56%
no
33%
I don't know
11%

Total votes: 18

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Shade'

“independence” for Scotland!

Post by falkor » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:17 pm

SIR – Enough talk of “independence” for Scotland, as though it were a subject nation. The United Kingdom came about not because England defeated Scotland, but because the Kingdom of Scotland and the Kingdom of England chose to unite.
What Alex Salmond, the Scottish First Minister, is talking about is not independence but the dissolution of the United Kingdom. But perhaps campaigning for “dissolution” would not have quite the same ring to it as “independence”.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/lett ... eover.html

Madra Rhu
Gold Committee Member
Gold Committee Member
Class: 'Undead Hunter'
Alignment: 'Shadow'
Sacred: 'Dragoon'

Re: “independence” for Scotland!

Post by Madra Rhu » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:04 pm

Right on the nose there falkor.
The Act of Union came about in 1707 during Queen Annes' reign. Her government became tired of attempting to govern two seperate nations under one crown with all the "competition" and "rivalry" that was going on.

It should also be remembered that when Queen Elizabeth 1st died, James 6th of Scotland was the closest heir with a legitimate claim and was invited to take the crown of England by the English Parliament who were honouring the promise made to James by Elizabeth before her death.

What the likes of Alex Salmond and the SNP forget is that there are two nations in this "union". And just like a marriage where one partner is always threatening to leave, one day the other is going to say Go and good Riddance or better still leave the relationship themselves.

Lets turn this on its' head shall we and demand a referendum of the English whether WE want to remain in union with the Scots. After all is said and done what benefit have the English had from the union?
Always remember; the law and justice; never the twain shall meet. They are seperate and have nothing in common with each other. Bit like being married!!

Regards

Madra Rhu

kristorf
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by kristorf » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:40 am

Maybe there should be a fourth option,

'I don't really care'

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Shade'

Post by falkor » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:39 am

yeah I thought about that but would like to push people to say YES or NO :slwoot:

will we have an independent Scotland?

then a little while later an independent Wales?

then hey an independent N Ireland ?

dogman
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dogman » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:55 am

I think Hadrian had the right idea..

Rob

kristorf
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by kristorf » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:02 pm

dogman wrote:I think Hadrian had the right idea..

Rob
Give all the Poles and Rumanians the task of rebuilding it (from the other side), three probs sorted in one,
immigration
unemployment and
independence :sley:

dogman
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dogman » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:27 pm

kristorf wrote:
dogman wrote:I think Hadrian had the right idea..

Rob
Give all the Poles and Rumanians the task of rebuilding it (from the other side), three probs sorted in one,
immigration
unemployment and
independence :sley:
Well as the Romans employed soldiers from all countries that they conquerd, this would probably be in keeping with the original building of the wall. There are rumours, that it was in fact actualy built by a Scottish seperatist movement to keep the Geordies from drinking all their whisky.

Rob

frank2345babies
Official Member
Official Member
Sacred: 'Mage'

Post by frank2345babies » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:10 pm

Clearly England have had no benefit from the Union, Hence the reason the Prime minister is fighting so hard to keep the union?

come on there have obviously been benefits (and no doubt some detriments) to both Nations from the union. I dont have enough information to decide or vote either way. But i do believe that david Cameron and his governernment do and i think their actions show that they would much prefer the union remains.

lirjo
Executive Officer
Executive Officer
Class: 'Elder Bard'
Alignment: 'Thunder'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by lirjo » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:07 pm

HISTORICALLY over the many centuries scotland ireland and wales have all sought the help of the french to defeat the english.
perhaps scotland could do the same again as its a toss up who hates us proud brits most
RESPECT HAS TO BE EARNED ITS NOT A RIGHT OF RANK

COflyontheWALL
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by COflyontheWALL » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:11 pm

lirjo wrote:HISTORICALLY over the many centuries scotland ireland and wales have all sought the help of the french to defeat the english.
Fat lot of good it did them. The Scots actually fought in wars as whole regiments at the command of the French. When Charles Edward Stuart got off the boat and tried to rouse the Scots in 1745, the only Frenchman he had at his back was a valet, and he was probably trying to pick Charlie's pocket.
To err is human. To blame someone else shows management potential.

Easylife
Elite Legion
Elite Legion
Sacred: 'Ranger'

Post by Easylife » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:47 pm

Historically the Scots are descended from the Norman Invaders anyway as were the English royalty.The border of Scotland moved up and down over the years and Scotland has only existed in its current form for a relatively short time in the scheme of things.
Would be interesting to see the reaction in the US if a State decided it wanted to break away .
A kite rises higher against the wind,then with it.

gaoler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by gaoler » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:05 pm

Let them do it... on the condition they finance themselves completely from within without a penny from Westminster ..... Would it be possible?? I doubt it.... unless they sell all the tennants super cans for scrap.........

lirjo
Executive Officer
Executive Officer
Class: 'Elder Bard'
Alignment: 'Thunder'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by lirjo » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:18 pm

COULD WE ALSO GET RID OF OUR NUMEROUS SCOTTISH MPS ??
RESPECT HAS TO BE EARNED ITS NOT A RIGHT OF RANK

frank2345babies
Official Member
Official Member
Sacred: 'Mage'

Post by frank2345babies » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:32 pm

Let's not forget that Scotland did win its independence on the battlefield England did not conquer Scotland to form Britain it was determined that at the time it would be mutually beneficial to unite. And yes in years gone bye Scotland, Ireland etc have formed alliances with the French and other countries but this does not take away the victories etc. look at Iraq and Afghanistan Britain is allied with the USA and other nations. Does this somehow mean that Britons battle efforts are not worthy of admiration etc.

Also top economists have studied the case of a completely independent Scotland and determined that we would actually most likely be a very prosperous country on our own due to relatively low populace. And incomes from north sea oil, renewable energies and our exports ie whiskey etc. However these predictions should be taken as just that predictions. Because obviously these things can be effected by the current world economy etc.

Again I am not saying Scotland should have independence nor am I stating that here in Scotland there is overwhelming support for independence. But don't paint us as some tiny unimportant back water country with no resources of our own leeching off of England's charity as this simply is not the case.

mattc
Official Member
Official Member

Post by mattc » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:32 pm

the scottish government is at least still willing to put money into the prison service. a very large jail due to open in march and 2 more on the way. you can say what you want about the snp but they are a better option than the tory government in england hell bend on privatising everything in its path. this is the reason so many scots are considering breaking away. scotland going it alone is a better thought of david cameron dragging us down as historicaly we get it before anyone else.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic